Pre 2003 - (4) Roy, Ellis, Adams, Gurode
FA 2007 - (2) Hamlin & L.Davis
Draft 2007 - (1) Folk

Under Parcells...
Draft - (8) Newman, Witten, Ware, James, Ratliff, Spears, Canty, Julius
UDFA - (3) Romo, Hoyte, McBriar
Trade - (1) Glenn
FA - (5) TO, Henry, Columbo, Kosier, Ayodele

Fairly compelling numbers. But then again some reports give Jerry credit for signing TO and drafting Ware ahead of Merriman. Does Parcells get all the credit for Romo or does he share that with Payton. Does Parcells gets credit for picking Witten in the 3rd or blame for picking Johnson ahead of him in the 2nd where Witten really was expected to go?

I know we can split hairs on this stuff all day. And frankly, some of it truly is right place, right time (the chance to draft Ware or Newman etc.,)

Comments?

Eddie

Reaction score
I think many people were involved in building this team ... Jerry Jones, Bill Parcells, Jeff Ireland, and Wade Phillips.

03EBZ06

Need2Speed
Reaction score
Eddie;1829061 said:
I think many people were involved in building this team ... Jerry Jones, Bill Parcells, Jeff Ireland, and Wade Phillips.
Yup, I agree.

Gangsta Spanksta

Reaction score
Give the man his credit I say. His Play Calling may have become questionable, but the guy sure knew how to build a team. Parcells can be proud of the team he build. But for the 12-1, that credit goes to Wade and the staff.

WV Cowboy

Waitin' on the 6th
Reaction score
It was a good time for Parcells to go, the right time, .. but I give him a ton of credit for giving our program legs again.

He turned us around from a bunch of floundering fools to a football team again.

He taught us how to practice again, how to think we could win football games again, how to carry ourselves as professional football players again.

He upgraded the talent level immensely. He brought us back to credibility again.

Having coached myself for 16 yrs though, I realize that that takes absolutely nothing away from the great job Wade has done this year.

Parcells ran a great leg of the race, and handed the baton to Phillip's, who has carried it successfully so far, ... but the baton was on the ground in the bushes when Parcells got here.

Gangsta Spanksta

Reaction score
BTW, TO is right; we didn't use him effectively last year. Madden specifically pointed out what was wrong there in the commentary.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Eddie;1829061 said:

I agree. No one man builds a great team, normally many are involved in the overall process. In the end I give big props to Jerry because he makes the final call and when those calls have gone wrong he shouldered the entire blame and while I don't give Jerry the entire credit I do give him major props for a job well done.

Gangsta Spanksta

Reaction score
:D You know without Parcells it could have easily been more Campos and Gaileys for years to come. ;) Also, thanks to Aikman, Jerry almost made one of the biggest mistake possible. Norv was almost our head coach. I think the guy is a hell of a Offensive Coordinator. But he sucks as a Head Coach. I think he lacks that Passion that a head coach needs.

Gangsta Spanksta

Reaction score
Doomsday101;1829091 said:
I agree. No one man builds a great team, normally many are involved in the overall process. In the end I give big props to Jerry because he makes the final call and when those calls have gone wrong he shouldered the entire blame and while I don't give Jerry the entire credit I do give him major props for a job well done.

I'm not saying other people don't deserve credit; that's how we lost Jimmy! But everywhere Parcells goes he builds a winner (and then usually leaves).

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Gangsta Spanksta;1829095 said:
I'm not saying other people don't deserve credit; that's how we lost Jimmy! But everywhere Parcells goes he builds a winner (and then usually leaves).

I like BP and I think his being here helped this franchise. However the one common and the one who makes the final call that is Jerry Jones. Jerry took the heat when things went bad and I just feel Jerry deserves his due for helping turn things back around.

khiladi

Reaction score
mickgreen58;1829072 said:
Newman was Parcells' first pick.

I stopped reading after that.

That was pretty much the consensus pick anyways... Dallas was clearly going for a corner, no matter the coach, and Newman was by far the best available corner in the draft...

Another dimension to this argument is that Parcells fell into a golden oppurtunity... no salary cap hell and plenty of money to work with and plenty of draft picks...

Tell that to media, because they jumped on the bandwagon of giving Parcells all the credit for building a formidable team ... before jumping on that bandwagon, they were telling us how over-rated we were...

khiladi

Reaction score
Gangsta Spanksta;1829093 said:
:D You know without Parcells it could have easily been more Campos and Gaileys for years to come. ;) Also, thanks to Aikman, Jerry almost made one of the biggest mistake possible. Norv was almost our head coach. I think the guy is a hell of a Offensive Coordinator. But he sucks as a Head Coach. I think he lacks that Passion that a head coach needs.

Who said Jerry ALMOST made Norv coach... Adam Schefter was reporting a week and half before Wade was even announced not to sleep on Wade, because word in Valley Ranch is that, Wade's name was actually the person to keep an eye on, and Adam was saying not to be so sure that it was going to be Norv... By the time Jerry announced Wade, everybody had forgotten about him, and were speculating Norv or some young coach. Jerry fooled everybody. Wade was always his pick.

That is why he already had Jason Garrett in place... he wasn't really looking at Norv...

Mr Cowboy

Reaction score
Gangsta Spanksta;1829093 said:

You think Parcells would have done as well with resources that Gailey and Campo had? No picks, no cap, and aging stars hanging on.

BP basically had the same roster that is 12-1 now.......he bought some of the groceries, but couldn't figure out how to turn the stove on.

If this team was 1-12, would Key be mentioning that Parcells built this team?

khiladi

Reaction score
Mr Cowboy;1829122 said:

If they lost to Detroit and Green Bay, they would be talking about how over-rated Dallas was....

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
Mr Cowboy;1829122 said:

Yes, he would be ripping Jerry Jones for running Parcells out of town.