CFZ Here’s why lost and what needs to happen to improve

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
This is spot-on analysis. I would like to expand upon what you said about FA moves and trades. I would say:
  • A team should build primarily through the draft, and then turn to FA moves and trades to plug any remaining holes.
This team has dramatically improved how well it drafts. If you compare the last 8 years or so with the late 90s, you can see a world of difference. That's a good thing. During those late 90s, the team also mostly got burned via their FA acquisitions and trades, and so I think it turned to the notion "you build through the draft," which is true ... partially. The thing is, FA moves/trades can very easily be done poorly in a way that hozes your team. See: Joey Galloway and Roy Williams (WR) trades. I suspect those misadventures made this front office gun shy. They got it in their heads "just draft well."

I like your idea of bringing in some kind of strategic advisor to help in this area. Where you find such a person is a big question mark, but it could be done. I would also like to point out that there are different types of FA moves, primarily two:
  • Signing a basic player to fill a hole, often short-term
  • Signing a major talent, someone highly coveted
This team has done better in that first category, but it's also the lower stakes category. For example, the signing of Andy Dalton was totally reasonable. Back then we didn't know how capable Cooper Rush was, and Dalton was an experienced vet whom you had a chance to win with if Dak went down (if you you can protect him, which the team really didn't). For signing free agents for depth, you're usually not throwing big piles of money at the player, and you can do things like incentive-based contracts. If you have a miss, you haven't trashed your salary cap.

The other area where this front office needs help in:
  • Salary cap management
This area is highly related to the problem of not being able to sign highly coveted free agents. You can't sign them if you don't have the money under the cap to do so. Today we watched an average to slightly above average quarterback who cannot carry a team on his shoulders in crunch time, has an interception problem -- and he's our 40 million dollar guy! After our best running back left the game hurt, we put in an okay running back who could do well in short yardage situations, but is light years from being elite, and he's massively paid. We grossly overpaid these two players to the point where the salary cap forced us to trade an excellent receiver for basically peanuts. And we couldn't go after the high-priced free agents.

Other teams have managed the cap better to be able to make perfect hole-fills for their team's needs. And this is HARD! There's a reason why the average fan couldn't just join an NFL's office and do that job. There's never any guarantee that the free agent you either sign or trade for will fill that need as well as you think. That's why those who do this job well are good at taking calculated risks. Jerry Jones probably thought he was taking an intelligent, calculated risk when he burned through two number one draft picks to get Joey Galloway. But a lot of people could see a mile away that he was going to get the team torched via that, and he did.

In short, the front office has gotten its act together for the most part for drafting, and it's done okay signing low-end, stop-gap free agents. It's the high-end free agents that it struggles with, and those struggles are interwoven with its salary cap struggles. Again, it is not easy, and it's not a job just any person could do. Jones needed to draw a line in the sand with both Dak and Zeke, and risk letting them walk, especially with Zeke given that it's not anywhere near as hard to replace a running back as it is a quarterback. But, even with a quarterback, you have to know who you've got and where to draw the line. Jones approached the negotiations as if Dak were a top-5 quarterback. He's not. You can win a championship with a decent, non-elite quarterback (see Trent Dilfer, see Doug Williams), but the team around him must be outstanding.

Has the front office gotten better? Sure, they have. They draft better. Of late, they've spared us any atrocious Galloway trades, but mainly by being gun shy. They've done some decent low-end FA signings.

Will Jones have the "ah-hah" moment and sign a strategic advisor as bobhaze suggests? Maybe, but it's doubtful.
I think a strategic advisor would be a very good idea. I think having an advisor to help them figure out where to go next with the team would allo them to figure out where we need better players.

Rayman70

Reaction score
we lost because of 2 turnovers and an elite team we faced. Cant turn the ball over. Dak was off all day.

gtb1943

Reaction score
Last point is the problem. Jerry is never all-in. Ever.
He never will be either. he cannot let go - which is what needs to happen for us to actually get there. Despite the claims from some gomers here, he is STILL the final authority on anything that really matters.

