Here's who's earning praise instead of Rico

Billyd

Reaction score
You’re right, Hazey, although half the fans will cling to any negative they can blame the coaches for! Now we all know the coaches are responsible for a lot of it, but...

Lol.. More like Stephen last season...

Proof

Reaction score
Those lofty expectations are from fans not from anyone within the organization. I do not remember any coach pimping him as the next great thing. He flashed some receiving skills in preseason and several fans went crazy over it.

yeah. this is a fan board. of course it's from fans

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If he is with the team, he has a spot. Rico was not brought in to be a roster churner. They believed they could make something exciting of him.

He does not have a spot on the active roster - he never has. He took up a practice squad spot in year one, and was on injured reserve in year 2. He was not keeping a potentially contributing player from helping the team either year.

Of course he wasn't acquired simply to churn the roster, and I'm not one of those blind Rico supporters who is convinced he is anything special, but you have to accept that his circumstances are different than others. The team drafted him as a project - they knew all along it would take time for him to develop, and they knew the development may not be fast enough or simply be enough for him to become a player. That's the nature of projects players. None of this should be a mystery to fans.

This is a make or break year for Gathers - I seriously doubt he would be put back on the practice squad, so to my thinking either he makes the active roster or he is shown the door. And I think they only keep him if they elect to keep 4 TEs.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
yeah. this is a fan board. of course it's from fans

Many fans on this board take what fans say as if it is representative of the teams thoughts and plans though. I've seen fans post something that in no way reflects anything the team has indicated, and then watched as pages of ragging on the team followed as if the team actually had indicated what the poster wrote. It's essentially the fake news phenomenon - if something is written that is counter to what a person wants to believe, most people can spot the fake news without hesitation, but if it is in line with what a person wants to believe, many will be blind to it even though it's really very obvious that it's fake news. Same goes with how people take what individual posters say - if it is inline with their beliefs, they will take what a poster said and treat it as if the team said it. That applies both to people that support and don't support the current team management and coaching.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I THINK you may be missing the in between message to Rico...@Dallas Cowboys we demand our TEs block...K..Stop blaming everybody but Rico!

No, I'm not missing that at all. I was just saying that the comment about the team wasting a roster spot on him wasn't accurate.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think the Cowboys would assign to practice squad for the reason being of a conditional draft pick..So dont be surprised if they do unless their is a policy in place to prevent it!

I don't think a team gets a conditional pick for a player they were trying to put on the practice squad.

Billyd

Reaction score
Dangit..I think a vet in the league for a certain amount of time may not be put there either not sure. Either way the Cowboys need to stop delaying on their reaches..In the event they want to mitigate their draft picks a trade is possible...You dont ever hold onto a pick with continual promise of greatness then delay his opportunity to help the team coz loophole in Ir clause..He was healthy, activate him..

I found out something about Jarwin and Phillys trying to swipe him...Dallas i think signed Jarwin in fa out from under philly..Lolo.They holding on too tight wingman!!

Billyd

Reaction score
Many fans on this board take what fans say as if it is representative of the teams thoughts and plans though. I've seen fans post something that in no way reflects anything the team has indicated, and then watched as pages of ragging on the team followed as if the team actually had indicated what the poster wrote. It's essentially the fake news phenomenon - if something is written that is counter to what a person wants to believe, most people can spot the fake news without hesitation, but if it is in line with what a person wants to believe, many will be blind to it even though it's really very obvious that it's fake news. Same goes with how people take what individual posters say - if it is inline with their beliefs, they will take what a poster said and treat it as if the team said it. That applies both to people that support and don't support the current team management and coaching.

Some truth to this..Especially in football..Used to be beat writers were established and here..Now a days they can be anywhere with the syndicated inet blobs. YOU have to look at where the rag is. Or where the syndication emanates from...Even some of the pieces from CBS, Other sports networks are pure editorials.. Get me facts, report them or esltablish your take with integrity and facts...And you are right..Know the difference!

Billyd

Reaction score
No, I'm not missing that at all. I was just saying that the comment about the team wasting a roster spot on him wasn't accurate.

Yes that was true. REALLY for the money invested on a project has been minimal...Suave Likes to talk to the press though, doesnt do him, stephen, or Garret any good to get out of their coach speak...I try not to take anything they say outside of normal pieces, but the Coaches and FO do use the press to send messages, when the players ret volly or frame the conversation they are whiners..lol

Hayseed

Reaction score
I might be in the minority around here but I think were going to be just fine at T.E. It wont be a big strength for us, but it wont be a real weakness either. I do think It shakes out a little something like this........

Swaim will be used primarily as a blocker, wont catch many passes at all. Certainly no more than 10 AT THE MOST all year.

Schultz will be a fairly strong blocker with good route running ability but wont catch a whole ton of passes either. Somewhere between 12- MAYBE 20 at most.

Jarwin....... I think the kid will be an adequate blocker but actually be pretty solid at getting open and catching some passes for first downs. I would set the over/under at around 28 or so.

Add it all up and its certainly enuff to get by on. Like I say, not a strength but not a real weakness either.

Rico? Its either practice squad or more likely a training camp cut.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yes that was true. REALLY for the money invested on a project has been minimal...Suave Likes to talk to the press though, doesnt do him, stephen, or Garret any good to get out of their coach speak...I try not to take anything they say outside of normal pieces, but the Coaches and FO do use the press to send messages, when the players ret volly or frame the conversation they are whiners..lol

No doubt there is a double standard, but I think there is a fair reason for it. The team is running the overall business, whereas the player's primary concern has to be to make the team and help the team. PR and media manipulation is required to run the business, but not for a project player who hasn't even made the active roster yet.

