Here's who's earning praise instead of Rico

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
I remember gathers made plays, against 3rd and 4th stringer. I remember him struggling against 3rd and 4th stringer defensive players and couldn't block them.... just because Jarwin didn't play preseason...doesn't mean he is not going to be better than Rico.....rico is a fan myth at this point, he is at the bottom of the depth chart based on recent OTAs...but I am sure there are those who were writing him into HOF based on his size....

https://247sports.com/nfl/dallas-co...s-for-Blake-Jarwin-with-good-reason-118062416

LOL OTA depth charts

His blocking wasn't all bad. it was inconsistent which was a dramatic improvement from his rookie season. He should continue to develop.

And Jarwin was out there about as much as Rico last PS. They had no FB past KSMith and played a ton of 12. The issue was he did absolutely nothing. So if Rico only had accomplishments against backups then Jarwin failed against backups.

Rico made a lot of big plays in the opportunity afforded him. That is not a myth. What is amusing is that you are pimping Jarwin based on blurbs from shorts and helmets and press hype and call plays in PS games a myth.

We have actually seen Rico make plays. You should have seen Jarwin do nothing but lacked the vision to see him.

Billyd

Reaction score
Yea, i like to think that Garrett knows what he has in Rico..Knows what he expects, and has put forward the effort to make Suave successfull..I also know that either they have been vague about him, and Suave in interviews seems to act like a child thats been scolded and is just now realizing he needs to block if he is going to be an nfl player..

I get the feeling and comments from Garret of, Rico could take every snap in training camp, and it still wouldnt be enough football for him...Is saying to me a certain amount of patience is running out..McCay saying that its up to Rico especially when McClay usually keeps a low profile that a Bar has been passed.

That Is my reasoning on Rico..Its our way or highway for him..Or Its FO and Garrett publically daring him to prove them wrong!

Billyd

Reaction score
I havent seen Jarwin do much either but its the Jonez and McClay pimping him..Jarwin blocks better than Rico right now..Has more experience playing the position in college as well..Further i believe A couple of tantrums on the field for Rico..

RICO MUST GET his blocking sorted immediately, or the numbers and a lack of want to about to snake him!

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
Yea, i like to think that Garrett knows what he has in Rico..Knows what he expects, and has put forward the effort to make Suave successfull..I also know that either they have been vague about him, and Suave in interviews seems to act like a child thats been scolded and is just now realizing he needs to block if he is going to be an nfl player..

I get the feeling and comments from Garret of, Rico could take every snap in training camp, and it still wouldnt be enough football for him...Is saying to me a certain amount of patience is running out..McCay saying that its up to Rico especially when McClay usually keeps a low profile that a Bar has been passed.

That Is my reasoning on Rico..Its our way or highway for him..Or Its FO and Garrett publically daring him to prove them wrong!

It seems idiotic to me that they'd draft a player that didn't play college football and then be surprised he's got no experience playing college football.

If you want to throw the draft pick in the trash, then they should have just given it to some other team rather than drafting an obvious project and then sticking their bottom lip out that they actually have to dedicate coaching resources to catch him up.

Especially if you're going to leave the guy on IR for an entire year, so he can't even practice with the team.

Billyd

Reaction score
Stephen did that..I have no idea why other than they liked Jarwin, and prepared to move him to the active squad to keep Philly from allegedly poaching him...

So Lets think..You basically canceling out RICO for Jarwin, when Rico needed to be on the field so you could see what you had?...Not sure how philly could have poached Jarwin off the practice squad either.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
LOL OTA depth charts

His blocking wasn't all bad. it was inconsistent which was a dramatic improvement from his rookie season. He should continue to develop.

And Jarwin was out there about as much as Rico last PS. They had no FB past KSMith and played a ton of 12. The issue was he did absolutely nothing. So if Rico only had accomplishments against backups then Jarwin failed against backups.

Rico made a lot of big plays in the opportunity afforded him. That is not a myth. What is amusing is that you are pimping Jarwin based on blurbs from shorts and helmets and press hype and call plays in PS games a myth.

We have actually seen Rico make plays. You should have seen Jarwin do nothing but lacked the vision to see him.
OK, great.... we will see in a few months who is on the roster who is not, regardless of this argument. you can go ahead and put him in the HOF, right now, he is not getting much endorsement.

and its awesome that he made great big, gigantic awesome plays in preseason against 3rd and 4th stringers....future is bright for him....

