Hey Key! Who Did Build this Team?

Gangsta Spanksta

Reaction score
khiladi;1829302 said:
The media also said Bill left because T.O. ran him out of town.

And no, the words of Adam Schefter depends on context. Adam Schefter stated specifically that this was the word at Valley Ranch, and he was speaking in terms of the front runner for the job. It wasn't about keeping options open or that Wade was still on the list.

Jerry never said anything. And Jerry brought in Jason Garrett way before he even hired Wade to coach the offense. Jerry was never looking at offense.

The only reason the media projected Norv Turner is because of his ties with Troy Aikman. And that is the only reason everybody else bought it.

Jerry was going Wade the moment he interviewed him.

Didn't Jerry interview Wade after Norv? Isn't that after Norv had reported to make those demands? You think Aikman has Jerry Ear? Does Jerry take care of former Cowboys? Like say Garrett? In fact, I think I heard Jerry saying some good things about Norv before that interview? Also, I could be wrong, but I think Jerry did talk to the Chicago Defensive Coordinator after talking to Norv. I think Norv lost the job due to his stupidity, and went to a team that looked better than the Cowboys at the time. And thank God for that!

nathanlt

Reaction score
Mr Cowboy;1829122 said:
You think Parcells would have done as well with resources that Gailey and Campo had? No picks, no cap, and aging stars hanging on.

BP basically had the same roster that is 12-1 now.......he bought some of the groceries, but couldn't figure out how to turn the stove on.

If this team was 1-12, would Key be mentioning that Parcells built this team?

Parcells built much of the team, but Phillips and Garrett are leading it.

That name, Garrett, sounds like an old western gunslinger, by the way.

CoCo

Reaction score
mickgreen58;1829072 said:
Newman was Parcells' first pick.

I stopped reading after that.

Error fixed. Thanks for pointing it out so graciously. :rolleyes:

khiladi

Reaction score
Gangsta Spanksta;1829330 said:
Didn't Jerry interview Wade after Norv? Isn't that after Norv had reported to make those demands? You think Aikman has Jerry Ear? Does Jerry take care of former Cowboys? Like say Garrett? In fact, I think I heard Jerry saying some good things about Norv before that interview? Also, I could be wrong, but I think Jerry did talk to the Chicago Defensive Coordinator after talking to Norv. I think Norv lost the job due to his stupidity, and went to a team that looked better than the Cowboys at the time. And thank God for that!

And Jerry interviewed a bunch of candidates after Wade, not just Norv... wade was teh first one he interviewed, which should give anyone a clue that Wade was his man. Jerry's next 7 or so interviewees were really just a matter of formality. The fact is, he hired Jason Garret way before he began the coaching process. This clearly reveals that offense wasn't on his mind in looking for a head coach. Plus, he invested way too many draft picks in defense, and Jerry has come out in saying that the amount of money he invested in defense made him go for a defensive-minded coach. He realized that problem way before the hiring process even began. Further, the Chicago defenseice coordiantor ran a 4-3 and Jerry was not going 4-3 no matter what. He stated that as well. They spent a lot to go 3-4 and they weren't going back.

Norv was just mentioned only because of his ties to the Cowboys. And while Jerry takes care of former Cowboys, it doesn't mean he hires them at the expense of the team. He fired Dave Campo and Chan Gailey, former Cowboy assistant coaches...

Gangsta Spanksta

Reaction score
khiladi;1829378 said:
And Jerry interviewed a bunch of candidates after Wade, not just Norv... wade was teh first one he interviewed, which should give anyone a clue that Wade was his man. Jerry's next 7 or so interviewees were really just a matter of formality. The fact is, he hired Jason Garret way before he began the coaching process. This clearly reveals that offense wasn't on his mind in looking for a head coach. Plus, he invested way too many draft picks in defense, and Jerry has come out in saying that the amount of money he invested in defense made him go for a defensive-minded coach. He realized that problem way before the hiring process even began. Further, the Chicago defenseice coordiantor ran a 4-3 and Jerry was not going 4-3 no matter what. He stated that as well. They spent a lot to go 3-4 and they weren't going back.

