Herm is out in NY - Compensation being negotiated by KC

AbeBeta

Reaction score
JohnnyO said:
No, it's not b/c that is what is coming out right now - FROM JETS PEOPLE and NON JETS PEOPLE.

Draft picks are being worked out now - Herm isn't worth Clay Shiver - let alone a pick.

Dude -- one more time. What I said was the rumor that you reported about Herm starting the KC rumor was not plausible -- clearly it isn't something he started because the Jets granted KC permission to talk to him.

I think if you are going to not make any sense, you might have a better time over at the Ranch board -- that is where most of the morons post. Just a suggestion, you might feel more comfortable with that crowd.

mr.jameswoods

Reaction score
Herm Edwards is the nasty version of Dennis Green. He is just a great quote. Herm Edwards could finish 1-15 next season and have that tough guy scowl and great post-game quote and the media will just celebrate at what a great coach he is. I'm not saying Herm Edwards won't get you to the playoffs but I don't see him winning a Superbowl. He just lacks that edge. He reminds me too much of Marty Schottenheimer in regards to his conservative playcalling.

Mike 1967

Reaction score
Jets picky on
Herm ransom

K.C. draft choices already issue

BY RICH CIMINI
DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Herm Edwards' position is that he's not going anywhere, but Jets and Chiefs are already talking about changing the coach's place of employment.

To no one's surprise, retiring Chiefs coach Dick Vermeil delivered a weepy farewell yesterday at Arrowhead Stadium. His former bosses apparently wanted to let the tears dry before making a run at Jets coach Herm Edwards - an official run, that is.
As of early last night, the Jets had yet to receive a formal request from the Chiefs to interview Edwards, according to GM Terry Bradway, but the two teams began informal compensation talks, the NFL Network reported. It was the first step in what could lead to Edwards' exit to Kansas City, possibly by week's end.

"Officially, we haven't received a phone call from Kansas City," Bradway said late yesterday on his radio show. "I really can't comment. Carl (Peterson) will have some options and we'll see what happens."

Bradway chose his words carefully, because he and Chiefs president Peterson, a close friend, did have a brief, "unofficial" conversation in the morning, a person with knowledge of the situation said. They agreed to talk again later in the day. The two teams discussed a package that includes "middle-round draft picks," the network reported.

The compensation issue could be a stumbling block - if it isn't already. The Chiefs are said to be reluctant to part with premium draft choices. Peterson, speaking to reporters in Kansas City, declined to comment when asked specifically about Edwards.

Edwards, who put in a full work day at Weeb Ewbank Hall, maintained that he has no desire to leave. He has two years remaining on his contract. Anticipating a major rebuilding job after a 4-12 season, he's believed to be seeking a two-year extension.

"I'm the Jets coach and that's what I anticipate (for 2006)," he said from his home last night. "I'm not looking at anything."

Meanwhile, the Chiefs continued the search process, lining up interviews with other candidates. They already have interviewed Vermeil's right-hand man, offensive coordinator Al Saunders, who also has drawn interest from the Vikings, Lions and Texans. He's the Chiefs' leading candidate, ESPN reported.

That, of course, could be a smoke screen, a ploy by the Chiefs to make the Jets lower their compensation demands - if, in fact, they're willing to part with Edwards. Bradway has declined comment; he and Edwards are scheduled to hold an end-of-the-season news conference tomorrow.

Edwards' case for a contract extension and/or raise was bolstered yesterday with the news that Commanders defensive coordinator Gregg Williams re-signed for a reported $8 million over three years. As an assistant, he will be earning more than Edwards, who makes about $2 million a year.

Neither Edwards nor his agent has discussed Edwards' contract situation with Jets owner Woody Johnson, according to a person with knowledge of the situation. If Edwards is on the verge of leaving, the Jets need to act quickly because they could miss out on the top candidates when the coaching carousel comes to a stop.

Edwards has told his assistant coaches that he intends to remain with the Jets, sources said.

One assistant, defensive coordinator Donnie Henderson, is expected to meet this weekend with Saints officials with regard to their head-coaching vacancy. Although it was only a formality, the Jets gave the Saints permission yesterday to interview Henderson, the club confirmed.

"I think it's a great opportunity," Henderson said. "You always want to hear your name, and now a team has actually called. It's exciting."

The Saints, who fired Jim Haslett Monday, are expected to interview several candidates. Under the "Rooney Rule," all teams are required to interview at least one minority candidate. Henderson is black.

johnnyd

Reaction score
somebody should show this to the jets fans, pretty sure it's still in effect.

http://www.sptimes.com/2003/01/17/Bucs/NFL_nixes_draft_picks.shtml

NFL nixes draft picks for coaches
Teams no longer can give up picks for compensation, like the Bucs did for Gruden.
By RICK STROUD, Times Staff Writer
© St. Petersburg Times
published January 17, 2003

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TAMPA -- Jon Gruden led the Bucs to a franchise-record 12 victories, a division title and a berth in Sunday's NFC Championship Game against the Eagles. You would have to agree the trade Tampa Bay made with the Raiders for the rights to Gruden is an unqualified success.

