Twitter: Helman: Cowboys still have every chance to be a great defense

CCBoy

Reaction score
Those defenses were really good.

I wouldn’t consider them generational.

Those defenses can win games.
If Dallas still puts it together...the Cowboys will still maintain game time of possession, yardage, and point differentials to win it all.

MyFairLady

Reaction score
Yeah the generational talk is so premature. The whole thing is basically revolving around one guy playing at a god tier level right now. As usual we are a pretty top heavy roster. There is a storm every year. The teams that weather the storm the best move on. If we throw up a white flag because a DB got hurt then we never really stood a chance anyway. Tyron Smith will probably never make it through the season. Martin gets dinged up almost every time he plays now. LVE is one hit away from retirement. This is football people. Either we have guys who are ready to step in and contribute or we deserve to get sent packing.

OGSixshooter

Reaction score
What makes Diggs unique is that he is "used to" covering the fastest receivers without having 4.3/4.4 speed himself. Diggs is plenty fast, but Alabama was a track meet. That's why he was not intimidated by Devante or Jerry Jeudy...he lined up against them in college.

Although Diggs was not the greatest tackler, the confidence he had to line up against the best...that will be lost. Our D just lost a lil swagger and opened up a potential hole.

This one really chaps my *** because those '92-95 playoff runs were haunted by one player - Larry Brown (and before him Isaac Holt). There's a hilarious video of Larry Brown proclaiming that "we own Jerry Rice". LOL...Kevin Smith owned Jerry Rice. Jerry Rice beat Larry Brown like a rented mule -early and often. It was nerve-wrecking knowing that if Haley or Tolbert didn't get home...Larry Brown was always going to be caught flat-footed. Or cause an untimely PI.

leaky right corner....

CCBoy

Reaction score
Who were the Cowboys LBs in 93 and 95... They won the Super Both of those seasons...
'93
Dixon Edwards
Ken Norton Jr.
Darrin Smith

'95
Dixon Edwards
Robert Jones
Godfrey Myles

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
i am not worried about Bland stepping up, I am worried about Lewis being targeted on third down consistently.
I guess I'm in the minority...I actually think we got better on defense. Bland is much better on the outside...Lewis is better than Bland playing the slot. Bland is just as much of a gambler as Diggs is....Won't shock me Bland leads us in interceptions.

TheMightyVanHalen

Reaction score
I don’t think this defense was near generational. Even before the Diggs injury. And I base that on the linebackers. LVE and Clark are average at best.

Past generational defenses had outstanding linebackers in their lineup.

‘75 Steelers: Ham and Lambert

‘85 Bears: Singletary, Wilson and
Marshall

‘00 Ravens: Lewis and Boulware

‘03 Bucs: Quarles, Brooks and Rudd

Yesterday morning this defense was great.

Generational it was not.
Lol The Steelers had a great D-line that let the LBers do their thing. So did the Bears, so did the Ravens, so did the Bucs. Our D was off to a start like those teams you listed. After 2 games it's silly for you to be saying they are not a generational defense.

WillieBeamen

BoysfanfromNY
Reaction score
We have the best player in the league on our defense

Of course they can still be great

blueblood70

Reaction score
He played outside in preseason games
do we have to remind folks that preseason is not game planned and he wasn't playing with Micah Parsons in the starting line and the front 7.. How many times have we got to remind fans about preseason wasn't important preseason meant nothing preseason was vanilla preseason is not the real deal..... I think maybe you needed to be reminded now you are you can thank me later you're overthinking this..

Dan Quinn and our real game plan defense is now at the forefront the pass rush is for real the strategies that stunts the twist the blitzes people coming from everywhere it helps the back end do I need to remind you I think I just did

Kingofholland

Reaction score
It all comes down to the pass rush. Even the best corners cant cover all day with no pressure

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I don’t think this defense was near generational. Even before the Diggs injury. And I base that on the linebackers. LVE and Clark are average at best.

Marshall

Generational it was not.
This has nothing to do with being generational. Lbers?

Cowboyny

Reaction score
From what I’ve seen, Bland is a much better slot corner.

However, he is a gamer who is also a ball hawk. This is much easier replacing with him than trying guys like Xavier Rhodes and Trayvon Mullen
We lose Diggs cover skills, but get a better tackler.

Cowboyny

Reaction score

Marshall

Generational it was not.
Media needs to slow down about generational defense, they just beat two terrible offensive teams who have even worse offensive lines. Cowboys have a good, solid defense, but they won't be pitching any more shutouts this season.

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
I guess I'm in the minority...I actually think we got better on defense. Bland is much better on the outside...Lewis is better than Bland playing the slot. Bland is just as much of a gambler as Diggs is....Won't shock me Bland leads us in interceptions.
I think you are in the minority on that one. Bland is one of the better slot corners in the league, but I do agree he could easily lead the team in interceptions on the outside, he is just a good football player.

Lewis on the other hand got picked on at times last season before he got injured, especially on third down but he is still a decent player.

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
Who were the Cowboys LBs in 93 and 95... They won the Super Both of those seasons...
Was 92 or 93 we had the number 1 ranked defense and no one on the defense made the pro-bowl? Ken Norton jr was a pretty good LBer.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Was 92 or 93 we had the number 1 ranked defense and no one on the defense made the pro-bowl? Ken Norton jr was a pretty good LBer.
#1 yards allowed
#5 points allowed
No Pro Bowls on Defense

#10 yards allowed
#2 points allowed
3 Pro Bowls on Defense

Offense
6 Pro Bowls
2 All Pro

8 Pro Bowls
2 All Pro

plymkr

Reaction score
The '92 Cowboys defense was even more dominant.
The 92 and 93 defenses were dominant because we would rotate guys in and out and everyone stayed fresh. Very similar to what we’re doing now. I believe the only player that stayed on the field was Haley. Besides Haley we rotated DL, LB and secondary. That was the big concern playing the Bills in the Super Bowl. The Bills played a no huddle offense and we didn’t have time to rotate guys in and out. Most “experts” predicted we would lose because of this. The experts were wrong. Point being we are using a similar system of rotation now that we used in 92 and 93.