Norv was just mentioned only because of his ties to the Cowboys. And while Jerry takes care of former Cowboys, it doesn't mean he hires them at the expense of the team. He fired Dave Campo and Chan Gailey, former Cowboy assistant coaches...

It's would not be like the first time we had a 4-3 guy trying to run a 3-4 team. Yes it is stupid, but I really think that Aikman had Jerry ears on that one. Also, on that note Garrett could have been hired because of troy's suggestion and All three Aikman, Garrett, and Norv are reportedly friends. I'll just have to agree to disagree with you :) ... Everything at the time just seemed to fall into place as it was reported. Also, Gailey is a former *Steelers* assistant, not Cowboys.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
CoCo;1829056 said:
Starters only...

Pre or Post Parcells...
Pre 2003 - (4) Roy, Ellis, Adams, Gurode
FA 2007 - (2) Hamlin & L.Davis
Draft 2007 - (1) Folk

Under Parcells...
Draft - (8) Newman, Witten, Ware, James, Ratliff, Spears, Canty, Julius
UDFA - (3) Romo, Hoyte, McBriar
Trade - (1) Glenn
FA - (5) TO, Henry, Columbo, Kosier, Ayodele

Fairly compelling numbers. But then again some reports give Jerry credit for signing TO and drafting Ware ahead of Merriman. Does Parcells get all the credit for Romo or does he share that with Payton. Does Parcells gets credit for picking Witten in the 3rd or blame for picking Johnson ahead of him in the 2nd where Witten really was expected to go?

I know we can split hairs on this stuff all day. And frankly, some of it truly is right place, right time (the chance to draft Ware or Newman etc.,)

Comments?

dude, there is no debate, parcells rebuilt this organization not just the team. Jeff Ireland is making decisions on draft day because parcells put him in position to do that. He implemented the system this organization is using right now. He restructured personnel departments and removed scouts.

Parcells just couldnt get the most out of the players on gameday anymore. He is definitely the architect though.

Its not even a topic as far as I am concerned. Even if you hate the guy your a fool to not admit he put it all together.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
Parcells signed some, Wade signed some.

But, in the last analysis, Jerra has been the constant -- from the Jimma Johnson era to the Wade Phillips era.

Jerra allowed the picks and Jerra opened his wallet. And he put his cred on the line.

It's about time that Jerra, for all of the criticism leveled at him for some 17 years now, begins to take some of the credit.
He built the modern Cowboys and has already surpassed the former Landry/Schram/Bright/Murchison regime in Super Bowls. And I get the feeling that the best is yet to come.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
This team was an utter mess before Parcells. He rebuilt 85% of our 53 man roster.

He and Ireland deserve a lot of credit, and Wade has done an even better job coaching this team.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
GimmeTheBall!;1829650 said:
Parcells signed some, Wade signed some.

But, in the last analysis, Jerra has been the constant -- from the Jimma Johnson era to the Wade Phillips era.

Jerra allowed the picks and Jerra opened his wallet. And he put his cred on the line.

It's about time that Jerra, for all of the criticism leveled at him for some 17 years now, begins to take some of the credit.
He built the modern Cowboys and has already surpassed the former Landry/Schram/Bright/Murchison regime in Super Bowls. And I get the feeling that the best is yet to come.

JJ had two good runs when he had football guys making the football calls. He flamed out for near a decade when he tried to do it his way.

Big question is how much influence do Ireland and Wade have forward?

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Parcells contributed to this roster. Thank you Bill.

Parcells is gone now. Goodbye and good riddance.

I've moved on.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Doomsday101;1829107 said:
I like BP and I think his being here helped this franchise. However the one common and the one who makes the final call that is Jerry Jones. Jerry took the heat when things went bad and I just feel Jerry deserves his due for helping turn things back around.

I doubt Jerry overruled every suggestion to acquiring players that Bill put forth, I say both should get kudos for the job done so far, as well as Ireland, and Stephen w/ the cap

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
StanleySpadowski;1829227 said:
Jones was bringing Owens to Dallas regardless. He didn't need to "sell" Parcells on Owens he only needed to "sell" Parcells on collecting a substantial paycheck for one more year.

yet he still felt the need to ask Parcells 3 times if they should move forth and bring in TO

Jerry may have had the final say, but Bill was in his ear a whole lot

Reaction score
Bill Parcells certainly deserves credit for helping mold this team however Phillips and Garrett deserve a lot of credit as well...

