Twitter: Helman: 3QBs, 4RBs, 6WRs, 3TEs, 8OLs, 9DL, 7LBs, 10DBs, 3S

DiResta

Reaction score
No way there are 7 LB's worth keeping while only going with 9 on the DL.
they could always cut guys if a dlineman is released that they like or ends up on a PS
i think replacing linebackers is more difficult for this team

either way i think his numbers are close

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
LBs are typically more valuable on ST.

I see much more talent at defensive end.

I'm not trimming that down to 5 guys because Justin March Lillard can run down the field on kickoffs before they're taken out of the game entirely.

Just my opinion.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
they could always cut guys if a dlineman is released that they like or ends up on a PS
i think replacing linebackers is more difficult for this team

either way i think his numbers are close

Who's that 7th linebacker we can't do without? Compared to only keeping 5 defensive ends?

GhostOfPelluer

Reaction score
I see much more talent at defensive end.

I'm not trimming that down to 5 guys because Justin March Lillard can run down the field on kickoffs before they're taken out of the game entirely.

Just my opinion.
I understand, but you don't need 6 DEs if only 4 are going to play.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Also, are we counting Austin as RB or WR? What about Gregory once (if?) he's reinstated?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I understand, but you don't need 6 DEs if only 4 are going to play.

I think you do, especially if somebody gets hurt.

What I'm saying is that I'm not diluting what could be a real strength for a special teams linebacker.

If you're advocating keeping just 9 defensive linemen, who are the five ends you're keeping and who are you letting go?

GhostOfPelluer

Reaction score
I think you do, especially if somebody gets hurt.

What I'm saying is that I'm not diluting what could be a real strength for a special teams linebacker.

If you're advocating keeping just 9 defensive linemen, who are the five ends you're keeping and who are you letting go?
It depends on what happens in TC. Obviously Lawrence, Crawford, Charlton and Armstrong are probably locks. That leaves one spot between Tapper, Ealy and the bottom of the roster guys. I'm comfortable with that. With Collins, Jones, Ward and Price the likely DT until Irving comes back. If an injury hasn't already settled it, maybe you go long on DL when Irving returns, but we can cross that bridge when it gets here.

I certainly wish we had another DT of at least Terrell McClain's caliber.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It depends on what happens in TC. Obviously Lawrence, Crawford, Charlton and Armstrong are probably locks. That leaves one spot between Tapper, Ealy and the bottom of the roster guys. I'm comfortable with that. With Collins, Jones, Ward and Price the likely DT until Irving comes back. If an injury hasn't already settled it, maybe you go long on DL when Irving returns, but we can cross that bridge when it gets here.

No consideration for a Randy Gregory return then?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I very much agree with you on wanting a better DT option in the fold.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If he gets reinstated, sure. But I don't make any concessions for him. If it comes down to Gregory vs. Ealy vs. Tapper, so be it. I certainly wouldn't count on the guy yet, he hasn't earned it.

I'm not cutting Ealy or Gregory to keep a journeyman like March-Lillard around. Both of those guys have pedigree and production in their history. And can have a much bigger impact than some special teams linebacker in what is already a ho-hum group outside of the starters.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If he gets reinstated, sure. But I don't make any concessions for him. If it comes down to Gregory vs. Ealy vs. Tapper, so be it. I certainly wouldn't count on the guy yet, he hasn't earned it.

I think Randy Gregory is a better RDE pass rushing option after his time away than the miscast Tyrone Crawford could ever be.

If this team is trotting Crawford out there at right end week one, we've made a serious mistake and are playing at a distinct disadvantage from the start.

GhostOfPelluer

Reaction score
I'm not cutting Ealy or Gregory to keep a journeyman like March-Lillard around. Both of those guys have pedigree and production in their history. And can have a much bigger impact than some special teams linebacker in what is already a ho-hum group outside of the starters.
At this point March-Lillard has provided more in this league on teams than either Ealy or Gregory has provided to a defense. On talent alone, you have a great point. But in production, Ealy has essentially been the 2016 version of Benson Mayowa to this point in his career. Gregory has done even less.