Here comes Urban Meyer

Darthkuriboh

Reaction score
Fifteen years from now, when Jason Garrett is being inducted into the Hall of Fame, when he is being mentioned in the same sentence as Tom Landry and Jimmy Johnson, when he is being characterized as "brilliant", "innovative", and "charismatic", I wonder how many of his critics will admit, at least to themselves, that they were wrong.

My gut feeling? Very few, and definitely none of the guys who can't wait to reply to this post......okay, I'm ready.....and please, no personal insults, they've become so redundantly boring.....why is Jason's success so impossible?

is that some good crack you're smoking?

Mountaineerfan

Reaction score
Please tell me what exactly he did wrong? If we suddenly decide to throw people away because of issues you will never help them. I don't know the inside of this and never truly will. But, I've seen Vice Presidents of Major corporations, NASCAR team members, lawyers arrested for actual domestic charges to never lose a second of work. I don't think it's fair to want Urban Myers head for this.

aria

Reaction score
Please tell me what exactly he did wrong? If we suddenly decide to throw people away because of issues you will never help them. I don't know the inside of this and never truly will. But, I've seen Vice Presidents of Major corporations, NASCAR team members, lawyers arrested for actual domestic charges to never lose a second of work. I don't think it's fair to want Urban Myers head for this.
Honestly I’m slightly confused myself. To sum it up and as far as I know...he knew his assistant coach beat his wife and didn’t say anything. That’s all I know but I assume there’s some credibility to it or OSU would’ve have put him on administrative leave....or perhaps they’re covering themselves until more details come out. I dunno.

plasticman

Reaction score
Actually, Jason did not ice his kicker. The referee was way late in calling the timeout. If he had called it when Jason requested, the kicker would never have approached the ball.

I don't smoke crack.....yet.

Mountaineerfan

Reaction score
Honestly I’m slightly confused myself. To sum it up and as far as I know...he knew his assistant coach beat his wife and didn’t say anything. That’s all I know but I assume there’s some credibility to it or OSU would’ve have put him on administrative leave....or perhaps they’re covering themselves until more details come out. I dunno.

Exactly what did he violate if he did know? Some new social faux pa that says we cannot know of a situation. People don't just give up on people. That said should he have done something, sure but since it was a personal matter how would we know?

aria

Reaction score
Exactly what did he violate if he did know? Some new social faux pa that says we cannot know of a situation. People don't just give up on people. That said should he have done something, sure but since it was a personal matter how would we know?
Don’t kill the messenger, my wife asked the same thing and maybe I misunderstood.

Did Paterno violate anything even if he did know about Sandusky? I’m not saying what’s right or wrong and I’m assuming more will come out but I also assume the college can and will fire him based on their own morals. Colleges like OSU have so much money they could pay off the rest of his contract and hire a new coach like it’s nothing.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
Fifteen years from now, when Jason Garrett is being inducted into the Hall of Fame, when he is being mentioned in the same sentence as Tom Landry and Jimmy Johnson, when he is being characterized as "brilliant", "innovative", and "charismatic", I wonder how many of his critics will admit, at least to themselves, that they were wrong.

My gut feeling? Very few, and definitely none of the guys who can't wait to reply to this post......okay, I'm ready.....and please, no personal insults, they've become so redundantly boring.....why is Jason's success so impossible?
I've been waiting for years to be proven wrong and I'm still waiting. But I've been told it takes 10 years to build a SB team so we're almost there.

Mountaineerfan

Reaction score
Don’t kill the messenger, my wife asked the same thing and maybe I misunderstood.

Did Paterno violate anything even if he did know about Sandusky? I’m not saying what’s right or wrong and I’m assuming more will come out but I also assume the college can and will fire him based on their own morals. Colleges like OSU have so much money they could pay off the rest of his contract and hire a new coach like it’s nothing.

I think comparing what we know at this time about Myer to Paterno is a stretch at best. The difference being that the incidents were between two adults. Look I know way more about domestic violence then the average person because I deal with it just about every day. I've seen women show up to bond guys out with the raccoon look and men so scared of making a report they are shaking. It normally takes a woman 7 incidents of violence before they decide to change the situation. That said they are still adults not children getting raped on campus.

I'm not yelling just stating facts.

JustChip

Reaction score
Because he ices his kicker to lose a game that cost us a playoff appearance. He constantly blunders the end of halfs and end of games time for the other team to score. Awful adjustments at half time. Awful adjustments during the games in general. Might be ok coach in practice and during the week. But on sundays he leaves a lot to be desired.

That icing his own kicker stuff is just pure crap. He was watching the formation set and the clock and felt they were either going to be rushed and not get a good kick off or not get it off in time and take a delay of game penalty. Calling time out was exactly what the heck he should've done! The only reason it's an issue is because the kicker made the first and missed the second. Missing the 2nd kick had zero to do with him being iced. If it did, then he's a mental midget and has no business being on the team.

I'm sure you've seen where a kicker misses the 1st kick when the opponent's coach tries to ice him, but then makes the 2nd kick. What is that - reverse icing?

