CFZ Here’s why lost and what needs to happen to improve

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
This^^^ Hell, he's proven he can win a playoff game or two. The problem is the more you advance, the more talent you better make sure he has. The Eagles and 49ers have at least 3 legit offensive playmakers, the Cowboys have one ( CD and maybe Pollard). What's interesting is you can argue our D pretty much shut down their offense. They couldn't do anything until near the end of the game.
CeeDee played his heart out, but arguably the biggest game of his career, Dak was what he's been all year, inconsistent.....shame on him.
Now what's the other similarity which both Eagles and 49ers have ....rookie QB's

rags747

Reaction score
Listen I think we all knew going in that SF was the more talented team and yet our defense showed up bigtime. Our OL was actually quite fine, did Bosa really wreck any havoc on either of out OT’s? Jimmy G imo would be a better option than Dak at this point. This game was there for the taking with a little help from the qb position, unfortunately we got nothing. QB is the position that needs to be upgraded. As far as from office strategy I’m quite comfortable with Will McClay in that position. We just need to be willing to spend some cash!

gtb1943

Reaction score
Listen I think we all knew going in that SF was the more talented team and yet our defense showed up bigtime. Our OL was actually quite fine, did Bosa really wreck any havoc on either of out OT’s? Jimmy G imo would be a better option than Dak at this point. This game was there for the taking with a little help from the qb position, unfortunately we got nothing. QB is the position that needs to be upgraded. As far as from office strategy I’m quite comfortable with Will McClay in that position. We just need to be willing to spend some cash!
Starting right after the SB and until after the draft the Jones need to be locked up somewhere in a place where there are no phones or any way to communicate with anyone.

ESisback

Reaction score
Unlike last year in that embarrassing first round loss to the niners, the Cowboys came out and played very hard tonight. They played with way more fire than they did last year vs the niners. And it still wasn’t enough. Hate to say it my friends but the niners are a better team than we are. Period. They deserve to be in the NFC championship game next Sun.

Being even more blunt- the niners had more talent at key positions than we do. They added Christian McAffrey. They have two of the best defensive players in the entire league in Nick Bosa and Fred Warner. Serious Question: What did we add this year that made us way better?

Here’s why we lost IMO:
  • The niners are a better team. They are better at multiple positions and they are better coached than we are. Kyle Shanahan is an offensive genius. Brock Purdy is an average NFL talent who is surrounded by top 5 talent at multiple positions. Their defense is top shelf.
  • I think we went as far as this team’s talent could have taken it. Dak is not good enough to carry this team. He can win playoff games if he has more of the top tier talent around him team like SF has.
  • The two interceptions were killers.
  • Micah Parsons needs help. He‘s great, but he’s not enough alone. We need lots of help at DL and in the secondary.
  • The niners and eagles got way better this off-season. We got a little better. We did not improve enough last off-season. They did. It’s that simple.
Here‘s a few things that should happen:
  • You can’t build with just the draft. FA and trades matter. The two NFC championship teams were aggressive this off-season. We were not. If we don’t learn how to get better in FA, this team will fall back not get better.
  • We do not have a great front office. They do NOT know how to build a playoff winner. We have 28 years of receipts. They don’t understand how to be aggressive in FA and trades and it shows. THAT MUST CHANGE.
  • Jerry needs to hire a strategic advisor to help plan their off-season. We must have an aggressive off-season or this team goes backward. The Jones boys don’t know what they’re doing.
  • They should explore trading Dak or get aggressive to surround him with more talent. This team does not have enough offensive talent at multiple positions.
This is just an early assessment. Lots more to think about.
But to me it’s crystal clear- this team does not have enough talent and lacks the front office strategic ability to fix it without help.
Good post, good points, I agree. IMHO, we need help at DT, WR, QB, RB, CB, and OL. Steele out hurt us; a consistent WR2 to stretch the field is a must; I like Dak, but I just don’t have the confidence in him like I did for Staubach or Aikman. He can’t carry the team. Brown and Lewis being out didn’t help the secondary. The lack of continuity in the OL hurt us too.

Now, though, comes the part that hurts most—the looonnggg off-season, 7+ months of ENDLESS handwringing and speculation. The crying, complaining and lengthy diatribes, and the epic amounts of smug smacktalk and snarky memes on social media. Oh goody!

stuckindc

Reaction score
Unlike last year in that embarrassing first round loss to the niners, the Cowboys came out and played very hard tonight. They played with way more fire than they did last year vs the niners. And it still wasn’t enough. Hate to say it my friends but the niners are a better team than we are. Period. They deserve to be in the NFC championship game next Sun.

Being even more blunt- the niners had more talent at key positions than we do. They added Christian McAffrey. They have two of the best defensive players in the entire league in Nick Bosa and Fred Warner. Serious Question: What did we add this year that made us way better?

