CFZ Hendershot Finding Niche Outside of the TE Position?

kskboys

Reaction score
Forty times forty TEs don't always correlate to success. Witten was about 4.68 but NFL CBs struggled to cover him. Witten and Byron Jones often practiced against each other and it seemed to defy physics seeing Witten breaking the ankles of an uber athlete like BJ.

Hendershot had a good 10 yard and 3-cone times.
- He "looks" like the quickest of the 4 TEs on the roster.
Context is your friend!!!! Read what I replied to!!!!

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Maybe I'm wrong. But I don't think there's anything that says we have to pay him 10 million.

Next year is a different year.

Or am I wrong?

On some levels, you keep Shultz now that he has integrated himself into these guys, sharing time and working well with them.

He's probably helping them more than we know. I notice a lot of comradery amongst them.

Gosh I sound old. lol
Dolphins will pony up the money for Shultz, he was a good franchise tag, but he will be gone like Ced Wilson.

conner01

Reaction score
6-5, 250...is the prototype size at TE for the Cowboys, and these two TE are just that. What separates these guys from Shultz is their toughness, RAC n swag. Dallas will be fine without Shultz next year as the draft has a cluster of TEs maybe even better than Fergshot.

Offensive scheme. CeeDee Lamb is the slot WR and he works deep to intermediate routes over the middle leaving minimal opportunities for the TE to stretch the seam. Moreover, I don't necessarily see seam stretching as a strength of Fergshot. Both guys run a 4.8 (40) meaning deep speed isn't ideal, however they have good 10 yard splits and short area quickness (20y shuttle/3cone). They young TEs skill set works well w/ CeeDee because they have become a budding terror underneath (10-5 yards) and in the redzone.

Draft: remember the size prototype stated earlier? The draft is filled with guys hitting right on those numbers (16) with varying skill sets. Some of these guys are much faster than the current TE group and better receiving threats, but no matter who they choose Cowboys should be loaded at TE for years to come. Cowboys could set a trend with 3 to 4 TEs on the roster and using them all to create mismatches.
Ferguson is faster than Hendershot

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
Hendershot actually has a really nice athletic score. He is average sized and has average long speed, but his 10 yard split shows good burst, and he crushed the agility drills. A 6.90 3-cone at 246 is sick.

Ferguson's numbers came in really similar but a tad slower. Average size, average speed, plus agility.

One thing I would like to mention is that the combine does an extremely poor job of measuring game strength, and TEs need it both in blocking and in bodying up defenders for catches. Witten, Gronk, Kelce... all three can or could move phenomenally well for 260 lb men, but they could also throw DBs around like Pop Warner kids after the catch.

If I had to put money down, I would say that Ferguson is stronger right now, but neither one is forklifting DEs out of the hole yet.

cnuball21

Reaction score
Hendershot actually has a really nice athletic score. He is average sized and has average long speed, but his 10 yard split shows good burst, and he crushed the agility drills. A 6.90 3-cone at 246 is sick.

Ferguson's numbers came in really similar but a tad slower. Average size, average speed, plus agility.

One thing I would like to mention is that the combine does an extremely poor job of measuring game strength, and TEs need it both in blocking and in bodying up defenders for catches. Witten, Gronk, Kelce... all three can or could move phenomenally well for 260 lb men, but they could also throw DBs around like Pop Warner kids after the catch.

If I had to put money down, I would say that Ferguson is stronger right now, but neither one is forklifting DEs out of the hole yet.

Yea, Hendershot is a good short area athlete but lacks the long speed to be a big threat outside of that.

Mr_437

Reaction score

Hendershot had 23 BP? Whoa. The basketball background really shows up in the footwork drills.

MyFairLady

Reaction score
[QUOTE="I know the nature of our system and society and have a pretty good grasp on psychology in general and how things go with these kinds of allegations, which are often merely control tactics women use when they don't get their way.[/QUOTE]
:eek:

conner01

Reaction score
They both run a 4.8 so it's whatever. They play well.
Ferguson has a faster 40 time
Hendershot appears quicker
Being quick in football may be more important than fast
I think both can be very solid players and are very likely to really improve over the next year or two. Typically TE’s develop slower than some positions. There is so much to learn about getting open in zone or man, developing physically and learning blocking schemes. Shultz wasn’t what he is today his first year.
Ferguson is a fairly polished blocker already and we know he can hurdle lol
Hendershot just looks quick and when you are mostly running underneath routes on a safety or LB that’s really an asset
I like both to develop into solid players if not more

conner01

Reaction score
Schultz is faster than both.