Verdict

Reaction score

I'm with ya. I think Garrett is improving to TE point where he will take the next step. It's coming. So are the Super Bowls.

JustChip

Reaction score
I'm with ya. I think Garrett is improving to TE point where he will take the next step. It's coming. So are the Super Bowls.
I don't know that I'll make a bet on him winning a Super Bowl because there have been a lot of good coaches that haven't done it. There's just so much that has to go very right for teams to win a Super Bowl. But that doesn't mean he's not a good coach. You have to separate the first 1/2 of Garrett's tenure with the recent. There is no doubt he was not ready when he was given the position, but just as a player is more capable in year 3 than his rookie year, Garrett is a much better and capable coach today than 8 years ago.

JustChip

Reaction score
While I agree with you in principal, the issue for me is he appeared to lie. And if he did, indeed know about it, what did he do about it? Did he try to get the guy help?

aria

Reaction score
I think comparing what we know at this time about Myer to Paterno is a stretch at best. The difference being that the incidents were between two adults. Look I know way more about domestic violence then the average person because I deal with it just about every day. I've seen women show up to bond guys out with the raccoon look and men so scared of making a report they are shaking. It normally takes a woman 7 incidents of violence before they decide to change the situation. That said they are still adults not children getting raped on campus.

I'm not yelling just stating facts.
I get what you’re saying, I don’t understand why the police weren’t contacted either. You obviously know more about DV than I do but I know some of the reasons may be due to fewr of reprecussions/threats from the abuser, could be monetary reasons, kids, etc.

What I’m getting at is even though the police weren’t notifed, does that make Urban morally or legally responsible to notify authorities or fire his coach? I’m guessing legally, no. Morally, that’s up to each individual but if the college doesn’t think his lack of action falls in line with their standards and expectations then they will fire him.

It seems there’s still a lot we don’t know and possibly the college as well which is why he is just put on admin leave. We’ll find out soon enough but if it’s proven he did know and didn’t do anything I’ll bet my mortgage that he’s gone. A lot of parents won’t dig sending their kids to a school whose head football coach may be viewed as turning the other eye on to a domestic abuser on his staff. It could also have huge reprecussions with boosters, alumni, etc. They could stand to lose more money by keeping him rather than paying out his contract and firing him.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
That icing his own kicker stuff is just pure crap. He was watching the formation set and the clock and felt they were either going to be rushed and not get a good kick off or not get it off in time and take a delay of game penalty. Calling time out was exactly what the heck he should've done! The only reason it's an issue is because the kicker made the first and missed the second. Missing the 2nd kick had zero to do with him being iced. If it did, then he's a mental midget and has no business being on the team.

I'm sure you've seen where a kicker misses the 1st kick when the opponent's coach tries to ice him, but then makes the 2nd kick. What is that - reverse icing?
Why is it crap. He thought they couldn't get a clean attempt but they could and called a timeout that cost us the game. Excuses are like a holes, they all stink. and it's about to be a quarter century worth of excuses.

Also what's worse is against the giants the next week in a do or die game we need a fg to tie. And because of our man JG giving Coughlin the idea it worked a second time. Bailey makes the fg on the first attempt, 2nd attempt gets blocked. I think Coughlin probably would never of tried it if he didnt see what happened the week before.

JustChip

Reaction score
Why is it crap. He thought they couldn't get a clean attempt but they could and called a timeout that cost us the game. Excuses are like a holes, they all stink. and it's about to be a quarter century worth of excuses.

Also what's worse is against the giants the next week in a do or die game we need a fg to tie. And because of our man JG giving Coughlin the idea it worked a second time. Bailey makes the fg on the first attempt, 2nd attempt gets blocked. I think Coughlin probably would never of tried it if he didnt see what happened the week before.
It’s crap because you’re basing everything on the result. So, say he missed the first one, but made the 2nd one, would you still be criticizing. I doubt it. Bottom line is he called TO for a very valid reason; the result was unfavorable. An analogy - sometimes good people do bad things, does that make them a bad person (and vice versa)?

Regarding Coughlin the next week, so Garrett was the first coach to ever “ice” and Coughlin got the idea from Garrett? Really?

There are things to criticize Garrett for, but not this icing malarkey.

Mountaineerfan

Reaction score
While I agree with you in principal, the issue for me is he appeared to lie. And if he did, indeed know about it, what did he do about it? Did he try to get the guy help?

You also can get sued for disclosing personal matters. That could have been the biggest issue with the "lie".

JustChip

Reaction score
You also can get sued for disclosing personal matters. That could have been the biggest issue with the "lie".
That's a possibility, but there are ways to handle that. E. g., "I've not personally witnessed any such action". The University is more in danger of being sued than Urban Meyer. All this is conjecture. I'm a firm believer of innocent until proven guilty, but today's social environment regarding DV and sexual abuse is not conducive to patience.

Birch_Wood

Reaction score
It would seem that Urban would be a good match for a mobile QB like Dak.