Twitter: Helman: 3QBs, 4RBs, 6WRs, 3TEs, 8OLs, 9DL, 7LBs, 10DBs, 3S

GhostOfPelluer

Reaction score
I think Randy Gregory is a better RDE pass rushing option after his time away than the miscast Tyrone Crawford could ever be.

If this team is trotting Crawford out there at right end week one, we've made a serious mistake and are playing at a distinct disadvantage from the start.
I don't know how you can say that without seeing Gregory in action after his layoff. Crawford isn't a stud, but I believe you are underrating him. He's not a slouch, either.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
At this point March-Lillard has provided more in this league on teams than either Ealy or Gregory has provided to a defense.

Really?

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/MarcJu00.htm

On talent alone, you have a great point. But in production, Ealy has essentially been the 2016 version of Benson Mayowa to this point in his career. Gregory has done even less.

And yet both more than March-Lillard. Who's been on nearly as many teams as games played. And who - despite this team's issues and injuries at linebacker - still couldn't get in the field.

Ealy was nearly a Super Bowl MVP, and Gregory has top-5 talent.

I'm not cutting either for a scrub who's bounced around half the league.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
I'm not cutting Ealy or Gregory to keep a journeyman like March-Lillard around. Both of those guys have pedigree and production in their history. And can have a much bigger impact than some special teams linebacker in what is already a ho-hum group outside of the starters.

Right now NOBODY knows what or how Gregory will play after missing as long as he has. He's going to need to be spectacular to be given the benefit of the doubt on his trustworthiness on not getting suspended or banned again. If there are others that are playing as good or better than that trustworthiness factor will come into play.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't know how you can say that without seeing Gregory in action after his layoff. Crawford isn't a stud, but I believe you are underrating him. He's not a slouch, either.

Take a closer look at his 2017 production. People will point and say "four sacks isn't that bad".

For a right defensive end, it really is.
And in looking at how he got them? Even worse. All came against backup tackles and one against a tight end.

I'm not killing Crawford, but he's no right defensive end and this team is in trouble if he's starting out there.

GhostOfPelluer

Reaction score
Really?

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/MarcJu00.htm

And yet both more than March-Lillard. Who's been on nearly as many teams as games played. And who - despite this team's issues and injuries at linebacker - still couldn't get in the field.

Ealy was nearly a Super Bowl MVP, and Gregory has top-5 talent.

I'm not cutting either for a scrub who's bounced around half the league.
What has Ealy done since the SB? And talent means nothing if you can't get on the field. I'm not going to pretend March-Lillard is some world beater, he's not. He may not even make the team. Debating Gregory is pointless until he gets reinstated anyway - which is not guaranteed.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Right now NOBODY knows what or how Gregory will play after missing as long as he has. He's going to need to be spectacular to be given the benefit of the doubt on his trustworthiness on not getting suspended or banned again. If there are others that are playing as good or better than that trustworthiness factor will come into play.

I won't dispute trustworthiness, but if he's reinstated, that means he's passed "trust tests" for over a year. And they're keeping Irving, who can't pass those tests now.

Gregory has the talent and ability to be this team's best pass rush option at right defensive end.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What has Ealy done since the SB? And talent means nothing if you can't get on the field. I'm not going to pretend March-Lillard is some world beater, he's not. He may not even make the team. Debating Gregory is pointless until he gets reinstated anyway - which is not guaranteed.

What has March-Lillard ever done?

If you can answer that, we can then compare it to the others.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Agreed. I tried to name 5 LBs on the team and couldn't do it.

I think they'll keep 6, but that's stretching it based on the talent. It's certainly not worth going 7 and cutting productive pass rushers.

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
A lot of talent, but a lot of uncertainty - what kind of playing condition is he in? Might need some time to get there. Crawford is a Swiss army knife of talent. Could do OK at the 1-tech DT.

GhostOfPelluer

Reaction score
I won't dispute trustworthiness, but if he's reinstated, that means he's passed "trust tests" for over a year. And they're keeping Irving, who can't pass those tests now.

Gregory has the talent and ability to be this team's best pass rush option at right defensive end.
That's speculation. He's got 1 career sack. He's got more failed drug tests than sacks. He better have a tremendous TC to earn a spot on the roster.

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
I see White on the PS. and I wouldn't give him a lot of pre-season game looks. Maybe a half in the first pre-season game and a quarter in the other 3. I definitely wouldn't showcase his skills, assuming he has NFL skills, to the other 31 teams

GhostOfPelluer

Reaction score
What has March-Lillard ever done?

If you can answer that, we can then compare it to the others.
It's not about March-Lillard. You could change March-Lillard to any current available FA LB with ST ability and it wouldn't change my point. You don't leave your ST in a bind because a guy might play someday and he was good in college.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That's speculation. He's got 1 career sack. He's got more failed drug tests than sacks. He better have a tremendous TC to earn a spot on the roster.

Again, more production than March-Lillard's ever had. A guy with 15 career tackles.

Gregory was a top 5 draft talent. Some speculated that he might go #1 overall.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's not about March-Lillard. You could change March-Lillard to any current available FA LB with ST ability and it wouldn't change my point. You don't leave your ST in a bind because a guy might play someday and he was good in college.

Maybe it's not about March-Lillard because you've now seen that he's never done anything in this league?

And you don't hurt your defense and pass rush for a special teams guy. Especially when special teams is being phased out of this league.

You certainly don't drop a talent like Randy Gregory for special teams.

GhostOfPelluer

Reaction score
And you don't hurt your defense and pass rush for a special teams guy. Especially when special teams is being phased out of this league.

You certainly don't drop a talent like Randy Gregory for special teams.
It depends on what Gregory looks like after sitting out nearly two full seasons with drug suspensions. You don't make that decision now when you have no idea what he's going to be IF you get him back to practice.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It depends on what Gregory looks like after sitting out nearly two full seasons with drug suspensions. You don't make that decision now when you have no idea what he's going to be IF you get him back to practice.

But that's just what we (and Helman) seem to be doing, isn't it?

I remember when the guy returned after his last layoff (nearly a year). He got that sack you mentioned and was putting it to Jason Peters, one of the best left tackles in the game.

He looked better than ever.