Twitter: Helman: 3QBs, 4RBs, 6WRs, 3TEs, 8OLs, 9DL, 7LBs, 10DBs, 3S

cern

Reaction score
The numbers seem pretty much reasonable. The names remain to be seen.

GhostOfPelluer

Reaction score
But that's just what we (and Helman) seem to be doing, isn't it?

I remember when the guy returned after his last layoff (nearly a year). He got that sack you mentioned and was putting it to Jason Peters, one of the best left tackles in the game.

He looked better than ever.
If that's the case, he should have no problem beating out a journeyman (Ealy) and a guy made of glass (Tapper).

jwooten15

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I'm hoping we sign a couple wild card vets once they're released during training camp.

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What about Joe Thomas? Not good twitch but good strength and is fast enough on passing downs.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If that's the case, he should have no problem beating out a journeyman (Ealy) and a guy made of glass (Tapper).

And a "journeyman (Ealy)" will have no trouble beating out a never-was scrub like March-Lillard over a few special team's snaps.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What about Joe Thomas? Not good twitch but good strength and is fast enough on passing downs.

I think he's a lock to make the team barring injury. I'd currently put him at #4 of the 6 linebackers they do keep.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
I won't dispute trustworthiness, but if he's reinstated, that means he's passed "trust tests" for over a year. And they're keeping Irving, who can't pass those tests now.

Gregory has the talent and ability to be this team's best pass rush option at right defensive end.

Again the may have before his time off but again right now NOBODY knows what he's going to be when the pads come on. Anyone that says they know is only fooling himself. Also I read somewhere that Irving didn't technically fail another test but had an unacceptable reason to miss a test which then is officially listed as a failed test.

GhostOfPelluer

Reaction score
And a "journeyman (Ealy)" will have no trouble beating out a never-was scrub like March-Lillard over a few special team's snaps.
Yeah, his $800,000 contract and being on his third team in three years is indicative of a guy we can't afford to give up on.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Again the may have before his time off but again right now NOBODY knows what he's going to be when the pads come on. Anyone that says they know is only fooling himself. Also I read somewhere that Irving didn't technically fail another test but had an unacceptable reason to miss a test which then is officially listed as a failed test.

Failed/missed test. Doesn't matter. They still count the same and both prove he's still, currently unreliable.

Kaiser

Reaction score
I agree on keeping 10 DL, and I don't see a 7th LB or a 10th DB stopping them from keeping the 10th DL.

I can see an argument for the loser of the epic Chris Covington-Justin March Lillard battle making the 53 - but can someone tell me who our 5th Safety is? Even our 4th for that matter?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yeah, his $800,000 contract and being on his third team in three years is indicative of a guy we can't afford to give up on.

Compared to March-Lillard's huge salary and stellar career?

Again, at least he's done something in this league. And out in a Super Bowl MVP level performance when it mattered most. Compared to a stiff you can't seem to bear to part with. Maybe he's a relative?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I agree on keeping 10 DL, and I don't see a 7th LB or a 10th DB stopping them from keeping the 10th DL.

I can see an argument for the loser of the epic Chris Covington-Justin March Lillard battle making the 53 - but can someone tell me who our 5th Safety is? Even our 4th for that matter?

Currently? No. There aren't four safeties worth keeping right now. Maybe both feel that the Earl Thomas deal eventually does happen?

GhostOfPelluer

Reaction score
Compared to March-Lillard's huge salary and stellar career?

Again, at least he's done something in this league. And out in a Super Bowl MVP level performance when it mattered most. Compared to a stiff you can't seem to bear to part with. Maybe he's a relative?
What is your fascination with March-Lillard? You introduced him to this conversation and he may or may not even be a roster possibility. I just went along with the argument as he seemed to fit the bill as a ST-heavy LB in the Wilber mold. Which has more value to this team than a 6th DE who will never see the field.

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think he's a lock to make the team barring injury. I'd currently put him at #4 of the 6 linebackers they do keep.
Got him at #5 after Lee, Smith, LVE, and Wilson. The 6th is a toss up. Interesting speculation about Kyle Queiro being moved to LB from DB.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Agreed. I tried to name 5 LBs on the team and couldn't do it.
Lee
Vander Esch
Jaylon
Wilson
Joe Thomas

J.M-L
Covington

I generally prefer at least 10 DL.

The Irving suspension gives them an extra roster spot somewhere for 4 weeks.

LB is just 2 players on about 85% of the snaps.

7 LBs for 2-1/2 spots vs 9 DL for 4 spots seems out of whack.

If Wilson really isn't an option anywhere other than SLB which was the case last season despite Lee and Hitchens both being out, that makes his value low. They could play Jaylon at SLB. Joe Thomas could be Lee's backup. I don't know if Thomas is an option to backup SLB. Covington has the size for SLB but seemed a bit raw in college.

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Only fourth I see at this point might be Marqueston Huff, but only if no one else emerges.

Kaiser

Reaction score
Currently? No. There aren't four safeties worth keeping right now. Maybe both feel that the Earl Thomas deal eventually does happen?

Its either that or they are targeting some other veteran pickup. The only explaination after that would be that Jameil Showers has made the greatest improvement ever in the history of practice squad safeties.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score

According to what started this thread they only have 3 safeties so where did the 4th and 5th come from?

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
If you think about 7LBers this way, maybe Helman is right
3....starters
2 ...backups
2....special team

Remember Stephen comments earlier in the year how this position takes a beating. Other words, level of expected injuries are high.