Here’s why we lost IMO:
  • The niners are a better team. They are better at multiple positions and they are better coached than we are. Kyle Shanahan is an offensive genius. Brock Purdy is an average NFL talent who is surrounded by top 5 talent at multiple positions. Their defense is top shelf.
  • I think we went as far as this team’s talent could have taken it. Dak is not good enough to carry this team. He can win playoff games if he has more of the top tier talent around him team like SF has.
  • Micah Parsons needs help. He‘s great, but he’s not enough alone. We need lots of help at DL and in the secondary.
  • The niners and eagles got way better this off-season. We got a little better. We did not improve enough last off-season. They did. It’s that simple.
  • You can’t build with just the draft. FA and trades matter. The two NFC championship teams were aggressive this off-season. We were not. If we don’t learn how to get better in FA, this team will fall back not get better.
  • We do not have a great front office. They do NOT know how to build a playoff winner. We have 28 years of receipts. They don’t understand how to be aggressive in FA and trades and it shows. THAT MUST CHANGE.
  • Jerry needs to hire a strategic advisor to help plan their off-season. We must have an aggressive off-season or this team goes backward. The Jones boys don’t know what they’re doing.
  • They should explore trading Dak or get aggressive to surround him with more talent. This team does not have enough offensive talent at multiple positions.
But to me it’s crystal clear- this team does not have enough talent and lacks the front office strategic ability to fix it without help.
We had the defensive game plan to shut down their offense, which we did. Diggs could have altered their TD drive on two separate plays. Offensively we were settling in and starting to get control. Pollard would have busted some long ones Zeke had two runs that Pollard would have gashed them. Pollard changed the entire complexion of the offense. Just those two players alone changed the entire game. We had the team to beat San Fran. So , they weren’t better than us. They executed better. We were getting to Purdy and had him rattled. Losing Pollard and then Dak turning into a pumpkin was why we lost.

BoyzBlaster

Reaction score
Respectfully, there's no point in surrounding Dak with more talent. Dak's decision making/processing is the problem and nothing will change that. In fact, it seems to be getting worse, not better. Addressing anything else is like doing a makeover of your bathroom and ignoring the fact there is an enormous turd in the toilet and you can't flush it down. The enormous turd is the problem - not the color of the towels.

Silverz1972

Reaction score
Dak needs to practice with his other players. He has a security blanket in lamb and Schultz. Off-season he needs to take the backup TEs, Gallup, brown, and any other of backup and get familiar with them. Through passes to them before a game like Peyton manning used to.

Peyton was a yearly loser but one year we might get a Chicago bears team and things will line up.

Jay777

Reaction score
I hate when we only need 5 yards on 3rd or 4th down and he sends all 4 receivers on vertical routes 20+ yards downfield. He never schemed rub routes and his run scheme stinks even with TP. He is very predictable.
That drives me nuts, too.

Another thing that bugged me all season… When they’re running the ball well and they shift gears and try some kind of cute trick play ending in incomplete passes.

If the run has been working, STICK WITH IT! These cute plays and incomplete passes lead to third and long plays.

Jay777

Reaction score
I think a strategic advisor would be a very good idea. I think having an advisor to help them figure out where to go next with the team would allo them to figure out where we need better players.
What good would a strategic advisor do? Jerry Jones would listen to him and ignore any advice. Jerry Jones is the problem. He needs to stick to the business side of things and leave the football to the real professionals.

Jay777

Reaction score
The owner really needs to fire the GM…

Oh… Wait…

<sigh>

Seriously, I wish Jones’ ego would allow him to hire a GM and HC and just let them do their *****’ jobs, without sticking his nose in their business!!!

Jones’ ego is the biggest problem.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score

Here’s why we lost IMO:
:hammer::hammer::hammer:

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
Because we don’t have enough talent at the skill positions. Who’s an elite player on offense? 1. Lamb 2. Pollard.
That‘s it. That’s not enough talent to win in the playoffs.

Put it another way- we did not improve this off-season at receiver or RB. The niners and eagles did. That’s why they’re in the championship game.
Lost Cooper for peanuts ...
Would have been nice to have him against the 9ers

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
What good would a strategic advisor do? Jerry Jones would listen to him and ignore any advice. Jerry Jones is the problem. He needs to stick to the business side of things and leave the football to the real professionals.
Yes Jay, you are correct...
We are stuck until he steps down...

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
Love your threads, appreciate the effort. The Jones boys are not nearly as good at their jobs as they've convinced themselves, and some fans, to believe.

They'll continue doing what they do, and falling short going on three decades, and we will get the same old words each time. Wash, rinse, and repeat. :rolleyes:
:mad::confused::facepalm::banghead:

My thoughts on our GM.

erod

Reaction score
Dallas outplayed San Fran, but Purdy rose to the occasion in the end, and Dak fell in his face.

Simple as that.

Praxit

Reaction score
Time to trade Dak
....its good idea. But not realistic. THey wont fire Dak. At least not anytime soon.

Lets see if they, rid of KM. We can start there. WHich I feel would be good idea.

btgboys41

Reaction score

Here’s why we lost IMO:
But to me it’s crystal clear- this team does not have enough talent and lacks the front office strategic ability to fix it without

Here’s why we lost IMO:
I will half agree with you. The only talent disparity in this game was the two lines, and the QB play. All the other peripheral positions and talent disparity, to me, amount to nothing. Until or unless this team gets a difference-maker QB, it will just need to be definitively better on both lines.