Herd w/Colin Cowherd:"They will be more dependent on Dak Prescott than ever before."

plymkr

Reaction score
I’ve been thinking about this thought and it just doesn’t make sense. Why would you extend a guy who ends up “failing”? If you proved he couldn’t carry the team, wouldn’t you just move on? Why do this if you’re expecting to reward failure even at a “lower” price? He hasn’t been able to win with the help he’s been given since 2016.
I’m trying to figure out Jerry’s logic with not extending him and refusing to make the team better. I wonder if Jerry is worried about fan backlash if he let him walk so he’s setting him up to fail.

I’m just speculating here, but if that’s the case then I’d just assume cut him now and move on. Why waste a season?

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I’m trying to figure out Jerry’s logic with not extending him and refusing to make the team better. I wonder if Jerry is worried about fan backlash if he let him walk so he’s setting him up to fail.

I’m just speculating here, but if that’s the case then I’d just assume cut him now and move on. Why waste a season?
I believe what Jones has been doing is due to two main reasons. First, he does not seek negatively impacting the team's salary cap short term by cutting Prescott. Second, he wants a stronger leverage advantage in any possible contract negotiation with Prescott--which he essentially has none at present.

I am also more favorable in seeing Jones go full out salt the earth IF there is a strong possibility he plans on ending his relationship with Prescott. Just release him now. Face the consequences now no matter how harsh they may be. At the very least, Jones would be establishing a severely strong example of his expectations for the team. And not just for his roster but the entire league. It is not like he lacks the capacity for making extremely rash decisions (see Jimmy Johnson divorce).

plymkr

Reaction score
I believe what Jones has been doing is due to two main reasons. First, he does not seek negatively impacting the team's salary cap short term by cutting Prescott. Second, he wants a stronger leverage advantage in any possible contract negotiation with Prescott--which he essentially has none at present.

I am also more favorable in seeing Jones go full out salt the earth IF there is a strong possibility he plans on ending his relationship with Prescott. Just release him now. Face the consequences now no matter how harsh they may be. At the very least, Jones would be establishing a severely strong example of his expectations for the team. And not just for his roster but the entire league. It is not like he lacks the capacity for making extremely rash decisions (see Jimmy Johnson divorce).
I completely agree 100%. Well said

CowboyStar88

Reaction score

Oh, I know! It just got me thinking about the thought process of Jerruh.