CFZ Here’s why lost and what needs to happen to improve

Pentagruel

Reaction score
Love your threads, appreciate the effort. The Jones boys are not nearly as good at their jobs as they've convinced themselves, and some fans, to believe.

They'll continue doing what they do, and falling short going on three decades, and we will get the same old words each time. Wash, rinse, and repeat. :rolleyes:
Honestly, I think we need to adjust our opinions as things change. Certainly, management in the past has been various degrees of bad, but they have absolutely been better the last few years, which is why we have convincingly made the playoffs two years in a row, something that hasn’t happened in a long time. They have put together a strong roster and are continuing to improve it. I think the Cowboys have the roster to compete with the best in the league, which they did tonight, even if they so frustratingly fell short.

With that said, they have made mistakes as well and it has in my opinion cost them a legitimate chance to progress deeper into the playoffs. They traded Cooper and didn’t replace him adequately in a league that is heavily focused on passing and elite pass catchers who have become almost as important as QB’s themselves. Though the Jones boys have drafted well, added good mid level FA for good deals, made some good mid season pickups, they absolutely are too conservative to go for that killing blow and land a big time FA because they are too fearful of screwing up and being locked into a long term deal. You need to take risks for rewards and I sincerely hope that they go big this off-season for a WR and or a disruptive force in the interior of the DL alongside their usual strong drafting ways.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I disagree on the talent. We shut down McCaffrey, Deebo, etc. Kittle had a few big plays. But for lapses by Diggs they wouldn't have had the long TD drive and Dak gave them easy points. Bosa made little impact. Warner was really good. 49ers offensive coaching is world's better. That is the difference.
Honestly…do you believe we are as talented as SF?
SF offense weapons: McAffrey, Samuel, Kittle, Aiyuk, Mitchell
Dal offensive weapons: Lamb, Pollard…Schultz? Zeke? Gallup?

They are better. Their offense made more plays than we did.

jay94

Reaction score
The only thing that is going to fix this is get the Jones family out of the GM position. They are TERRIBLE. Almost 30 years of losing results and we keep thinking changing out the other pieces will do anything
Ok so give up? That isn't happening.

jwooten15

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
We absolutely need a better QB. I certainly agree Dak was awful tonight. But two big points here:
1. Where/how are we going to get a better QB? Trade? Draft?
2. What “elite” weapons does this offense have? Pollard and Lamb. That’s it. Look at the niners weapons.
I agree with you there. Most definitely easier said than done when it comes to getting a better QB. But teams like the Rams and Bucs found a way to do it — and we all know how those gambles turned out. The Cowboys like to bargain shop for QBs, so they’ll probably never realistically go after one in FA or the draft.

The Cowboys definitely have the cap space to give Dak more weapons. I wish they would!

I always value your insight Bob! Very articulate and reasonable to debate with

Cas2800

Reaction score
We absolutely need a better QB. I certainly agree Dak was awful tonight. But two big points here:
1. Where/how are we going to get a better QB? Trade? Draft?
2. What “elite” weapons does this offense have? Pollard and Lamb. That’s it. Look at the niners weapons.
They can afford to pay the extra talent. They dont have that huge QB salary holding them back. Therein lies the difference.

Creeper

Reaction score
I think the Cowboys are right there with the 49ers and maybe even a step ahead. The Cowboys lost one of their best playmakers in the 2nd quarter and it clearly hurt their offense. The Cowboys played poorly I thought we some bad penalties, the INTs, the missed XP, and frankly in the 2nd half there was some poor tackling. But despite the mistakes, the Cowboys were in this game on the road for the 4th week in a row. This doesn't mean the Cowboys are ready to win a SB, they aren't, but they are better than the 49ers. Maybe if the 49ers beat the Eagles next week I will feel differently. But I think the Eagles are going to handle the 49ers pretty easily. Purdy ain't all that.

I am not blaming the refs but I thought the refs were calling the Cowboys closer than they were the 49ers. I thought we were getting bad spots all night while the 49ers were getting good spots all night.

Having said that, the Cowboys need to be smarter. The last 45 seconds of the game capped off a season of stupidity. Not that it mattered but Schultz made two bonehead plays at the end of the game that probably didn't matter but could have mattered. That was a lack of situational awareness and urgency. You want to win? Then drag that defender 15 yards to the sidelines to get out of bounds to stop the clock like Engram did to Kearse. Get that second foot down on a gimme play to make sure you keep the 15 yards to set up a legitimate hail Mary attempt.

The Cowboys could have played a better game. They could have been coached better. but again, despite all that, they were in that game. SF is overrated IMO.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I agree with you there. Most definitely easier said than done when it comes to getting a better QB. But teams like the Rams and Bucs found a way to do it — and we all know how those gambles turned out. The Cowboys like to bargain shop for QBs, so they’ll probably never realistically go after one in FA or the draft.

The Cowboys definitely have the cap space to give Dak more weapons. I wish they would!

I always value your insight Bob! Very articulate and reasonable to debate with
Thanks brother. Tonight was another frustrating night. I’m hoping (probably in vain) that JJ and SJ wake up and realize they need some help because they are getting schooled in the off season by other GMs. I actually think in the end, the Off-season was a big reason we lost tonight.

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
I'm not going to disagree. But we are closer than you think. Good QB play tonight and we win.
I'll disagree....I don't think the better team won today. 3 reasons why we lost....#4 turning the ball over.....Pollard getting hurt. Quinn way too passive on defense. Should have blitzed a 7th round rookie into submission.

kevm3

Reaction score
Ok so give up? That isn't happening.
Bash the Jones boys until they hire an actual GM. Otherwise we can keep taking the same hopium and imagine ourselves in the superbowl while we enjoy another 2nd round exit come this time next year.

We give away our best WR for a 5th rounder. The Eagles get a top 10 pick for someone they wanted to get rid of.

jay94

Reaction score
I'll disagree....I don't think the better team won today. 3 reasons why we lost....#4 turning the ball over.....Pollard getting hurt. Quinn way too passive on defense. Should have blitzed a 7th round rookie into submission.

How does that translate into scoring more points? The offense was the issue this game.

nobody

Reaction score
Here's the main reason we lost:

i

okstateCowboy

Reaction score
I’m not sure about that. I’ve come to believe Dak is more like Jimmy Garropolo than a QB that can carry a team. I do believe we can win playoff games with him. But not with the talent we have now. We were beaten by a better team tonight.
If we had Jimmy G, we’d be playing in the NFC Championship next week.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
We just have a difference of opinion. The niners have many more offensive weapons than we do. They have McAffrey, Samuel, Kittle, Aiyuk, Mitchell. We have Lamb, Pollard, Schultz…Zeke? Who’s better?

Defense? We have Micah who’s great. They have Bosa, and Fred Warner who are both great. Their defense is better.

Just my opinion but the niners have more talent.
Which is fine. Nobody agrees on everything.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
This might be long, but oh well.

1. The Cowboys have tried everything at QB except a 1st round QB, why?
2. We've tried washed up vets, we've tried overreaching in the draft, we've tried X baseball players, we've tried undrafted rookies, and we've tried late round QBs.
3. What GM in the NFL would have his job if they didn't try to draft a top QB in the 1st round, besides Jerry?
4. We don't have speed on offense at all, except our 1 runner.
5. Since we like the TEs so much, why not draft a top-tier TE?
6. What do we have against LARGE DTs and linebackers?
7. Jerry needs to understand something about a top-tier QB. He either has a strong arm or very accurate, we have neither.
8. If you draft and fall upon a great QB, you will competing for SBs the next 12 to 15 years, pending injury.
9. If you fail at drafting a first round QB, do it again.