Here is what is different about Quinn

Dre11

Reaction score
Round has nothing to do with it. It was a talented group. Many high school coaches could have been successful with talent like that.
it has everything to do with it, somebody had to bring them along. so with what he did in Seattle , couldn't just anybody do it.

SiCk_DiAbLo

Reaction score
Well what does he have to lose, worst Defense last year, anything would be an improvement...

Dre11

Reaction score
I notice you didn't dispute what I said.

no need to dispute, it's a flawed opinion. As a DC he's been good a head coach , your comparison doesn't apply here. the only time he was DC he was exceptional.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
it has everything to do with it, somebody had to bring them along. so with what he did in Seattle , couldn't just anybody do it.

He never came close to duplicating what he inherited in Seattle after leaving. What does that tell you?

Dre11

Reaction score
I don’t remember exactly but I am guessing the offense carried them since Quinn’s defenses were never rated high.
He never came close to duplicating what he inherited in Seattle after leaving. What does that tell you?

His defense in 2017 was ranked 8th

Again, you don't understand how this works. He wasn't DC in Atlanta, he was HC, his sole focus wasn't on Defense, just as McCarthy sole focus isn't on offense here.

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Here is a clear-eyed view about Quinn for our defense we have not had in years.

Enjoy.

And thanx to the poster who added this for all to digest.

The players will respond to him. I think that’s a big deal. And it’s off

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
His defense in 2017 was ranked 8th

Again, you don't understand how this works. He wasn't DC in Atlanta, he was HC, his sole focus wasn't on Defense, just as McCarthy sole focus isn't on offense here.

HC is responsible for everything that happens on the field. HC hears all the plays being called and is in charge of game time strategy. Quinn’s fault. Even if Quinn delegated responsibility down, still it was his decision. No passing the buck.

Dre11

Reaction score

He didn't inherit it , they had their best years under him

Mention Dan Quinn’s name and Richard Sherman’s eyes widen. His smile spreads.

The four-time Pro Bowl cornerback and one-time Super Bowl champ knows what type of impact Quinn can have on a defense. Sherman was part of the Seattle Seahawks’ “Legion of Boom,” a group that was the NFL’s top-ranked defense in 2013 and 2014 when Quinn was the defensive coordinator.

“He’s a great leader of men — that’s why he got the job as a head coach — and as the coordinator, he’s going to do a great job of bringing the best out of these guys,” Sherman said of Quinn. “He’s a great motivator. He’s obviously very technical.

“We had two of our best years with him, and it was consistent. It was every game. Every game you’re at halftime you’re like, ‘Damn, that’s a hell of a thought. I didn’t even think to do that. We probably should shade over to this guy. We should blitz through this gap. Or we should just go, or stop blitzing.’ I think he’s one of the best defensive minds in the game.”

Dre11

Reaction score
HC is responsible for everything that happens on the field. HC hears all the plays being called and is in charge of game time strategy. Quinn’s fault. Even if Quinn delegated responsibility down, still it was his decision. No passing the buck.

That's an absolute dumb way of looking at it. With your logic, any good coordinator that failed as a head coach, all of the sudden becomes a bad coordinator? That's asinine.

So Wade was terrible because his d quit on him here as a head coach?

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
The players never bought into Mike Nolan's scheme because nothing was clearly defined. He was forcing players to do things they weren't good at and changed up so many things week to week because the cry about Rod Marinelli's defense was it was "too predictable".

In my opinion Dan Quinn will find the perfect balance. The Cowboys won't be as bland defensively as Marinelli; but unlike Nolan, Quinn will put his players in position to succeed and won't force square pegs into round holes.

Like many have said, it won't take much to improve on 2020's showing, but all the new faces from free agency and the draft means this unit could be one of the biggest surprises in the NFL this season.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
That's an absolute dumb way of looking at it. With your logic, any good coordinator that failed as a head coach, all of the sudden becomes a bad coordinator? That's asinine.

So Wade was terrible because his d quit on him here as a head coach?

HC oversees the defense and offense and is responsible for what happens. Same as a captain in the navy. Quinn failed at the big picture level. Remains to be seen if he can still coordinate. We will find out in 4 months.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
That talent trumps coaching?

Yes, always. “Coaching is overrated.” -Dan Marino

Anyone can coach talent. I could coach Alabama and defeat 1/2 the teams on their schedule.

Same with RBs and OL. Many RBs can hit a hole. Only a few OL can make the hole.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
Yes, always. “Coaching is overrated.” -Dan Marino

Anyone can coach talent. I could coach Alabama and defeat 1/2 the teams on their schedule.

Same with RBs and OL. Many RBs can hit a hole. Only a few OL can make the hole.
But there are some significant differences when you can see a total coaching failure like what Nolan attempted to do with this team last year and what another coach might have done which could have avoided the absolute\ D disaster we experienced.

Praxit

Reaction score
..dont know bout everyone else, ....but I'm excited. We might be the surprise team of the year.
giphy.gif

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
But there are some significant differences when you can see a total coaching failure like what Nolan attempted to do with this team last year and what another coach might have done which could have avoided the absolute\ D disaster we experienced.

I would not put all the blame on Nolan. The players were out there freelancing. The Cowboy defenders couldn't even follow simple high school plays. No gap responsibility. Didn't even know if it was zone or man. The players did not even want to be out on the field. They mailed it in. No coach would have been successful with the knuckleheads on defense last year.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
I would not put all the blame on Nolan. The players were out there freelancing. The Cowboy defenders couldn't even follow simple high school plays. No gap responsibility. Didn't even know if it was zone or man. The players did not even want to be out on the field. They mailed it in. No coach would have been successful with the knuckleheads on defense last year.
Although I would absolutely place blame on the D coach on why they were doing that, I do get your points.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
From my perspective, the Dallas defense has nowhere to go but up. Last year's version was a bad joke, while this year, at least, has a chance to prove itself significantly better than what we've already endured in 2020. Let's just see what happens, before arriving at premature visions of disaster. It's a new year, a vastly different defense and an opportunity to become a better team.

Last edited:

Dre11

Reaction score
HC oversees the defense and offense and is responsible for what happens. Same as a captain in the navy. Quinn failed at the big picture level. Remains to be seen if he can still coordinate. We will find out in 4 months.

He didn't fail he got afc championship and got to a Superbowl , How many coaches can say that? You really need some teaching...lol

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
He didn't fail he got afc championship and got to a Superbowl , How many coaches can say that? You really need some teaching...lol

Shanahan did fine without Quinn. I'd say it was more offense and Shanahan than Quinn and his defense. Quinn's ours now so I hope is all you think he is.