Until we have a REAL GM this is the way its going to be

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Hilton was open several times. Dak was a nervous Nancy and was moving through his progressions too fast.
So does Dak go through the progressions so quickly because he knows where he's throwing and need to focus on that receiver (area of the field) sooner rather than later. If you've got a tendency to panic, you rush ....and even fixate on that area and dont factor in the coverage.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
I think a strategic advisor would be a very good idea. I think having an advisor to help them figure out where to go next with the team would allo them to figure out where we need better players.
Does this 'strategic advisor' get on the field and work with Dak in the huddle? There are composure issues, especially in stressful conditions. As a bipolar sufferer (in well paid job) I see the same panic in Dak as I saw in myself when faced by adversity.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Unlike last year in that embarrassing first round loss to the niners, the Cowboys came out and played very hard tonight. They played with way more fire than they did last year vs the niners. And it still wasn’t enough. Hate to say it my friends but the niners are a better team than we are. Period. They deserve to be in the NFC championship game next Sun.

Being even more blunt- the niners had more talent at key positions than we do. They added Christian McAffrey. They have two of the best defensive players in the entire league in Nick Bosa and Fred Warner. Serious Question: What did we add this year that made us way better?

Here’s why we lost IMO:
  • The niners are a better team. They are better at multiple positions and they are better coached than we are. Kyle Shanahan is an offensive genius. Brock Purdy is an average NFL talent who is surrounded by top 5 talent at multiple positions. Their defense is top shelf.
  • I think we went as far as this team’s talent could have taken it. Dak is not good enough to carry this team. He can win playoff games if he has more of the top tier talent around him team like SF has.
  • The two interceptions were killers.
  • Micah Parsons needs help. He‘s great, but he’s not enough alone. We need lots of help at DL and in the secondary.
  • The niners and eagles got way better this off-season. We got a little better. We did not improve enough last off-season. They did. It’s that simple.
Here‘s a few things that should happen:
  • You can’t build with just the draft. FA and trades matter. The two NFC championship teams were aggressive this off-season. We were not. If we don’t learn how to get better in FA, this team will fall back not get better.
  • We do not have a great front office. They do NOT know how to build a playoff winner. We have 28 years of receipts. They don’t understand how to be aggressive in FA and trades and it shows. THAT MUST CHANGE.
  • Jerry needs to hire a strategic advisor to help plan their off-season. We must have an aggressive off-season or this team goes backward. The Jones boys don’t know what they’re doing.
  • They should explore trading Dak or get aggressive to surround him with more talent. This team does not have enough offensive talent at multiple positions.
This is just an early assessment. Lots more to think about.
But to me it’s crystal clear- this team does not have enough talent and lacks the front office strategic ability to fix it without help.
they were the more physical team. they manhandled our offense. we played scared and couldn't get anything. every tackle was vicious and with anger and we couldn't respond. this reminds me of way back when in the time machine, when Johnson was head coach and the cowboys were being man handled by Philly and he built a team to beat philly, a physical, mentally tough team. if we are to get over the hump, we need to get physical on both sides of the ball.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
they were the more physical team. they manhandled our offense. we played scared and couldn't get anything. every tackle was vicious and with anger and we couldn't respond. this reminds me of way back when in the time machine, when Johnson was head coach and the cowboys were being man handled by Philly and he built a team to beat philly, a physical, mentally tough team. if we are to get over the hump, we need to get physical on both sides of the ball.
Not really manhandled, certainly not enough to derail our Offense to the extent it did.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Not really manhandled, certainly not enough to derail our Offense to the extent it did.
I thought they were. their front 4 was able to generate pressure, allowing them to drop extras into the secondary. when your OL can't easily handle 4 DL and not allow pressure or open holes, you are being man handled. we had total of 48 yards from the RB position and 22 Dak prescott running for his life.

our defense was a little better, was able to generate pressure and stop the run mostly. Diggs was super soft.

Cmac

Reaction score
This might be long, but oh well.