Billyd

Reaction score
I might be in the minority around here but I think were going to be just fine at T.E. It wont be a big strength for us, but it wont be a real weakness either. I do think It shakes out a little something like this........

Swaim will be used primarily as a blocker, wont catch many passes at all. Certainly no more than 10 AT THE MOST all year.

Schultz will be a fairly strong blocker with good route running ability but wont catch a whole ton of passes either. Somewhere between 12- MAYBE 20 at most.

Jarwin....... I think the kid will be an adequate blocker but actually be pretty solid at getting open and catching some passes for first downs. I would set the over/under at around 28 or so.

Add it all up and its certainly enuff to get by on. Like I say, not a strength but not a real weakness either.

Rico? Its either practice squad or more likely a training camp cut.

You know you dont know much about Swaim do you? FURTHER its not about who is a primary pass catcher..This point gets lost more frequently then it would, if suave had either made the Cowboys trust him more, or The coaching staff had more time in camp to resolve his blocking issues...You want interchangeable tight ends..At least two who block well and catch well..Swaim has already shown skill as a pass catcher in the season...The lack of attempts was all about witten....

I believe as it stands your two tightends are Swaim and Jarwin..Until something changes, and i dont think anything will..Suave may work his way into some packages, but he isnt going to start..Unless the Rook goes ape, he probly starts the season on the practice squad or they go long ..Cowboys require a year of learning their way of the TE!

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
in shorts. Jarwin got praise. Rico didn't.....I am sure you will say, wait until pads come on and they have to play physical...that's where Rico will fail even more.

Jarwin was out there for every preseason game with pads on last year. Can you remember any plays he made? How about Gathers?

Billyd

Reaction score
No doubt there is a double standard, but I think there is a fair reason for it. The team is running the overall business, whereas the player's primary concern has to be to make the team and help the team. PR and media manipulation is required to run the business, but not for a project player who hasn't even made the active roster yet.

AND when the front office say stephen avoids answering the question and allows the public to think Rico is still suffering concussion effects 7games in? Unlike the rank and file i realize Suave has been a challenge for the coaching staff, i also realize there is some type of animosity between Stephen, Garrett towards Rico...So they may have a reason for being that way, or Rico may have a reason to wonder *** they are yaking to the press in a vague ambiguous way..lol

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
AND when the front office say stephen avoids answering the question and allows the public to think Rico is still suffering concussion effects 7games in? Unlike the rank and file i realize Suave has been a challenge for the coaching staff, i also realize there is some type of animosity between Stephen, Garrett towards Rico...So they may have a reason for being that way, or Rico may have a reason to wonder *** they are yaking to the press in a vague ambiguous way..lol

I think that was Stephen just avoiding having to admit they were stashing Rico on IR, and trying to avoid making a midseason media issue out of a player who wasn't going to be in the mix that year anyway. Probably was the smart way to handle it. He was just kicking the can down the road.

I've read these kinds of comments about Stephen and Garrett having animosity toward Rico before, but I'm not sure what the foundation for it is? Did either specifically say something that indicated that, or is it just that neither has talked Rico up?

Starforever

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
He does not have a spot on the active roster - he never has. He took up a practice squad spot in year one, and was on injured reserve in year 2. He was not keeping a potentially contributing player from helping the team either year.

Of course he wasn't acquired simply to churn the roster, and I'm not one of those blind Rico supporters who is convinced he is anything special, but you have to accept that his circumstances are different than others. The team drafted him as a project - they knew all along it would take time for him to develop, and they knew the development may not be fast enough or simply be enough for him to become a player. That's the nature of projects players. None of this should be a mystery to fans.

This is a make or break year for Gathers - I seriously doubt he would be put back on the practice squad, so to my thinking either he makes the active roster or he is shown the door. And I think they only keep him if they elect to keep 4 TEs.

Whether it is on the active roster, or not, the spot is used by Rico and some seem to have an issue with him and not how he has been managed. I just stated him being on the team this long without ANY progress is not acceptable.

Either say what his status is outright, or stop yielding questions about him. I agree that this may be his last go around with the team, just give him a chance. Him being a project was never a mystery. The mystery began after his year long, in-grown nail incident. (I know it was a head injury)

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Jarwin was out there for every preseason game with pads on last year. Can you remember any plays he made? How about Gathers?
first, you are talking about pre-season..... they don't hand out championships and MVPs for preseason.

I remember gathers made plays, against 3rd and 4th stringer. I remember him struggling against 3rd and 4th stringer defensive players and couldn't block them.... just because Jarwin didn't play preseason (injury)...doesn't mean he is not going to be better than Rico.....rico is a fan made myth at this point because of his size, speed and people projecting him to be Antonio Gates....its wishful thinking, he is at the bottom of the depth chart based on recent OTAs...but I am sure there are those who were writing him into HOF based on his size....

https://247sports.com/nfl/dallas-co...s-for-Blake-Jarwin-with-good-reason-118062416

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score

but but but .....he is 6'8" and 280...he is pretty fast....but but but Antonio gates....but but but...

and that's the thought process of Rico fan club.....in their mind, he is half way to HOF...and as you stated his first year, he was on PS, second year, wasn't ready for active roster and was stahed ;-) on IR. and this year he is 4th on the depth chart behind rookies and 2nd year players.... Rico is going to end up a failed experiment....low investment loss.