Hey Key! Who Did Build this Team?

StanleySpadowski

Reaction score
A whole group of people built this team.

There are arguments over player acquisition. Sometimes Parcells won the argument (Jacob Rogers, Bledsoe...) sometimes he lost the argument (Owens, Newman...)

That's how a majority of professional sports organizations are set up. Sometimes the GM has the final say, sometimes the owner, sometimes the director of personnel.

The only thing we know for 100% certain is that Parcells did not have the final say in Dallas and that's who should be getting the "credit" (and the "blame") for every decision made.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
StanleySpadowski;1829176 said:

There are arguments over player acquisition. Sometimes Parcells won the argument (Jacob Rogers, Bledsoe...) sometimes he lost the argument (Owens, Newman...)

That's how a majority of professional sports organizations are set up. Sometimes the GM has the final say, sometimes the owner, sometimes the director of personnel.

The only thing we know for 100% certain is that Parcells did not have the final say in Dallas and that's who should be getting the "credit" (and the "blame") for every decision made.

I know who does have the final say and that is Jerry Jones. Nothing is done without Jerry approval. Jerry may agree but when it comes to trigger pulling time nothing regarding the Cowboys is done without Jerry ok

WV Cowboy

Waitin' on the 6th
Reaction score
Doomsday101;1829189 said:
I know who does have the final say and that is Jerry Jones. Nothing is done without Jerry approval. Jerry may agree but when it comes to trigger pulling time nothing regarding the Cowboys is done without Jerry ok

Can we now surmise that Jerry wanted Owens and Parcells did not, and that's why Parcells acted like a dork about it?

Gangsta Spanksta

Reaction score
Doomsday101;1829107 said:
I like BP and I think his being here helped this franchise. However the one common and the one who makes the final call that is Jerry Jones. Jerry took the heat when things went bad and I just feel Jerry deserves his due for helping turn things back around.

I'm no Jerry hater. I think Jimmy was just as much as fault for the split as Jerry. Both could have gotten their dues. But I believe one of the reasons Jerry hired Parcells was to rebuild his team. And yes, Parcells rebuild with Jerry; he even said so himself. I just have to give Parcells his dues because before him the rebuilding job wasn't getting fully done.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
WV Cowboy;1829201 said:
Can we now surmise that Jerry wanted Owens and Parcells did not, and that's why Parcells acted like a dork about it?

I always maintained that Jerry is the one who wanted TO and I think he sold that ideal to BP and BP went along with it.

StanleySpadowski

Reaction score
Doomsday101;1829189 said:

The big difference it seems is that Jones was getting better arguments presented to him. Before Parcells, there was one person's arguments that Jones trusted more than others. Once Parcells was in Dallas, I think Jones became more open to listening to all sides.

WV Cowboy

Waitin' on the 6th
Reaction score
Doomsday101;1829209 said:
I always maintained that Jerry is the one who wanted TO and I think he sold that ideal to BP and BP went along with it.

I kind of feel the same way Dooms, but others would say that Parcells never wanted him here and so he never welcomed him or accepted him being here.

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
StanleySpadowski;1829211 said:
The big difference it seems is that Jones was getting better arguments presented to him. Before Parcells, there was one person's arguments that Jones trusted more than others. Once Parcells was in Dallas, I think Jones became more open to listening to all sides.

Yes, and besides Romo and revamping the Scouting Department, this is without a doubt the biggest asset that Parcells brought to the table, humbling Jerry Jones and having enough skins on the wall to challenge Jerry Jones on key decisions.

IMO, that was one of the biggest problems we had, Jerry was just way out of control.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Gangsta Spanksta;1829205 said:
I'm no Jerry hater. I think Jimmy was just as much as fault for the split as Jerry. Both could have gotten their dues. But I believe one of the reasons Jerry hired Parcells was to rebuild his team. And yes, Parcells rebuild with Jerry; he even said so himself. I just have to give Parcells his dues because before him the rebuilding job wasn't getting fully done.

I'm not taking any credit away from BP. I think BP was the right man at the right time for this team. I do think BP style can wear on a team much like Mike Ditka style but I think this team needed that hardnosed style. Wade comes in as more of a player’s coach and again I think this was the right man at the right time. As for Jerry as I said nothing in Dallas takes place without Jerry Jones approval. He is the boss and very active with this team. He was blasted when things went bad and in my view he deserves a lot of credit for how things are moving forward now.

