Here's how Kitna will help Dak

Blackrain

Reaction score
The point I was trying to make is what Gimmesix succinctly said so well. Yes, a coach can help a non-professional. Yes, I agree a swing coach is great, but when Tiger started changing his mechanics...his demise came about. All I'm saying is if you're a professional athlete...what the heck are you doing trying to change your fundamentals...just keep them where they are and ensure that you don't revert out of them. That's the athletes job...not the coach. Sure a great mechanics coach will help but how much of an improvement are we saying if he wasn't there --- maybe 2 or 3% change in their completion rates?

There ain't no QB coach that is going to change Dak into Peyton Manning or change Case Keenum into Tom Brady

We don't need Dak to be Peyton Manning but there is usually about 3 errant throws a game that would put points on the board . If kitna can stress some fundamentals and with repetition turn them into muscle memory while getting Dak to take on a bit more aggressive mind set he could take a big step forward .

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
What drives me crazy about these storries are: why didn’t the previous coaches work on this and why are we promoting one of these coaches to OC job? A good coach, who by the way was a QB, should’ve made sure Prescott had the basics covered. Things are not going to change.
You could be right, but sometimes people simply respond better to different approaches, and with any luck, Kitna's approach will break through.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Great. Now I get to read all summer how this innovative new emphasis on footwork is going to help Prescott reach the potential he doesn't have.

Kitna stresses footwork for a QB. Which I believe is the first time in league history.

Blackrain

Reaction score
This was Dak's scouting report coming out of college.

"Accuracy on intermediate and deep throws, not sharp, not [is written] in capital letters," Prescott began reading on air with a smile. "Hyper-aware of pressure around him and lacks awareness to slide and find temporary shelter to make throw. Footwork is a mess. Needs improvement on anticipation. Must be more willing to challenge the defense. Too often tries to muscle throws with upper body."

Btw, I am a huge Dak fan...I just don't think Kitna or anyone is really going to fix this. The QB wisperer Dan Mullen who fostered Alex Smith's sucess as well as many other Qb's without as much as Dak's talent couldn't fix Dak. Dak can be coached by the best but will he revert to his bad habits when he feels pressure or trying to make a deep throw?

Anyone can break bad habits with enough instruction and practice if they really want to be good at something . The amount of practice it takes is usually what most people cant handle because it will take a serious commitment .

Look at Tony he got a bag full of footballs and threw them into his couch all night to develop the muscle memory . I have done the same thing with competitive Rifle and pistol shooting . There are not enough daylight hours or ammo to practice enough so dry firing hundreds of times at night built the muscle memory to break perfect shots in practice as well as under pressure in a match .

No Dak will never be as accurate as Peyton Manning just like I wouldn't be Jack O Connor but anyone can get better

Dak can improve, most fans just cant imagine the amount of time and commitment it takes to do so because they don't have the will or determination to be that good at anything

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I saw Kitna’s talk about footwork from 2013 at a coaches clinic. One of the things he preaches that most fans do not understand is: “Most people believe the QB position is about your arm but it’s more about your feet.”

People saying that this will be Dak’s 4th year, why haven’t they already fixed this? Well the short answer to that is footwork is something ALL QBs need to work on ALL THE TIME. In 2012 or 13, I saw a video on Peyton Manning and he was going into that season with a renewed commitment to improving his footwork.

A QB’s footwork is very similar to a pitcher in baseball needing to work on “mechanics”. Baseball coaches I have heard always said pitcher mechanics have to be worked on all the time. Even for veteran pitchers. So asking Dak to improve footwork will ALWAYS be an ongoing thing because it is for all QBs.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What drives me crazy about these storries are: why didn’t the previous coaches work on this and why are we promoting one of these coaches to OC job? A good coach, who by the way was a QB, should’ve made sure Prescott had the basics covered. Things are not going to change.

Of course previous coaches stressed footwork. This is just the propaganda portion of the year where we have to pretend everything's going to be great next season based on nonsense like a QB coach stressing footwork is important.

It's like how our motley crew of receivers were going to excel last year because Sanjay Lal actually emphasized the importance of route running and ran drills for it. Because we haven't had a WR coach prior who thought route running was important let alone actually practice it.

It's a healthy plate of complete nonsense served up to a starving fan base.

lukin2006

Reaction score
Kitna can only help Dak if the offence is designed to take advantages of his strengths. And I no faith that JG or KM can do that.

Blackrain

Reaction score
Great. Now I get to read all summer how this innovative new emphasis on footwork is going to help Prescott reach the potential he doesn't have.

Kitna stresses footwork for a QB. Which I believe is the first time in league history.

Swell. We get to read all summer how its impossible for Dak to improve then watch him prove you all wrong again and take us to the playoffs

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I wasn't complaining about this hire, but after watching this, I'm pretty excited. I think he can make Dak the best he can be.