1. The Cowboys have tried everything at QB except a 1st round QB, why?
2. We've tried washed up vets, we've tried overreaching in the draft, we've tried X baseball players, we've tried undrafted rookies, and we've tried late round QBs.
3. What GM in the NFL would have his job if they didn't try to draft a top QB in the 1st round, besides Jerry?
4. We don't have speed on offense at all, except our 1 runner.
5. Since we like the TEs so much, why not draft a top-tier TE?
6. What do we have against LARGE DTs and linebackers?
7. Jerry needs to understand something about a top-tier QB. He either has a strong arm or very accurate, we have neither.
8. If you draft and fall upon a great QB, you will competing for SBs the next 12 to 15 years, pending injury.
9. If you fail at drafting a first round QB, do it again.
Texans GM would be surviving. All of your takes have merit, but we operating with a bargain basement OC, and an OL coach that simply isn't delivering.
Defense could use some physicality and speed......and ball hawks willing to inflict contact instead of avoiding it.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Does this 'strategic advisor' get on the field and work with Dak in the huddle? There are composure issues, especially in stressful conditions. As a bipolar sufferer (in well paid job) I see the same panic in Dak as I saw in myself when faced by adversity.

Not a bad point. When he's on his game, Dak shows flashes as a top tier QB, as demonstrated against Tampa Bay, Minnesota, and Philly. I wonder. If what you are saying is correct, then perhaps a therapist that can fit that bill can be very helpful for Dak. Perhaps a therapist can help him be able to stay on the good side of his play.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
I thought they were. their front 4 was able to generate pressure, allowing them to drop extras into the secondary. when your OL can't easily handle 4 DL and not allow pressure or open holes, you are being man handled. we had total of 48 yards from the RB position and 22 Dak prescott running for his life.

our defense was a little better, was able to generate pressure and stop the run mostly. Diggs was super soft.
Dak was NEVER running for his life. The yards he made were the correct response to lack of spy and a Defense that doesnt respect his arm enough to beat them in coverage. The Jimmie Ward quote from last year was still applicable yesterday.... they gambled on the fact that Dak couldnt beat them. Once Pollard left the game our running game was over.

You'll never blame Dak, never have and never will.....you're a fully paid up member of Anyone But Dak.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Not a bad point. When he's on his game, Dak shows flashes as a top tier QB, as demonstrated against Tampa Bay, Minnesota, and Philly. I wonder. If what you are saying is correct, then perhaps a therapist that can fit that bill can be very helpful for Dak. Perhaps a therapist can help him be able to stay on the good side of his play.
The problem is that I was a legal advocate and could plan eventualities and responses (my kryptonite was responding to a argument I hadnt pre disposed) and i'd admittedly crumble .....Dak hasnt the luxury on hours of planning, he needs to see it and react in a split second. What I see in him is that the fight/flight hits him and the immediate panic forces him into a poor reactionary move (even not seeing the cover).

Its the only thing that reasonably explains the difference from Buccs and 49ers game.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Unlike last year in that embarrassing first round loss to the niners, the Cowboys came out and played very hard tonight. They played with way more fire than they did last year vs the niners. And it still wasn’t enough. Hate to say it my friends but the niners are a better team than we are. Period. They deserve to be in the NFC championship game next Sun.

Being even more blunt- the niners had more talent at key positions than we do. They added Christian McAffrey. They have two of the best defensive players in the entire league in Nick Bosa and Fred Warner. Serious Question: What did we add this year that made us way better?

