Twitter: Helman practice notes

fivetwos

Reaction score
That’s against NFL rules to keep reporters out of the process. The owners have always recognized they needed the press- especially local reporters to cover their teams. It’s always been a cornerstone of the league’s success.
Agreed there.

Although the attempt at some sort of secrecy is much preferred over Jerry not being able to wait to jump in front of a mike and tell everyone about new looks.

Give us a semblance of hope.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
I think they have a valid point. I wonder who's undermining them giving stuff to Rapoport?

Rap- ESPN employee
Jane Slater- ESPN employee designated to cover the Cowboys

Any other ESPN employees yall know of at practice?

HungryLion

Reaction score
Wasn’t let go the past four years when Dak was only making $4 million total, and he only made that much because of performance boosters. Glad to see Dalton gets a pass because he just getting paid a minimum of $3 million for one year.

The whole concept is kind of a joke to me.

If the QB plays poorly and the team loses. What fan will really be like “oh well, the QB is only making 3 mil this year. So this loss doesn’t bother me”.

I mean seriously.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Seems that the biggest gripe is being funneled through the NFL reporters vs the local reporters.
I think it's a pretty fair gripe.

It's basically steps by the league to ensure that they always dictate the message.

GhostOfPelluer

Reaction score
Who do we want reporting news about the franchise we all love - corporate shills or unbiased third parties?

America's Cowboy

Reaction score

So glad to hear CB Anthony Brown is tearing it up in camp. I know many, if not most, in here don't think much of him, but I was so happy to hear the Cowboys resigned him to a new 3 year deal and kept him in Dallas. I said then that AB would have his best year yet in 2020, be much improved and become a key starter in our D-secondary. So far, early in camp, Anthony Brown is playing lights out. Looking forward to see him shine and make game changing plays this season.

:starspin:

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Interesting that no one is allowed to tweet out details during practice and Rappaport who is notoriously wrong on a lot had this during practice. I saw clarence hill on twitter complaining about it and he has a point.

Feel free to provide a few examples of Rappaport being “wrong a lot.”

The ironic thing here is Rapapport got the inside scoop before the local journalists were able to report.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Feel free to provide a few examples of Rappaport being “wrong a lot.”

The ironic thing here is Rapapport got the inside scoop before the local journalists were able to report.
Hahaha...someone there obviously texted the news to Rappaport. Is this why them local "journalists" are fighting for 1st dibs? Who cares. Their opinion articles stink half of the time anyway. Do they get bonuses if they report the news at Cowboys training camp first? Aww...poor babies.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
The problem is that sometimes coaches and front office staff often have their own connections to national media. The coaches could be asking for media to not live tweet and the PR director will enforce that. But nobody can enforce Jerry or Stephen texting someone (not saying that's the case here, but it does happen).
Ha, my first thought was who is to say this was any reporter... it was probably Stephen or Spalding or someone else with the team.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
I think they have a valid point. I wonder who's undermining them giving stuff to Rapoport?
If Rapp isn't at the practice field, the rules don't apply to him.
He likely has a contact within the Cowboys organization who's feeding him information. And since - presumably - he's not there, he's not bound to the same rules as the reporters who are there.
The benefits of distance reporting, if you have the contacts.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
I get why it sucks but in reality the Cowboys could just block all media from viewing practice and then they'd really be complaining.

Also, does it really matter who reported McCoy's injury first? I never remember who broke a story, I just remember the actual story. LOL.
To insiders, it matters ALOT.
Shefty has ascended to the ranks of top insider because he is always breaking information FIRST.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
ESPN could just send an intern to text Rap stuff he sees. They can impose that sort of thing on local reporters who want direct access, but someone like Rapaport or national guys aren't going to have the same restriction. Dalrymple will either have to amend the rule or the staff will come together and say no leaks specifically to Rap. Probably will break up the during-practice tweet restriction, seems archaic.

An ESPN intern at a Cowboys camp would be under the same restrictions. Besides, why would the Cowboys accept an ESPN intern at camp and NOT assume he/she was there as an agent of ESPN?

tyke1doe

Reaction score
It appears the local media is complaining about the rules and how it prevented them from reporting incident which is whining. If they are upset then their angst should be directed towards the person that broke the rules and not the rules themselves.
They're not going to get upset with someone who broke the rules, unless that person is in the same situation as they are. I don't think Rapp was at practice. Therefore, he's not bound by the same rules. If he can get another person at the practice facility to feed him the same information, it's open season, baby.
And the other reporters understand this. That's why they want the rules changed so they can report breaking news too.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
No problem... don’t let the reporters in to watch practice, then they can tweet to their hearts content, any time of the day or night... though what they’d tweet that anyone would want to read, I’m not sure.
I'm sure the commissioner wouldn't be happy with that.
There are certain accommodations teams have to make in their arrangement with the league, the networks and the press - all of whom are involved in promoting the game of football.
Giving access to the press is one of them.