CFZ Hendershot Finding Niche Outside of the TE Position?

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Hendershot could help the offense as a passing weapon, but I also mentioned he has the skills to be a backfield player in the running game as a blocker, runner, receiver and pre-snap motion piece.
I still can't call that 100 percent, but I do think Hendershot has a slightly higher ceiling becuase he has the potential to be a more diverse player who can play TE, FB, H-back and ST.

I can't get enough of guys who can execute multiple roles on the field. But the coaches gotta use all those roles.
Took three and a half years for them to send Pollard deep. And whaddya know, he got a good matchup and ran by a guy. Few LBs in the league have any hope of staying with Pollard deep (and we have 2 of them), Sending Pollard deep was money lying in the street for years. So yeah, nice to see them make use of Hendershot, but in general player usage has been poor around here.
I like the drafting. Often hate what happens to players after they're drafted.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
I can't get enough of guys who can execute multiple roles on the field. But the coaches gotta use all those roles.
Took three and a half years for them to send Pollard deep. And whaddya know, he got a good matchup and ran by a guy. Few LBs in the league have any hope of staying with Pollard deep (and we have 2 of them), Sending Pollard deep was money lying in the street for years. So yeah, nice to see them make use of Hendershot, but in general player usage has been poor around here.
I like the drafting. Often hate what happens to players after they're drafted.

I have to think they're saving those types of plays for later in the season.

We'll see. If they keep doing it, it'll be easier to defend. They have to know how to set up the mismatch.

cnuball21

Reaction score
I realize what a great athlete Witten was. I stood next to him. In cleats, the guy stood like 6'7''. Was huge.

Hendershot actually has speed that some aren't giving him credit for. Plus, it's not always about your straight line speed.

There are plenty of backs, take Malik Davis, for example, who run 4.7 40 yard dash. And they just have a faster gear somewhere that doesn't measure well in the 40s.

I'm only saying, his lack of 40 speed, doesn't necessarily negate him from becoming one of the better TEs. It's not all contingent on speed.

He brings other elements, as a player. Scrappy, tough, steady, smart, reliable hands. You can count on him, which is evident from his college tape. And he'll deliver almost every time.

That's what separates guys like Hendershot from the other prospects with higher athletic measureables. He plays with a certain level of consistency, and trustworthiness.

He did a lot in college with an infamously crappy QB.

Plus, I can't think of a better celebration, ever, than the Wack-a-Mole one. :D

Yea, that’s all fair but you said you think he can be special.

Special to me is Kelce, Kittle, Pitts…those dudes can flat out run and Hendershot can not.

Abe he can overcome a lack of speed but he’s be a serious outlier so I doubt it.

cowboyed

Reaction score
6-5, 250...is the prototype size at TE for the Cowboys, and these two TE are just that. What separates these guys from Shultz is their toughness, RAC n swag. Dallas will be fine without Shultz next year as the draft has a cluster of TEs maybe even better than Fergshot.

Offensive scheme. CeeDee Lamb is the slot WR and he works deep to intermediate routes over the middle leaving minimal opportunities for the TE to stretch the seam. Moreover, I don't necessarily see seam stretching as a strength of Fergshot. Both guys run a 4.8 (40) meaning deep speed isn't ideal, however they have good 10 yard splits and short area quickness (20y shuttle/3cone). They young TEs skill set works well w/ CeeDee because they have become a budding terror underneath (10-5 yards) and in the redzone.

Draft: remember the size prototype stated earlier? The draft is filled with guys hitting right on those numbers (16) with varying skill sets. Some of these guys are much faster than the current TE group and better receiving threats, but no matter who they choose Cowboys should be loaded at TE for years to come. Cowboys could set a trend with 3 to 4 TEs on the roster and using them all to create mismatches.
Well done Mr_437

jrumann59

Reaction score
6-5, 250...is the prototype size at TE for the Cowboys, and these two TE are just that. What separates these guys from Shultz is their toughness, RAC n swag. Dallas will be fine without Shultz next year as the draft has a cluster of TEs maybe even better than Fergshot.

Offensive scheme. CeeDee Lamb is the slot WR and he works deep to intermediate routes over the middle leaving minimal opportunities for the TE to stretch the seam. Moreover, I don't necessarily see seam stretching as a strength of Fergshot. Both guys run a 4.8 (40) meaning deep speed isn't ideal, however they have good 10 yard splits and short area quickness (20y shuttle/3cone). They young TEs skill set works well w/ CeeDee because they have become a budding terror underneath (10-5 yards) and in the redzone.

