CFZ Here’s why lost and what needs to happen to improve

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Unlike last year in that embarrassing first round loss to the niners, the Cowboys came out and played very hard tonight. They played with way more fire than they did last year vs the niners. And it still wasn’t enough. Hate to say it my friends but the niners are a better team than we are. Period. They deserve to be in the NFC championship game next Sun.

Being even more blunt- the niners had more talent at key positions than we do. They added Christian McAffrey. They have two of the best defensive players in the entire league in Nick Bosa and Fred Warner. Serious Question: What did we add this year that made us way better?

Here’s why we lost IMO:
  • The niners are a better team. They are better at multiple positions and they are better coached than we are. Kyle Shanahan is an offensive genius. Brock Purdy is an average NFL talent who is surrounded by top 5 talent at multiple positions. Their defense is top shelf.
  • I think we went as far as this team’s talent could have taken it. Dak is not good enough to carry this team. He can win playoff games if he has more of the top tier talent around him team like SF has.
  • The two interceptions were killers.
  • Micah Parsons needs help. He‘s great, but he’s not enough alone. We need lots of help at DL and in the secondary.
  • The niners and eagles got way better this off-season. We got a little better. We did not improve enough last off-season. They did. It’s that simple.
Here‘s a few things that should happen:
  • You can’t build with just the draft. FA and trades matter. The two NFC championship teams were aggressive this off-season. We were not. If we don’t learn how to get better in FA, this team will fall back not get better.
  • We do not have a great front office. They do NOT know how to build a playoff winner. We have 28 years of receipts. They don’t understand how to be aggressive in FA and trades and it shows. THAT MUST CHANGE.
  • Jerry needs to hire a strategic advisor to help plan their off-season. We must have an aggressive off-season or this team goes backward. The Jones boys don’t know what they’re doing.
  • They should explore trading Dak or get aggressive to surround him with more talent. This team does not have enough offensive talent at multiple positions.
This is just an early assessment. Lots more to think about.
But to me it’s crystal clear- this team does not have enough talent and lacks the front office strategic ability to fix it without help.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Here’s why we lost IMO:
  • The niners are a better team. They are better at multiple positions and they are better coached than we are. Kyle Shanahan is an offensive genius. Brock Purdy is an average NFL talent who is surrounded by top 5 talent at multiple positions. Their defense is top shelf.
I'm not going to disagree. But we are closer than you think. Good QB play tonight and we win.

cowboyec

Reaction score
bottom line for me...
we're just not there yet.
close.
but not good enough.
i have 0 answers on how to close the gap.....and 0 way to execute those moves if i did.
the cowboys have an owner...and i'm not him.

kevm3

Reaction score
The issue is our FO, who continues to be cheap. Jalen Hurts isn't better than Dak, but he might potentially go to the superbowl because they SURROUNDED him with talent. They were AGGRESSIVE in free agency. Prior to that, we were stomping the Eagles out, but our FO decided to trade away our best receiver for a fifth rounder and did nothing with the money. I'm sorry, but you can't win like that when other teams are going all in to get better.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm not going to disagree. But we are closer than you think. Good QB play tonight and we win.
I’m not sure about that. I’ve come to believe Dak is more like Jimmy Garropolo than a QB that can carry a team. I do believe we can win playoff games with him. But not with the talent we have now. We were beaten by a better team tonight.

Aven8

Reaction score
The issue is our FO, who continues to be cheap. Jalen Hurts isn't better than Dak, but he might potentially go to the superbowl because they SURROUNDED him with talent. They were AGGRESSIVE in free agency. Prior to that, we were stomping the Eagles out, but our FO decided to trade away our best receiver for a fifth rounder and did nothing with the money. I'm sorry, but you can't win like that when other teams are going all in to get better.
Nice post!

Zman5

Reaction score
We lost because both OC and the QB crap the bed once one of our best players on offense went out with an injury.
I posted on the pregame thread that the turnover was going to be the difference in this game because the two teams were pretty much evenly matched.

Dak absolutely couldn't afford to throw an INT let alone two in this game. It was going to be a close game and we were already handicapped due to Maher situation so we couldn't afford to give them easy points.

kevm3

Reaction score
This team is an utter embarrasment and it's getting hard to continue supporting when you know nothing will change and next year around this time, other fans will be laughing at us as we look like a circus over and over.

Cowfan75

Reaction score
Last point is the problem. Jerry is never all-in. Ever.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
1. NO one could open besides Lamb.
Because we don’t have enough talent at the skill positions. Who’s an elite player on offense? 1. Lamb 2. Pollard.
That‘s it. That’s not enough talent to win in the playoffs.

Put it another way- we did not improve this off-season at receiver or RB. The niners and eagles did. That’s why they’re in the championship game.

jay94

Reaction score
Because we don’t have enough talent at the skill positions. Who’s an elite player on offense? 1. Lamb 2. Pollard.
That‘s it. That’s not enough talent to win in the playoffs.

Put it another way- we did not improve this off-season at receiver or RB. The niners and eagles did. That’s why they’re in the championship game.
rb's a dime a dozen, receiver definitely not the case, it's a passing league, so 3 viable options are necessary at all times.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Unlike last year in that embarrassing first round loss to the niners, the Cowboys came out and played very hard tonight. They played with way more fire than they did last year vs the niners. And it still wasn’t enough. Hate to say it my friends but the niners are a better team than we are. Period. They deserve to be in the NFC championship game next Sun.

Being even more blunt- the niners had more talent at key positions than we do. They added Christian McAffrey. They have two of the best defensive players in the entire league in Nick Bosa and Fred Warner. Serious Question: What did we add this year that made us way better?

Here’s why we lost IMO:
  • I think we went as far as this team’s talent could have taken it. Dak is not good enough to carry this team. He can win playoff games if he has more of the top tier talent around him team like SF has.
  • Micah Parsons needs help. He‘s great, but he’s not enough alone. We need lots of help at DL and in the secondary.
  • The niners and eagles got way better this off-season. We got a little better. We did not improve enough last off-season. They did. It’s that simple.
  • You can’t build with just the draft. FA and trades matter. The two NFC championship teams were aggressive this off-season. We were not. If we don’t learn how to get better in FA, this team will fall back not get better.
  • We do not have a great front office. They do NOT know how to build a playoff winner. We have 28 years of receipts. They don’t understand how to be aggressive in FA and trades and it shows. THAT MUST CHANGE.
  • Jerry needs to hire a strategic advisor to help plan their off-season. We must have an aggressive off-season or this team goes backward. The Jones boys don’t know what they’re doing.
  • They should explore trading Dak or get aggressive to surround him with more talent. This team does not have enough offensive talent at multiple positions.
But to me it’s crystal clear- this team does not have enough talent and lacks the front office strategic ability to fix it without help.
Love your threads, appreciate the effort. The Jones boys are not nearly as good at their jobs as they've convinced themselves, and some fans, to believe.

They'll continue doing what they do, and falling short going on three decades, and we will get the same old words each time. Wash, rinse, and repeat. :rolleyes:

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score

Here’s why we lost IMO:
I think it starts and stops with coaching. For 3 quarters Dallas controlled the game with their defense. If the offensive coaches could've done anything during those 3 quarters this game is over by the 4th quarter.

I really don't think the niners are better at all.