Now such a deal is against league rules.

The league Thursday banned the type of trade that enabled the Bucs to sign Gruden. The new policy was announced in a memo to all 32 teams by commissioner Paul Tagliabue, league spokesman Greg Aiello said.

Tagliabue acted after the competition committee concluded that such coach-for-picks trades might be undermining the purpose of the draft.

The co-chairman of the competition committee is Bucs general manager Rich McKay, whose team has reaped the benefits of such a trade.

The Bucs ended a 36-day coaching search by trading two first-round picks, two second-round picks and $8-million to the Raiders for the rights to Gruden, who had a year left on his contract.

Three weeks ago, the Bucs attempted to receive compensation from the Cowboys for the rights to hire Bill Parcells, revealing the two-time Super Bowl-winning coach had signed a four-year contract to coach Tampa Bay a year ago.

But the contract never was submitted to the league office for approval and Tagliabue ruled no compensation was owed.

McKay declined comment Thursday.

The league's owners can decide whether to restore the right to trade draft picks for coaches at their annual meeting March 22-26 in Phoenix.

The league's new policy is not restricted to head coaches. It prevents draft picks from being used to sign anyone under contract with another team, including assistants, front-office personnel or scouts.

Gruden is the latest success story for teams that have been bold enough to package draft picks to hire coaches under contract with other teams.

In 1997, the Jets sent draft picks to New England to acquire the rights to Parcells. Two years later, Parcells led the Jets to the AFC Championship Game.

In 2000, the Patriots sent draft picks to the Jets to hire coach Bill Belichick, who was under contract. Last season, Belichick led New England to the Super Bowl XXXVI title.

This is not the first time the competition committee recommended the league reconsider its policy of swapping picks for coaches. Three years ago it presented its concerns to ownership about teams attempting to receive compensation for assistants.

After firing Tony Dungy and having Parcells renege on a deal to coach Tampa Bay and remain retired, Bucs owners targeted coaches under contract.

First, they offered the 49ers a package of undisclosed draft picks for the rights to Steve Mariucci, who ultimately walked away from an offer to become coach and general manager.

That prompted Bucs vice presidents Joel and Bryan Glazer to call Raiders general partner Al Davis and offer a king's ransom of top picks for the rights to Gruden.

Both teams benefited. The Raiders host Tennessee in the AFC Championship Game while the Bucs travel to Philadelphia for the NFC title game.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
OK here is the story..........a local radio station (Kansas City) heard from a reliable source at Arrowhead that a deal was close. Rather than just go on the air and broadcast something unconfirmed, they called WFAN to confirm if they heard anything. At that time WFAN said "no, we are dropping the story but would check into it to see if it had changed". Approx. 20 minutes later WFAN called the local radio station back and said they had checked with their sources and found out that what the radio station heard was true. According to WFAN "a deal was as good as done and they are talking about compensation. A announcement could come as early as tonight".

At that time the KC radio station came on the air to report that WFAN was going on the air to confirm a deal was almost done. The KC radio station wasn't going to report anything else, just that WFAN was going to report the nearly completed deal. Next thing you know the NY media starts is usual routine. It was very interesting to listen to this unfold and see how a much smaller market was handling the situation as opposed to a big city market like NY.

Also, Edwards does have a history that goes back quite a while with Carl Peterson. It is believed that Edwards is Peterson's first choice to replace Vermeil. Since Edwards is a African American, Peterson could hire him without interviewing anyone else.

Kilyin

Reaction score
POSTED 3:43 p.m. EST, January 2, 2006

CLEARING THE AIR ON PICKS FOR COACHES

After the Bucs acquired Raiders coach Jon Gruden by sending a pack of picks to the pirates of Piedmont, the NFL circulated a memo that supposedly prohibited this practice.

As explained in the January 17, 2003 St. Petersburg Times, the Competition Committee had concluded that the use of draft picks to secure coaches could be undermining the purposes of the draft.

Not long thereafter, then-Bucs G.M. Rich McKay told ESPN.com that the memo was not intended to apply to head coaches.

At a time when there will be plenty of head coaching vacancies and not enough high-end candidates, some teams could be interested in guys who already are gainfully employed with other NFL teams. Thus, the possibility of using draft picks has come up again, and plenty of our readers wanted to know whether the practice was still permitted.

League spokesman Greg Aiello told us on Monday that draft picks can be used to acquire a head coach or a high-ranking club executive (such as G.M. or the equivalent). Draft choices cannot be used, per Aiello, to acquire coordinators, position coaches, or executives below the level of president or G.M.

We've got a feeling that this rule will come into play for at least one of the current coaching and/or G.M. vacancies this year, possibly if the Chiefs come after coach Herm Edwards of the Jets.