StanleySpadowski

Reaction score
WV Cowboy;1829212 said:
I kind of feel the same way Dooms, but others would say that Parcells never wanted him here and so he never welcomed him or accepted him being here.

Jones was bringing Owens to Dallas regardless. He didn't need to "sell" Parcells on Owens he only needed to "sell" Parcells on collecting a substantial paycheck for one more year.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
WV Cowboy;1829212 said:

Not to the point where he was willing to leave because of it and I don't think BP left because of TO I think he left for the reason he has stepped down before and that is because the job tends to take it's toll on him

Gangsta Spanksta

Reaction score
khiladi;1829120 said:
Who said Jerry ALMOST made Norv coach... Adam Schefter was reporting a week and half before Wade was even announced not to sleep on Wade, because word in Valley Ranch is that, Wade's name was actually the person to keep an eye on, and Adam was saying not to be so sure that it was going to be Norv... By the time Jerry announced Wade, everybody had forgotten about him, and were speculating Norv or some young coach. Jerry fooled everybody. Wade was always his pick.

That is why he already had Jason Garrett in place... he wasn't really looking at Norv...

The Media said Jerry ALMOST made Norv coach. There was Troy Aikman. There were responses in the media like, "It's Norv's job to lose." There was Jerry talking to Norv. And the media reported that Norv made an outragious demand that he would be Head Coach only if the Jerry would get the Chicago Defensive Coordinator. At that point, everyone stopped believing Norv would be head coach, considering that the Chicago guy did a better job than Norv, and it would be insulting not to offer him a Head Coaching job and instead ask him to be under someone with a worst record (at the time) than him. Also, at that time Chicago looked like a better Team to stick with, and the Chargers probably looked more promissing for Norv.

Anyway, all this talk about someone saying "Don't count Wade out" doesn't prove anything. All that says is they were keeping their options open. If they said to count him out, they also couldn't go back to him later: he'd be insulted.

So, unless you have any evidence to disprove what was being said by the local media at the time, I'll continue believing that Norv almost was Head Coach here.

Doomsday101

Reaction score

Jerry turned things around within his organization and how things would be done. He was willing to look at his own faults and correct them. I think everyone one in all walks of life make mistakes but are you willing to look at your mistakes and make changes and Jerry Jones has done that.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
StanleySpadowski;1829176 said:

Good post.

I tend to look a little more along the lines of how Parcells changed the culture at Valley Ranch. There is no question that the work ethic he imparted to the team is paying dividends. He taught the team how to train and prepare which will continue to pay dividends for years to come.

Youre right though Parcells played a role in personell but he certainly wasnt the man.

Gangsta Spanksta

Reaction score
Mr Cowboy;1829122 said:
You think Parcells would have done as well with resources that Gailey and Campo had? No picks, no cap, and aging stars hanging on.

BP basically had the same roster that is 12-1 now.......he bought some of the groceries, but couldn't figure out how to turn the stove on.

If this team was 1-12, would Key be mentioning that Parcells built this team?

:rolleyes: I can only go by Parcell's past record. He has always build a winner so far. Gailey and Campo were bad head coaches. I don't really base that on their record, moreso on some of their decisions. I can't play the what if game about what parcells could have done. You also fail to mention that during this time, Jerry picked up some expensive free agents. Maybe, Parcells would have advised against this Galloway deal? 2 first round picks? I thought we didn't have anything to work with. Me thinks you're painting the picture a whole lot worst to make a point

Gangsta Spanksta

Reaction score

Link please. :rolleyes:

khiladi

Reaction score
Anyway, all this talk about someone saying "Don't count Wade out" doesn't prove anything. All that says is they were keeping their options open. If they said to count him out, they also couldn't go back to him later: he'd be insulted.

The media also said Bill left because T.O. ran him out of town.

And no, the words of Adam Schefter depends on context. Adam Schefter stated specifically that this was the word at Valley Ranch, and he was speaking in terms of the front runner for the job. It wasn't about keeping options open or that Wade was still on the list.

