Video: Herd: Jimmy Johnson on Cowboys offseason

blueblood70

Reaction score

well that's ironic wide receiver by committee more acceptable than overpaying your star wide receiver and he's 100% correct it's always starts with the quarterback key players on the offensive line your pass rusher and your cornerback so something's gonna happen with these salaries for the wide receivers cause other teams are gonna wake up and realize you can't be paying that kind of money to one wide receiver when if someone can shut them down with their best corner or two guys and you don't have enough at #2 or #3 or enough weapons other places you're probably screwed.. It's funny I said this last week in a post about CD Lam he's pushing it Prescott contracts far more important and the fact they got Trayvon diggs done and they had to pay Tarrant still they had to redo Zach Martin and they're gonna have to do Parsons who are far more important than the wide receiver and I get it we needed to keep him but him not taking between 30 and 32 to me is greedy and he should yes ask for the world but you have to compromise lamb should have come to the middle but now the Cowboys at 33 I wouldn't move the needle that's it that's my final offer come play your final seventeen games if you don't like it will franchise tag you and the best bid wins you...

I've said it before not because Jimmy saying it but I think that it's ironic that them too are talking about it and it's real and the receivers like DJ Moore that's being more realistic that's what they should be being paid Justin Jefferson getting 35,000,000 is not the norm it's an anomaly and I think it was a couple years too early... Again I'm not saying don't pay lamb but if he wants any more than that that's just pure greed..

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

~Video marks 10:28 - 11:43~

Colin Cowherd: Is there a single team..? We all know who's good in this league. Detroit. I love Detroit's roster. I love their front office. I've always thought Goff is underrated. Best O-line in the sport but you know Jimmy? It is hard to break through it. It a losing culture... You start you know you go on a losing streak. You have... You know the Rams are getting to Super Bowls now. Kansas City. They think they're going to win in close games. Detroit fascinates me. When you were losing in Dallas early. How do you break that cycle because you took over a Cowboys team that was losing with Coach Landry. You lost early. How do you break that cycle before you've broken through and won a trophy?

Jimmy Johnson: The same way Dan Campbell's doing it uh there in Detroit. Work and being a physical football team. uh. That's what breaks it because if you work them hard enough they get to believing that they're going to win. So that instills the confidence that they're going to win. uh. So hard work and being a physical football team... If you're not a physical football team you're not real sure if you're going to win or not. You got to get some lucky breaks. But if you're a physical football team you go into the contest saying, hey, we're fixing to kick their rear end.

Exactly. This is what I was referring to as lack of grit I have observed with teams this franchise has fielded for almost the entire tenure under Jerry Jones as GM post-Johnson. The only exceptions were the two years following Johnson's departure and the Bill Parcells years.

Team leaders kept discipline and determination high after Johnson left. Parcells began grinding the necessary mindset back into his teams. Those were the exceptions. The status quo has been continuous lack of fortitude and drive to be the best in the league. Despite MULTIPLE coaching staffs, front office additions, etc.

Last January 14 was one of the best textbook examples of this prevailing lack of internal championship level commitment in the team. It is a reflection of a culture short-circuiting its own ultimate success goals.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
There’s only 1 elite QB in the league at the moment but all the QB’s signing contracts now are getting paid like it.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
well that's ironic wide receiver by committee more acceptable than overpaying your star wide receiver and he's 100% correct it's always starts with the quarterback key players on the offensive line your pass rusher and your cornerback so something's gonna happen with these salaries for the wide receivers cause other teams are gonna wake up and realize you can't be paying that kind of money to one wide receiver when if someone can shut them down with their best corner or two guys and you don't have enough at #2 or #3 or enough weapons other places you're probably screwed.. It's funny I said this last week in a post about CD Lam he's pushing it Prescott contracts far more important and the fact they got Trayvon diggs done and they had to pay Tarrant still they had to redo Zach Martin and they're gonna have to do Parsons who are far more important than the wide receiver and I get it we needed to keep him but him not taking between 30 and 32 to me is greedy and he should yes ask for the world but you have to compromise lamb should have come to the middle but now the Cowboys at 33 I wouldn't move the needle that's it that's my final offer come play your final seventeen games if you don't like it will franchise tag you and the best bid wins you...