Here’s why we lost IMO:
  • The niners are a better team. They are better at multiple positions and they are better coached than we are. Kyle Shanahan is an offensive genius. Brock Purdy is an average NFL talent who is surrounded by top 5 talent at multiple positions. Their defense is top shelf.
  • I think we went as far as this team’s talent could have taken it. Dak is not good enough to carry this team. He can win playoff games if he has more of the top tier talent around him team like SF has.
  • The two interceptions were killers.
  • Micah Parsons needs help. He‘s great, but he’s not enough alone. We need lots of help at DL and in the secondary.
  • The niners and eagles got way better this off-season. We got a little better. We did not improve enough last off-season. They did. It’s that simple.
Here‘s a few things that should happen:
  • You can’t build with just the draft. FA and trades matter. The two NFC championship teams were aggressive this off-season. We were not. If we don’t learn how to get better in FA, this team will fall back not get better.
  • We do not have a great front office. They do NOT know how to build a playoff winner. We have 28 years of receipts. They don’t understand how to be aggressive in FA and trades and it shows. THAT MUST CHANGE.
  • Jerry needs to hire a strategic advisor to help plan their off-season. We must have an aggressive off-season or this team goes backward. The Jones boys don’t know what they’re doing.
  • They should explore trading Dak or get aggressive to surround him with more talent. This team does not have enough offensive talent at multiple positions.
This is just an early assessment. Lots more to think about.
But to me it’s crystal clear- this team does not have enough talent and lacks the front office strategic ability to fix it without help.
Well done Bob.

As poorly as Dak and our offense performed last night we were still one possession away from extending the game . And I’d agree we aren’t as talented a team as some want to think.

But we were arguably the third best team in the NFC which despite losing some talent in offseason to Cap moves we did move up a bit from last year which I’d argue we were closer to 5th best team in NFC. Some of the difference in ranking could be credited to other teams descent but nevertheless I felt we were a better team this year even with offense not being as good . Mainly cause our defense was better.

Our offense had been carried most of the year especially when Dak was out by our defense. And our defense played well enough only giving up 19 points to win.

But for a team that lead the league in turnovers we left two critical interceptions out there. And gave up gaping rushing yards in SF final 2 scoring drives. The last of which included almost 8 minutes which left us less than 3 minutes to come back.

It could have been enough to carry this QB and sputtering offense to at least extend the game .

But it’s time to recognize we don’t have a great enough QB to carry this team especially against the greater defenses and teams . And surround them as such. Much like most teams without an Elite QB , you must build adequately around them.

Good news is most of the Elite QB’s are in the AFC. And even though we are without one we can still contend for the NFC. As poorly as our QB played we were still only one possession away from extending the game against what was is the best defense in the league and possibly best team in NFC.

I’d argue the best two teams are playing for the NFC championship . And because our conference isn’t as strong and or without as many Elite QB’s as AFC we arguably are probably closer that many are feeling this morning.

I certainly don’t feel that SF, Phil, Minn , Sea or NY( the other NFC playoff teams not including Tampa) have Elite QB’s either. But they don’t pay or treat them like they are.

Dak appears on most Sundays to be enough to build around like most teams without an Elite QB. We just have to stop treating him like he’s Elite. Back to back 13 win teams is definitely enough to build around .

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
Losing Pollard in the first half hurt bad.

Diggs needs to stop being a sissy. That bobbled catch by Kittle could have easily been incomplete or better if Diggs hadn't just run by, pretending he was trying to hit him.
One thing I wondered about was this: Why didn't they play Davis? We know Zeke is no longer the juggernaut he once was, though still capable for short-yardage situations. With Pollard no longer an option to return to the game, why not let Davis play? He has some decent running capabilities, and that would keep the entire running game off Zeke's shoulders.

Didn't Davis suit up for the game?

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
I do believe we can win playoff games with him. But not with the talent we have now. We were beaten by a better team tonight.
This^^^ Hell, he's proven he can win a playoff game or two. The problem is the more you advance, the more talent you better make sure he has. The Eagles and 49ers have at least 3 legit offensive playmakers, the Cowboys have one ( CD and maybe Pollard). What's interesting is you can argue our D pretty much shut down their offense. They couldn't do anything until near the end of the game.
CeeDee played his heart out, but arguably the biggest game of his career, Dak was what he's been all year, inconsistent.....shame on him.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Dak was NEVER running for his life. The yards he made were the correct response to lack of spy and a Defense that doesnt respect his arm enough to beat them in coverage. The Jimmie Ward quote from last year was still applicable yesterday.... they gambled on the fact that Dak couldnt beat them. Once Pollard left the game our running game was over.

You'll never blame Dak, never have and never will.....you're a fully paid up member of Anyone But Dak.
oh, I blame Dak. but unlike many, I don't only blame Dak. therein lies the difference.