Jerry never said anything. And Jerry brought in Jason Garrett way before he even hired Wade to coach the team. Jerry was never looking at offense.

The only reason the media projected Norv Turner is because of his ties with Troy Aikman. And that is the only reason everybody else bought it.

Jerry was going Wade the moment he interviewed him.

Gangsta Spanksta

Reaction score
Doomsday101;1829224 said:
I'm not taking any credit away from BP. I think BP was the right man at the right time for this team. I do think BP style can wear on a team much like Mike Ditka style but I think this team needed that hardnosed style. Wade comes in as more of a player’s coach and again I think this was the right man at the right time. As for Jerry as I said nothing in Dallas takes place without Jerry Jones approval. He is the boss and very active with this team. He was blasted when things went bad and in my view he deserves a lot of credit for how things are moving forward now.

I'm not a fun of Bill's Play Calling when he was here. I do see him as a good engineer at building Teams. Jerry Record at GMing before BP was laughed at by many people. He made a better GM than Jimmy Johnson though in the Salary Cap era. Parcells has a good record at building Teams. Is it just an amazing coincidence that once he came here we got it right? Parcells didn't need this job and could have left anytime he felt unhappy. If he felt that Jerry wasn't letting him do his thing, would he had stayed? And who's to say that Jerry and Parcells really disagreed on any of the decisions? Who says that Jerry didn't rubber stamp some of Parcells ideas, or Parcell didn't rubber stamp some of Jerry's? Also, after he quit, Parcells hung around Valley Ranch for awhile. Jerry and Bill had a good relationship.

Also, people here like to put up stats like McNabb with T.O and McNabb without T.O. What about some Jerry with Bill or Jimmy and Jerry without Bill or Jimmy stats? I like Jones :) and he has made some good decisions as a GM. I think Parcell's deserves most of the Credit for building this team. Jerry deserves Credit too, especially for being one of the best owners in the NFL.

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
Gangsta Spanksta;1829311 said:
I'm not a fun of Bill's Play Calling when he was here. I do see him as a good engineer at building Teams. Jerry Record at GMing before BP was laughed at by many people. He made a better GM than Jimmy Johnson though in the Salary Cap era. Parcells has a good record at building Teams. Is it just an amazing coincidence that once he came here we got it right? Parcells didn't need this job and could have left anytime he felt unhappy. If he felt that Jerry wasn't letting him do his thing, would he had stayed? And who's to say that Jerry and Parcells really disagreed on any of the decisions? Who says that Jerry didn't rubber stamp some of Parcells ideas, or Parcell didn't rubber stamp some of Jerry's? Also, after he quit, Parcells hung around Valley Ranch for awhile. Jerry and Bill had a good relationship.

Also, people here like to put up stats like McNabb with T.O and McNabb without T.O. What about some Jerry with Bill or Jimmy and Jerry without Bill or Jimmy stats? I like Jones :) and he has made some good decisions as a GM. I think Parcell's deserves most of the Credit for building this team. Jerry deserves Credit too, especially for being one of the best owners in the NFL.

I agree with alot of what you said.

The only thing I disagree with is the part about Parcells not needing this job.

Was he going to be out on the street, nope. But I do think he needed the money.

I believe he was going through a divorce or had just finished going throgh one and also was building a huge house back east.

I think alot of his posturing (I believe after the 2005 Season) about whether he was coming back or not had to do with the fact that he wanted alot more money.

I know being an ESPN Analyst wasn't going to pay him what Jerry was.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Gangsta Spanksta;1829311 said:

Well BP did not hire Jerry Jones and BP does not coach in Dallas without Jerry Jones BP did not hire Jeff Ireland Jerry did and that was a very good move making changes in our scouting department after all HC does not spend the entire season and off season scouting talent the scouting department does. Jerry owns this team and makes the calls. Yes he has made mistake so has every other GM who has been in the NFL. There is no such thing as a perfect GM and in many cases these guys so from Genius to morons in the eyes of many over the life time of their careers. I agree Jerry made mistakes, hell Jerry admits to making mistakes but one thing that has not changed anything that happens in Dallas does not happen without Jerry Jones approval. As for BP again I don't know how many times I have to say it yes he was very important in my eyes to the turnaround of the Cowboys.