Twitter: Helman practice notes

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Uh, the news business is about money. You think ABC, NBC, CBS, Fox Sports and ESPN are providing their services for free?
Getting information FIRST establishes your credibility, which means people will tune into your station for reliable, credible and quick information. That translates into dollars. :)

Well, maybe YOU don't follow anyone on twitter but others do. I've been in news stations and many chart the social media progress of their reporters.

Second, many fans don't care if he's cheating. Just as long as he feeds them information first, they're satisfied.

That's capitalism for ya. Shrug.
Well for example I dont know who reports first, and really dont care.
As long as it is the same day I dont think most people know who is actually first.

I can imagine letterman out on the street asking people if they had heard news about something, then asking but who reported it first?
All of them would say I dont know lol, except maybe you and a few others who actually keep track of this sort of thing.
I just dont see how posting news 30 min before someone else really matters. Unless it is world shaking big news, serious news, like 911 or something.
Football news isnt that important.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Reporters have agreements not to share certain information or to share it at a particular time. It's called an "embargo." :)
This is my point lol. They are allowed to share what the team allows them to share.

Boom

Just Dez It
Reaction score
As long as it is the same day I dont think most people know who is actually first.

I can imagine letterman out on the street asking people if they had heard news about something, then asking but who reported it first?
All of them would say I dont know lol, except maybe you and a few others who actually keep track of this sort of thing.
I just dont see how posting news 30 min before someone else really matters. Unless it is world shaking big news, serious news, like 911 or something.

If you were surfing through media (TV,FB,Twitter, whatever) for some news on a subject and a particular station/user/feed gave you info before others did, you'd focus on that particular one first, right? Probably follow them or go to them first. Did you care about the reporter? Probably not, but you know the news came from that place before anywhere else. If so, then you just became another viewer, or you became a follower of their feed. That all leads to money for the generator of the info.

You and I may not care about who posts it first, or some dude on YT who makes videos of himself eating 40 cheeseburgers, but both do translate into substantial cash if they get enough people watching them.

tyke1doe

Reaction score

You may not care but media executives do.

Define importance? You're on this forum aren't you? You click on stories about the Cowboys. Obviously, you care or you wouldn't be here.

Furthermore, most people can't tell you why they buy a certain product or why they had a compulsion to eat at McDonald's. But McDonald's cares. ;)

tyke1doe

Reaction score
This is my point lol. They are allowed to share what the team allows them to share.
But you're saying - or at least implying - that that's the ONLY way reporters get stories. It's not.

There are myriad of ways to collect information and break stories. I've written stories on people and never even talked to the main source because he refused to talk. And, yet, through documentation and talking to people who know that person, I was able to write a profile on a given subject.

And guess what? Even though the person didn't like the story (in one case a government official), he STILL talked to me afterward because it's not just about me or his vendetta against me, but about maintaining a relationship with the press.

The Cowboys, as with any other team, know they need the press and the media as much as the media and the press need them.

Just because FANS don't appreciate this relationship doesn't mean it doesn't exist and isn't operable.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
But you're saying - or at least implying - that that's the ONLY way reporters get stories. It's not..
Right now it absolutely is. There's no breaking news that isn't provided by teams, at their discretion.
We're not talking about personal interest pieces and that sort of thing. We're talking about breaking news. If a journalist wants to profile Dak, cool. Whatever. If a team wants to talk about the health of Dak's ankle, that's the news part, and that's given at the discretion of the team.