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Whether it is on the active roster, or not, the spot is used by Rico and some seem to have an issue with him and not how he has been managed. I just stated him being on the team this long without ANY progress is not acceptable.

Either say what his status is outright, or stop yielding questions about him. I agree that this may be his last go around with the team, just give him a chance. Him being a project was never a mystery. The mystery began after his year long, in-grown nail incident. (I know it was a head injury)

Remember 1 of his 2 years was completely lost, and we haven't yet had an opportunity to see him his third year, which isn't even a certainty he will get. Accordingly, it really hasn't been that long for a project.

As for last year being a mystery, it really wasn't. Fans just wanted to portray it that way. He had a concussion, was put on IR, and by the time he was eligible to come back the team had already added a 4th TE that wasn't really needed, but they had to move to the active roster to protect him from being signed away from the practice squad(Jarwin), so they chose not to add a 5th TE that wouldn't be necessary either.

As for the team not saying what his status is, there is nothing to say except he is going to training camp and will play in preseason like the other TEs on the roster, and his status will be determined from that. That's not really something the team needs to announce with every player competing for a job, that's just how the process works.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
but but but .....he is 6'8" and 280...he is pretty fast....but but but Antonio gates....but but but...

and that's the thought process of Rico fan club.....in their mind, he is half way to HOF...and as you stated his first year, he was on PS, second year, wasn't ready for active roster and was stahed ;-) on IR. and this year he is 4th on the depth chart behind rookies and 2nd year players.... Rico is going to end up a failed experiment....low investment loss.

lol - yeah, well, you may be right that he will be a failed experiment. If he is, like you said, low investment. I understand the interest fans have in him because he is/was an intriguing project, but the way some have already projected him as a certain impact player is a little baffling. I hope they are right, but there really isn't enough evidence to think that way now.

I've mentioned this before, but Gates is not a reasonable analogy. Aside from the fact it's illogical to assume every basketball player with a similar size and skill set can do what Gates did, the fact is Gates played football through high school, was a top college prospect that was recruited to play football by Nick Saban when he was at Michigan State, and he only quit football after he got to Michigan State and found out Saban wouldn't allow him to be a 2 sport player. Unlike Gathers, his football playing days didn't end 9-10 years before signing an NFL contract as an oversized 13 year old who didn't know stick from Shinola. his ended as a top college recruit who would have been a major college, major conference D1 player had he been willing to give up basketball.

GenoT

Reaction score
Rico was brought in as a 6th-round project; cheap, non-guaranteed, but has yet to earn a spot on the game-day roster after two seasons. No real gamble by the Cowboys, as the ball’s always been in Rico’s court.

IMHO, if this guy REALLY had the drive to be a pro athlete, he’d already be playing b-ball in some league, somewhere, with the goal of eventually making it to the NBA.

As an NFL prospect, Rico’s got a long way to go and a short time to get there.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
OK, great.... we will see in a few months who is on the roster who is not, regardless of this argument. you can go ahead and put him in the HOF, right now, he is not getting much endorsement.

and its awesome that he made great big, gigantic awesome plays in preseason against 3rd and 4th stringers....future is bright for him....

Nice job dumbing it down into a binary choice. Apparently you either think a player is going into the HoF or that he is terrible. i mean nevermind that I talked about his inconsistency and ongoing development.

The only thing I said was that he was better than Jarwin last PS. He was but you wouldn't know that because you had no idea Jarwin even played. It's obvious you don't pay attention to what is going on.

And he made plays in the opportunity afforded him. Jarwin meanwhile did not. Cause here is the thing: while making plays against backups doesn't mean you've made it it does mean you could. At the same time not making plays against the same competition means you have much farther to go.

And i have an inkling that you have zero idea how to motivate people or how coaches operate. Rico is a confident guy. Some might say too confident but that is besides the point. Now how do you motivate a guy that is brimming with confidence? Do you heap them with praise or do you doubt them and praise their competition?

Cause one thing stands out to me is taht while the coaches sow doubt about Rico the players do not. Go watch the most recent Dak interview over on the mothership. He praises Rico. They invite him out on the fishing charter and keep him very much in the loop. You may count him out but they certainly have not.

But go ahead and doubt him. If it serves as motivation then more the better. Personally I don't like being led around by the nose and to think for myself but if you want to be an idiot its better to be a useful one.

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score
I do like what I'm hearing about Jarwin. Looks like he it was a smashing idea to keep him away from Philly. As for Rico Gathers, I'm afraid that I don't see him making the 53 as a TE, but I do reckon that he'd be a decent DT if he'd be willing to give it a go.