I've said it before not because Jimmy saying it but I think that it's ironic that them too are talking about it and it's real and the receivers like DJ Moore that's being more realistic that's what they should be being paid Justin Jefferson getting 35,000,000 is not the norm it's an anomaly and I think it was a couple years too early... Again I'm not saying don't pay lamb but if he wants any more than that that's just pure greed..
I have long been a supporter of signing a group of mid-tier receivers over superstar receivers.

I am a firm believer in throwing numbers at every position except quarterback rather than paying out huge salary-cap limiting/consuming contracts.

If there was no salary cap I would not care, but there is and limiting your depth just to sign 2 or 3 players who will eat up 50% of your salary cap only to get injured and/or ultimately not live up to their contract is just not smart.

blueblood70

Reaction score
I have long been a supporter of signing a group of mid-tier receivers over superstar receivers.

I am a firm believer in throwing numbers at every position except quarterback rather than paying out huge salary-cap limiting/consuming contracts.

If there was no salary cap I would not care, but there is and limiting your depth just to sign 2 or 3 players who will eat up 50% of your salary cap only to get injured and/or ultimately not live up to their contract is just not smart.
Yeah I believe Justin jefferson's contract is as much of an anomaly as deshaun watsons was.. I mean all contract numbers are going up but if you look at the fact that Tyree Hill took 30 million / 3 years fully guaranteed and I realized it's a little different situation than a guy waiting on his first big contract but most of these contracts are around $30 million for a starting wide receiver. DJ Moore is a underrated underappreciated wide receiver in my opinion he took 27.5 million that's the less greedy side of I'm going to be rich anyway type player and that's why I believe most of those deals should be around that area for a top wide receiver I don't think you can continue to pay them 35 million and pay these quarterbacks this whole pay me the 2nd highest paid contract in league outside of quarterback nonsense that has to stop somebody has to stop it because it should be fair price fair market value is top five money it's always been pay your guy like the top five players in the league Trayvon diggs did that literally there was no hoopla on his contract because he was fair they found common ground really fast and he's still top five he was four at the time he signed he didn't ask to be the top paid player in the league outside of quarterback... So I can't be against the owner saying that that's gotta stop that trend of them demanding to not only get what's fair but to try to set records for non quarterbacks that's just not good in a capped league in my opinion.

so I don't think they're going to keep going up crazy like and in my opinion lamb should have just took the 1st 32,000,000 he was offered but this is OK because it's art and negotiations but if he refuses this one I'm off the lamb fan club and he can play out his $17 million fifth year option and then we can put the franchise tag on him and then we can get what we can for him which should be a good load...

Chasing6

Reaction score

Especially when there is a lot of talent at the WR position. Everyone understands the shortage at QB(supply and demand)

SinceDayOne

Reaction score
Sure is refreshing to hear Jimmy Johnson talk knowledgeably about the Cowboys in particular and football in general. Polar opposite of the ignorant babble you get from Jerry and Stevie Jones.

ChuckA1

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The problem is Jefferson's contract has now set a mark CeeDee is shooting for. It's a never ending target as each becomes the highest paid. I don't see how this ends well.

Chasing6

Reaction score
The problem is Jefferson's contract has now set a mark CeeDee is shooting for. It's a never ending target as each becomes the highest paid. I don't see how this ends well.
Problem is Jerry can't draw a line. Without CD we have no legit weapons other than Ferguson.

Without Dak, CD's number will drop significantly.

Jerry is held hostage at both positions. Similar to Martin last year, when he held out.

As a GM you want to negotiate from a position of strength. We never seem to be in the position with GM Jethro n

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
It is CAPflation. The myth is "the salary CAP will go up to X million dollars next year so we'll have room to sign our players. False. As the CAP increases so do players salaries and any increase will be taken up by that increase in salaries. Right now it might be that salaries are increasing faster than CAPflation for some positions, including QB and WR.
:hammer: :hammer: