Here's how Kitna will help Dak

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
But I was told by someone on here it is not the QB coaches job to help the QB with mechanics and such. That the QB himself must work it out on his own.

But then again I knew I was right and that person was wrong. :lmao:

I think it's more like the QB has to train himself to do what he's being coached to do. A coach can teach the proper footwork and make the QB do it over and over again, but under pressure, the QB reverts to old habits.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
My comment will be like apples and oranges but still the same.... I'm a bowling coach. My grandfather used to be a professional bowler… He'd won numerous tournaments and has bowled for 70 plus years...

We went bowling the other day and I found some problems with his mechanics... We worked on it and the next game he threw a 300... Don't tell me just because Dak is a professional quarterback, he can't be coached mechanics... That's a load of crap...
I was thinking more along the lines of Tiger Woods, arguably the best golfer ever in his day. Always had a swing coach, and it wasn't to teach him strategy.

cern

Reaction score
when was the last time we heard Hudson houck's name?

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I think it's more like the QB has to train himself to do what he's being coached to do. A coach can teach the proper footwork and make the QB do it over and over again, but under pressure, the QB reverts to old habits.
This I agree with. Until the motions become muscle memory, a player will often revert in real life situations.

CowboyFanInLexKy

Reaction score

I agree with most of this. Even (for the most part) the last sentence however, if it's drilled enough, those bad habits can be gone... Just like the case of my grandfather like that I posted earlier with his bowling...

Rambrah

Reaction score
The point I was trying to make is what Gimmesix succinctly said so well. Yes, a coach can help a non-professional. Yes, I agree a swing coach is great, but when Tiger started changing his mechanics...his demise came about. All I'm saying is if you're a professional athlete...what the heck are you doing trying to change your fundamentals...just keep them where they are and ensure that you don't revert out of them. That's the athletes job...not the coach. Sure a great mechanics coach will help but how much of an improvement are we saying if he wasn't there --- maybe 2 or 3% change in their completion rates?

There ain't no QB coach that is going to change Dak into Peyton Manning or change Case Keenum into Tom Brady

kskboys

Reaction score
The point I was trying to make is what Gimmesix succinctly said so well. Yes, a coach can help a non-professional. Yes, I agree a swing coach is great, but when Tiger started changing his mechanics...his demise came about. All I'm saying is if you're a professional athlete...what the heck are you doing trying to change your fundamentals...just keep them where they are and ensure that you don't revert out of them. That's the athletes job...not the coach. Sure a great mechanics coach will help but how much of an improvement are we saying if he wasn't there --- maybe 2 or 3% change in their completion rates?

There ain't no QB coach that is going to change Dak into Peyton Manning or change Case Keenum into Tom Brady
No, it's the coach's job.

Rambrah

Reaction score
So, you're saying that the reason that Dak overthrew his receivers this year was Moore's fault? Moore should have been doing more footwork and arm mechanic drills with Dak like any non-team meeting time?

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
So, you're saying that the reason that Dak overthrew his receivers this year was Moore's fault? Moore should have been doing more footwork and arm mechanic drills with Dak like any non-team meeting time?
Maybe Moore isn't a good teacher. Maybe Dak isn't a good student.
My personal opinion is Dak has relied on his athletics for so long, because that's all he needed with the competition he was up against. Now that he has stiffer competition, he needs to lose the bad habits.

Rambrah

Reaction score
This was Dak's scouting report coming out of college.

"Accuracy on intermediate and deep throws, not sharp, not [is written] in capital letters," Prescott began reading on air with a smile. "Hyper-aware of pressure around him and lacks awareness to slide and find temporary shelter to make throw. Footwork is a mess. Needs improvement on anticipation. Must be more willing to challenge the defense. Too often tries to muscle throws with upper body."

Btw, I am a huge Dak fan...I just don't think Kitna or anyone is really going to fix this. The QB wisperer Dan Mullen who fostered Alex Smith's sucess as well as many other Qb's without as much as Dak's talent couldn't fix Dak. Dak can be coached by the best but will he revert to his bad habits when he feels pressure or trying to make a deep throw?

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
This was Dak's scouting report coming out of college.

"Accuracy on intermediate and deep throws, not sharp, not [is written] in capital letters," Prescott began reading on air with a smile. "Hyper-aware of pressure around him and lacks awareness to slide and find temporary shelter to make throw. Footwork is a mess. Needs improvement on anticipation. Must be more willing to challenge the defense. Too often tries to muscle throws with upper body."

Btw, I am a huge Dak fan...I just don't think Kitna or anyone is really going to fix this. The QB wisperer Dan Mullen who fostered Alex Smith's sucess as well as many other Qb's without as much as Dak's talent couldn't fix Dak. Dak can be coached by the best but will he revert to his bad habits when he feels pressure or trying to make a deep throw?
Only time will tell, but I certainly hope Kitna can develop some chemistry with him, and correct some issues.

Rambrah

Reaction score
As a cowboys fan, I hope so as well. You can't teach clutch though and I'm glad Dak has the "it" factor.

InTheZone

Reaction score
So now your on board? Dak will be great now because we hired Kitna? That was easy.
just standing by for repeat performance and a new set of excuses IF it doesn't pan out. Everyone assuming it's on coaches seem to ignore everything about the player starting from college.

Chrispierce

Reaction score
I didn’t and don’t need testimonies or evidence to know Kitna is the perfect guy for Dak. Good old Charlie Hustle,that was Kitna. He won’t totally change Dak’s style,but he will be able to improve some finer points,and show him a few tricks. Things he’ll take into his game,that I don’t think Dak would otherwise from someone else.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
Here's how Kitna will help Dak: he's going to suit up on throwing downs and will leave dak to the real play making off handing the ball off? is that it?

KeepinTime

Reaction score
I think they transplant cadaver eyes on the back of your ankle. Remarkably helpful seeing behind you. I have heard that Kitna perfected the process using deer eyeballs because of the broad field of vision. He's going to be awesome helping Dak. #ankleeyes
Just need to make sure you’re puttting some Ankle Visine in them ankle eyes to keep them from getting dried out and itchy.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
The world isn't as Black and White as some of you guys like to make. There a few people who have been labeled haters that would like to see Dak succeed that think that he had some flaws exposed and don't blindly buy into all the propaganda some like to put out.

Dak has some flaws? Is that some kind of genius work pointing out a QB's flaws? Pointing out things a young QB needs to improve on is far from saying he will never be good and he will not improve and we should move on.

The honest truth is that as time goes on, and Dak proves them wrong, some posters are simply beginning to soften their stance.

kevinhickey

Reaction score
I wasn't complaining about this hire, but after watching this, I'm pretty excited. I think he can make Dak the best he can be.
What drives me crazy about these storries are: why didn’t the previous coaches work on this and why are we promoting one of these coaches to OC job? A good coach, who by the way was a QB, should’ve made sure Prescott had the basics covered. Things are not going to change.