I'd definitely say that footwork has been one of Dak's biggest issues. And Kitna said himself that it took him years as a pro quarterback to realize the importance. And he now sounds like a guy who swears by it.

I don't see how pairing up a coach who emphasizes footwork with a quarterback who needs the help is a bad thing.

BulletBob

The Godfather
Reaction score
I have no idea if Kitna will improve Dak.

But the one thing I saw in those videos was the emphasis on a 3-step drop. If the only thing that comes out of his hire are more 3-step drops (both in practice and in games), then I'm all for it.

I think the Atlanta game destroyed Dak's confidence. Forcing him to trust that his receiver will be where he is supposed to be with a quick slant, dig, or out route by repeatedly letting the ball fly as soon as that third step hits, I think, would pay great dividends.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

But the one thing I saw in those videos was the emphasis on a 3-step drop. If the only thing that comes out of his hire are more 3-step drops (both in practice and in games), then I'm all for it.

I think the Atlanta game destroyed Dak's confidence. Forcing him to trust that his receiver will be where he is supposed to be with a quick slant, dig, or out route by repeatedly letting the ball fly as soon as that third step hits, I think, would pay great dividends.
It would also take some pressure off the OL.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm just dumbstruck to find out no one taught him about footwork until he was in the league for a decade. How does stuff like that happen?

Anyway that's all stuff Dak needs to hear.

Anyone else remember Parcells talking about a similar situation with Simms? There was a play that Simms would never throw to the right person, thinking the safety would get there in time. Bill finally told him to just throw it and if the safety made a play, it was on him (Bill).

I heard something similar, where Parcells was pushing him to take chances. Essentially saying "if you don't throw two picks today, you're not trying." I can't remember the exact quote.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Foot work, mechanics, qb 101 in year 4..:clap:

The process is evolving.....

Hey, Kitna himself said he didn't learn it until "year 11". If Dak gets it in year 4? He's ahead of where Kitna was, by 7 years.

I'm glad to hear Kitna talk about it because I and several others have said many times it's been an issue for Dak. It certainly sounds like it's going to be a point of emphasis.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Another criticism I have of Dak and the passing offense is their almost total lack of timing. The ball almost never comes out at the end of his drop when it's supposed to, if there I see even a drop involved in the play at all. Timing was a real issue for this offense in my opinion. They had none.

zenmastersauce

Reaction score
Not sure why you understood the statement as a concrete statement. You don't have to be a QB coach to help someone understand that their footwork or arm slot or throwing mechanics are off.

But, don't act like the QB is some mechanics and fundamentals QB wisperer that can cure the inconsistent and flawed mechanics of an NFL QB. If you're a starting NFL QB and problems being consistent with your mechanics and footwork, a coach is not going to fix you...you will have your fundamentals but some people are just inconsistent. Just like there is a difference between a PGA golfer and a scratch golfer.

The coach can bring awareness but the QB's inconsistent and imperfect mechanics are not something will be cured by a "QB coach." These QB have practiced their skills and honed their skills for 10+ years...the fundamentals should be solid. The NFL is difficult because of the speed and having to execute at a much faster rate and speed requiring faster pattern recognition or cognitive mental processing skills. I don't think you guys are understanding that a coach that can and has elite skills in reading a defense and coaching our QB to better understand the flow through his progressions and helping him understand his correct read is way more valuable. These guys were taught the proper mechanics, footwork, and fundamentals by another coach earlier in their career - either through elite QB camp or during college and most usually continue working with those "mechanics" gurus.

The QB's coach is to help execute the game plan of the OC and to ensure the QB is prepared and facilitate breaking down film and/or errors in progressions/execution. Plain and simple. If you need a mechanics guy, just bring in a consultant as these guys are a dime a dozen. It doesn't take a genius to teach the fundamentals...that is repetition on the player's part with having a "coach" babysit and ensure you're not drifting from your taught mechanics.
Normally I guess that would make sense but when you have people like Brady still using guys to help refine his game, it is clear that for a young qb, that is crucial and not something you just automatically have. And in the end if a team wants a guy to succeed why not doing everything they can do ensure that?

zenmastersauce

Reaction score
Another criticism I have of Dak and the passing offense is their almost total lack of timing. The ball almost never comes out at the end of his drop when it's supposed to, if there I see even a drop involved in the play at all. Timing was a real issue for this offense in my opinion. They had none.
I think some of that had to do with plays simply taking too long. I have said that for years regarding how long their plays take and how they lack quick strike capability.

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
Hey, Kitna himself said he didn't learn it until "year 11". If Dak gets it in year 4? He's ahead of where Kitna was, by 7 years.

I'm glad to hear Kitna talk about it because I and several others have said many times it's been an issue for Dak. It certainly sounds like it's going to be a point of emphasis.

Yeah no doubt, better late than never...