People's cockamamie perceptions crack me up. It's like, "I don't like him so the guy I like is faster."
I like both of them
Ferguson is already a decent blocker and Hendershot shows nice close area quickness
I think both have a chance to be solid players and they allow us to be comfortable moving on from Schultz who I also like
Both guys are gonna keep getting better as they get reps and learn
Schultz wasn’t that impressive as a rookie but he developed into a good player
They will too I think

Mr_437

Reaction score
Ferguson has a faster 40 time
Hendershot appears quicker
Being quick in football may be more important than fast
I think both can be very solid players and are very likely to really improve over the next year or two. Typically TE’s develop slower than some positions. There is so much to learn about getting open in zone or man, developing physically and learning blocking schemes. Shultz wasn’t what he is today his first year.
Ferguson is a fairly polished blocker already and we know he can hurdle lol
Hendershot just looks quick and when you are mostly running underneath routes on a safety or LB that’s really an asset
I like both to develop into solid players if not more
Totally agree, good assessment.

joseephuss

Reaction score
Yea, Hendershot is a good short area athlete but lacks the long speed to be a big threat outside of that.

But how many tight ends have long speed and are big threats? And how much does it cost to acquire one of those?

I honestly think it is way too earlier to determine of these two young guys are long term solutions at the tight end position. Dalton has proven to be an adequate TE. Can/should Dallas pay him what he will get on the open market? I'm leaning no. They will need to find someone and hopefully it is just someone who is already on the roster. Maybe they can bring in a FA or draft another. The Patriots paid two guys last year very well in free agency and I don't think they are getting their money's worth out of them.

CashMan

Reaction score
Dolphins will pony up the money for Shultz, he was a good franchise tag, but he will be gone like Ced Wilson.
Wilson has like 70 total yards on the season. You are probably right, it will be a team like the Dolphins or Bears making him a nice 5yr deal.

cnuball21

Reaction score
But how many tight ends have long speed and are big threats? And how much does it cost to acquire one of those?

I honestly think it is way too earlier to determine of these two young guys are long term solutions at the tight end position. Dalton has proven to be an adequate TE. Can/should Dallas pay him what he will get on the open market? I'm leaning no. They will need to find someone and hopefully it is just someone who is already on the roster. Maybe they can bring in a FA or draft another. The Patriots paid two guys last year very well in free agency and I don't think they are getting their money's worth out of them.

They’re rare. The OP said Hendershot can be “special” and I strongly disagree bc he doesn’t have that kind of speed.

Dudes like Kelce, Kittle and Potts can be game changers.

I’d let Dalton walk.

joseephuss

Reaction score
They’re rare. The OP said Hendershot can be “special” and I strongly disagree bc he doesn’t have that kind of speed.

Dudes like Kelce, Kittle and Potts can be game changers.

I’d let Dalton walk.

I'm leaning on letting Dalton walk, but if the price is right he might be worth keeping. Sure they could possibly do better, but they can also do worse. There aren't many good options in the tight end free agent market this upcoming off season and they probably won't be much cheaper. It will probably be trying to land another TE in the draft.

https://www.sportsgamblingpodcast.com/2022/11/29/2023-free-agent-tight-ends-the-dynasty-impact/

cnuball21

Reaction score
I'm leaning on letting Dalton walk, but if the price is right he might be worth keeping. Sure they could possibly do better, but they can also do worse. There aren't many good options in the tight end free agent market this upcoming off season and they probably won't be much cheaper. It will probably be trying to land another TE in the draft.

https://www.sportsgamblingpodcast.com/2022/11/29/2023-free-agent-tight-ends-the-dynasty-impact/

I mean I think we’d be fine with Ferguson and Pendershot moving forward. Ferguson looks like a Schultz clone.