From the Daily Turd: http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
Herm's former Eagles teammate, Jerry Sisemore, is on talk radio a lot in Austin, and he says that Herm was pretty much despised by all of his teammates in Philly because he was such a lockerroom politician and self promoter. I always took it with a grain of salt, but he does things that really make me think there is a lot of truth to it.

Mike 1967

Reaction score
InmanRoshi said:
Herm's former Eagles teammate, Jerry Sisemore, is on talk radio a lot in Austin, and he says that Herm was pretty much despised by all of his teammates in Philly because he was such a lockerroom politician and self promoter. I always took it with a grain of salt, but he does things that really make me think there is a lot of truth to it.

I listen to Sisemore sometimes (although I cannot stand the other clowns on 1260/1530.) To bad Sizemore only comes on from time to time.

Sisemore does not seem to me to be someone who would make false accusations about another person.

So his comments hold some weight with me.

Gryphon

Merge Ahead
Reaction score
WFAN in New York is reporting that Herm Edwards is out as Jets coach. It could become official as early as tonight. The Chiefs and Jets are currently negotiating draft picks as compensation. According to WFAN's Mike Francesa, Jets owner Woody Johnson is tired of Edwards asking for a contract extension. The team also reportedly isn't happy about some recent leaks to the media. Rumors say that Johnson will let his coach go for a third and fifth round draft pick. That said, it's not good news for a Jets franchise that is already having roster and morale problems. Defensive coordinator Donnie Henderson and offensive coordinator Mike Heimerdinger are both likely candidates to replace Herm.

jksmith269

Proud Navy Veteran 1990-1995
Reaction score
I don't discount your post or the other one but I'm wondering why ESPN News hasn't said a word about it? Could it be a rumor from a sourse that no one has verified "Yet"?

SDogo

Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev
Reaction score
jksmith269 said:
I don't discount your post or the other one but I'm wondering why ESPN News hasn't said a word about it? Could it be a rumor from a sourse that no one has verified "Yet"?

Not sure how legit this is....

http://www.dinocosta.com/ToC.html

GTaylor

Gif Dude
Reaction score
Gee whiz is Parcells the only non-playoff coach who still has a job???

Kilyin

Reaction score
GTaylor said:
Gee whiz is Parcells the only non-playoff coach who still has a job???

Don't forget Billick, I thought he'd get a pinkslip for sure. And Schottenheimer hasn't gotten fired yet.

kartr

Reaction score
JohnnyO said:
A) It's all over WFAN

B) Herm is a clown -an absolute clown -so bad he needed to hire a clock coach, I'm serious. No coach over the last 4 years has blown more games in the crunch than Herm.

C) Jets fans are doing cartwheels.

D) It's inexplicable b/c Herm SIGNED the contract.

You must be kidding. Herm's teams shows up every week, qb or no qb.
Bradway is the real clown. He paid 64 mil. to a weak-arm brittle qb who has never played an entire season. He let Ferguson,Jordan and McKenzie and Carter go and he traded away Santana Moss who has had a pro bowl season this year. Their complaint last year was that Moss doesn't make enough plays for a first rounder. Well, he was ranked 5th in receptions, yardage and yards per catch in the weeks that Carter started. His numbers were in the 30th percentile when Pennington was the starter. Go figure. Herm is lucky to get out of there and find a team with a real GM.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
kartr said:
You must be kidding. Herm's teams shows up every week, qb or no qb.
Bradway is the real clown. He paid 64 mil. to a weak-arm brittle qb who has never played an entire season. He let Ferguson,Jordan and McKenzie and Carter go and he traded away Santana Moss who has had a pro bowl season this year. Their complaint last year was that Moss doesn't make enough plays for a first rounder. Well, he was ranked 5th in receptions, yardage and yards per catch in the weeks that Carter started. His numbers were in the 30th percentile when Pennington was the starter. Go figure. Herm is lucky to get out of there and find a team with a real GM.
I finally agree with you on something?

Herm hasn't had a QB in 4 years.

SkinsandTerps

Commanders Forever
Reaction score
Bradway is a moron.

Geez. If he doesnt go after this fiasco than Woody is an idiot too.

There are so many big mistakes over the past few years with this franchise it isnt even funny.

Coles
Moss
Jordan
Pennington
Chrebet
Hall
Abraham
Thomas
McCariens
Martin
etc,etc,etc.

This franchise needs to be built from the top down at this point.

Jets have drafted well at least.

marsbennett

Mars Man
Reaction score
JohnnyO said:
Word just coming out now - Herm inexlplicably is furious that he is so underpaid - so the Jets said take a walk.

Enter Tuna?
No linky, no props.

marsbennett

Mars Man
Reaction score
Hostile said:
I finally agree with you on something?

Herm hasn't had a QB in 4 years.
despite the rumor status, Herm fits well in KC, imo. He's just like Dick.

Wouldn't Herm leaving with a silent BP make for interesting dribble for a week or so?