I might be wrong, but I see no way Gathers could play DT. He's too tall for the position. DE? Possible, but also highly doubtful. When everything settles out, we're probably going to find out he just wasn't an NFL talent at any position. Hope I'm wrong.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I might be wrong, but I see no way Gathers could play DT. He's too tall for the position. DE? Possible, but also highly doubtful. When everything settles out, we're probably going to find out he just wasn't an NFL talent at any position. Hope I'm wrong.

Hmm, I was and am sort of joking about this but, if Earl's situation doesn't improve in Seattle, what if we dangled Rico for them?

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Nice job dumbing it down into a binary choice. Apparently you either think a player is going into the HoF or that he is terrible. i mean nevermind that I talked about his inconsistency and ongoing development.

The only thing I said was that he was better than Jarwin last PS. He was but you wouldn't know that because you had no idea Jarwin even played. It's obvious you don't pay attention to what is going on.

And he made plays in the opportunity afforded him. Jarwin meanwhile did not. Cause here is the thing: while making plays against backups doesn't mean you've made it it does mean you could. At the same time not making plays against the same competition means you have much farther to go.

And i have an inkling that you have zero idea how to motivate people or how coaches operate. Rico is a confident guy. Some might say too confident but that is besides the point. Now how do you motivate a guy that is brimming with confidence? Do you heap them with praise or do you doubt them and praise their competition?

Cause one thing stands out to me is taht while the coaches sow doubt about Rico the players do not. Go watch the most recent Dak interview over on the mothership. He praises Rico. They invite him out on the fishing charter and keep him very much in the loop. You may count him out but they certainly have not.

But go ahead and doubt him. If it serves as motivation then more the better. Personally I don't like being led around by the nose and to think for myself but if you want to be an idiot its better to be a useful one.
geez, you must be one of the Rico Fan club members...I don't get all the love for this guy who hasnt' done squat in regular season and has had two three catches in preseason... if that's how you measure a player, then Swaim is better than rico, he has played in regular season and has had catches against 1st stringers....Rico has none.

like I said, we have to wait and see after TC to see if he makes the roster...at this point, my view is he is on the bubble.

you think He is better than Jarwin, then great. what do you want me to say? I agree with you? ok,,,,, Rico made plays, Jarwin didn't...gooooo Rico....rah rah rah

I hope Rico's confidence translates to playing well.....for his sake. if he sucks, to me no love lost...he was a 6th round pick, low risk, high return...... we lost a 6th round pick. if it doesn't work out. if it works out great....I will do the happy dance.

so how do I join the rico for HOF fan club? is there a website? email list or something?

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
geez, you must be one of the Rico Fan club members...I don't get all the love for this guy who hasnt' done squat in regular season and has had two three catches in preseason... if that's how you measure a player, then Swaim is better than rico, he has played in regular season and has had catches against 1st stringers....Rico has none.

like I said, we have to wait and see after TC to see if he makes the roster...at this point, my view is he is on the bubble.

you think He is better than Jarwin, then great. what do you want me to say? I agree with you? ok,,,,, Rico made plays, Jarwin didn't...gooooo Rico....rah rah rah

I hope Rico's confidence translates to playing well.....for his sake. if he sucks, to me no love lost...he was a 6th round pick, low risk, high return...... we lost a 6th round pick. if it doesn't work out. if it works out great....I will do the happy dance.

so how do I join the rico for HOF fan club? is there a website? email list or something?

You don't disagree that Rico outplayed Jarwin and I have only said that he has progressed well from where he started. I guess that makes you a fan too by your reckoning.

The only thing i don't do is pile on this notion that Rico cannot even compete and his cutting is predetermined and remind people what we have actually seen. He has played well in what has been put in front of him and he deserves a chance to build on that.

You cannot even argue points you just go with this passive aggressive nonsense. Grow a pair and argue points as opposed to appealing to ridicule.

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score
Swaim is as explosive as a rock.

He needs to be down the depth chart where he belongs.

This is a big play league. Rico is capable of big plays. Swaim is a guy collecting a check because he can block well.
Yeah, blocking is kind of a big deal for an NFL TE.

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score
Hmm, I was and am sort of joking about this but, if Earl's situation doesn't improve in Seattle, what if we dangled Rico for them?
Yeah, Rico and a 2nd round draft pick maybe. At this point, trying to throw Rico into the mix for a trade would be like throwing in a doughnut as part of the compensation package for buying a Corvette.