Draft: remember the size prototype stated earlier? The draft is filled with guys hitting right on those numbers (16) with varying skill sets. Some of these guys are much faster than the current TE group and better receiving threats, but no matter who they choose Cowboys should be loaded at TE for years to come. Cowboys could set a trend with 3 to 4 TEs on the roster and using them all to create mismatches.
The issue is finding one that can block as well as receive and be speedy. No more Blake Jarwin types.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I posted about Hendershot earlier this year having the ability to help the offense after our sluggish start in the opener. Most people who replied in that thread had a good laugh at my expense. So it's nice to get the last laugh here, because I mentioned in that post that Hendershot could help the offense as a passing weapon, but I also mentioned he has the skills to be a backfield player in the running game as a blocker, runner, receiver and pre-snap motion piece.

At the end of the day, it's not about my previous assessment, it's more about the Cowboys FO and scouting staff have been doing a good job up front, and then the coaches on the backend being optimistic/open-minded enough to give him a role outside of his previously projected role as solely a TE.

Kudos to Kellen Moore and Lunda Wells here.

Hendershot helps the offense because he's a load, you have to account for him. One negative in his scouting report was that he goes down too easily. But I looked at the tape and that's the case, sometimes, but not always. And he has room and the ability to improve there.

Like Sam Williams, he also comes off as a nice guy when he speaks. And his draft stock was killed after the criminal charges were levied against him from a previous relationship. This probably wouldn't have phased me if I was in charge, because I know the nature of our system and society and have a pretty good grasp on psychology in general and how things go with these kinds of allegations, which are often merely control tactics women use when they don't get their way.

But I'm really rooting for Hendershot as a player, because he has the ability to turn into something special as a player and he apparently is a hard worker on the field.

On top of Hendershot, Jake Ferguson is also impressive. I suspected that would be the case. But after the draft, I couldn't decide which prospect had more potential between Hendershot and Ferguson. I still can't call that 100 percent, but I do think Hendershot has a slightly higher ceiling becuase he has the potential to be a more diverse player who can play TE, FB, H-back and ST.
I really like the kid. Ferguson too. They seem to not just go through the motions. But really make an effort every time. Very much needed especially at that position.

I enjoyed reading your recount of past comments! Going against the grain is not a bad thing here. Good job!

Manster68

Reaction score
It was said on Mick Shots on Monday that the TE Coach was begging hard for Hendershot in the 5th round.
They just drafted Ferguson a round earlier.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yea, that’s all fair but you said you think he can be special.

Special to me is Kelce, Kittle, Pitts…those dudes can flat out run and Hendershot can not.

Abe he can overcome a lack of speed but he’s be a serious outlier so I doubt it.
Witten...

Gronk...

cnuball21

Reaction score
Ferguson and Gronk had the same 20-yard time.

Hendershot had the same 20-yard time as Witten.

Great. So they can win on short routes and some limited intermediate routes.

The “special” ones could win at all 3 levels.

AyeAtey

Reaction score
He's made "rookie" mistakes and then some. I hope not due to "inexperience".

They're all young but tough and talented, and each smells playing time so the staff are confident they've got some good things to work with.

Pardon me, but it's a learning process, little by little closer to "perfection"

And that goes for the whole team also; like how they're progressing, little by little.

Boys got lots of young ones and that's good for the future.

RonWashington

Reaction score
I could see Philadelphia making a hard run at Schultz in the off-season team him with Goedert give Hurts another outlet In the passing game . No matter his numbers at year end he will not sign a pay cut , 10 million per is starting point . Team him with Bellinger the young TE the Giants like . Might play him twice a season next yr.

RonWashington

Reaction score
With Ferguson Hendershot and McKeon no way shape or form should Dallas use a draft choice at this position just don’t see it .

Pass2Run

Reaction score
Ferguson and Gronk had the same 20-yard time.

Hendershot had the same 20-yard time as Witten.

Too many people get obsessed over speed.

Jerry Rice ran a 4.71 as a point of reference for speed.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
He's made "rookie" mistakes and then some. I hope not due to "inexperience".

They're all young but tough and talented, and each smells playing time so the staff are confident they've got some good things to work with.

Pardon me, but it's a learning process, little by little closer to "perfection"

And that goes for the whole team also; like how they're progressing, little by little.

Boys got lots of young ones and that's good for the future.

This UDFA class was pretty good, too. Malik Davis, Shampklin, Hendershot, Houston (don't forget about Houston), Juanyeh Thomas, James Empey, etcetera.

cnuball21

Reaction score

Simply stating the facts…Im not aware of a single “special” TE that ran a 4.8. I’m sure there is one out there but he’s an outlier.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Hendershot looks very quick.

Jerry Rice, Mike Irvin and Witten all won at the break of the route.

Even 10 years into his career, Witten could break the ankles of defenders.

I very happy with Ferguson, Hendershot and McKeon.
- However, if TE Mike Mayer is somehow available at the Cowboys pick, I would not hesitate to draft him. I'll be shocked if he is not a top 5 NFL TE in his 2nd or 3rd season.
- FYI, I wanted the Cowboys to from the 2nd round into the late 1st to draft Witten. I cussed Parcells when they bypassed Witten in the 2nd.