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
ThreeSportStar80;1829769 said:
Bill Parcells certainly deserves credit for helping mold this team however Phillips and Garrett deserve a lot of credit as well...

I agree, Bill's style is conducive to rebuilding teams, Wade's is conducive to winning alot of games

Mr Cowboy

Reaction score
Gangsta Spanksta;1829257 said:
:rolleyes: I can only go by Parcell's past record. He has always build a winner so far. Gailey and Campo were bad head coaches. I don't really base that on their record, moreso on some of their decisions. I can't play the what if game about what parcells could have done. You also fail to mention that during this time, Jerry picked up some expensive free agents. Maybe, Parcells would have advised against this Galloway deal? 2 first round picks? I thought we didn't have anything to work with. Me thinks you're painting the picture a whole lot worst to make a point

Gaily and Campo, I agree were bad coaches, but had they had the freedom and resources that Parcells had, they too would have brought in talent, and got rid of the aging stars. There were no picks because of the Galloway trade, and becasue of the re-working of contracts, they were salary cap hell. The only high priced free agent they signed here was Ryan McNeill, whom they cut after one year for salary cap reasons, despite 9 interceptions.

I'm not convinced that a number of competent coaches could have come in, with the personnel making authority and cap space, and not made this team much better than BP did.

Parcells made some monumental drafting and personnel errors. He had his best year in Dallas using the players of the great Dave Campo. Thereafter, the only consistancy of his teams came with the yearly December merltdown.

He was a bad coach and decision maker, who demanded that no one be bigger than him. He made the team better, but had he properly used his high draft picks, this team would a dynasty.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
^^you're reaching dude

for 1, Campo hasn't had a HC job since he left here, in fact I haven't seen him be considered for ANY HC jobs, and Gailey just got run out of GTech

those were just your obvious flaws

Mr Cowboy

Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;1829781 said:
^^you're reaching dude

for 1, Campo hasn't had a HC job since he left here, in fact I haven't seen him be considered for ANY HC jobs, and Gailey just got run out of GTech

those were just your obvious flaws

you missed the point.......these guys never had the freedom or cap space, so you can't blame their bad coaching records on their personnel decisions.

You're praising BP for his personnel decisions, but BP had the cap space and decision making authority that the others didn't. And yet, just like Gailey he was 2 games over .500 with two palyoff losses. Genious!

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Mr Cowboy;1829796 said:
you missed the point.......these guys never had the freedom or cap space, so you can't blame their bad coaching records on their personnel decisions.

You're praising BP for his personnel decisions, but BP had the cap space and decision making authority that the others didn't. And yet, just like Gailey he was 2 games over .500 with two palyoff losses. Genious!

the point I'm making is that not just any, old coach can do what Bill did

yes he had his share of mistakes, but he did some good things too, such as taking a flyer on Mark Colombo, trading for Terry Glenn, sitting and developing Romo, bringing in Jason Ferguson, brought in David Lee, etc.

hell, even signing Vinny Testeverde turned out great, indirectly, since Romo credits his preparedness and NFL work ethic from him

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
We found more undrafted free agents and draft day 2 contributors in one year under Parcells than we did in 7 years under the Jerry and Larry show combined. I don't think that's just a coinkydink, and it has absolutely nothing to with cap space.

Second of all, don't you think one of the reasons this team is doing so well out the gate transitioning to Wade and Garrett schemes might have just a little bit to do with the fact that Parcells put a premium on Dallas filling the roster with smart players and hard workers?

Parcells was basically a business consultant who came into a business that was on the brink of Chapter 11, couldn't pay it's bills, bleeding money, no business model in place to make money, and no management leadershiip. when he left it was out of the red, paying it's bills, management in place implementing a business model that was making money with great potential to make more ... and people said he was a 'failure' because he didn't turn it into Microsoft in four years.

Gangsta Spanksta

Reaction score
Nors;1829703 said:
This team was an utter mess before Parcells. He rebuilt 85% of our 53 man roster.

He and Ireland deserve a lot of credit, and Wade has done an even better job coaching this team.

:bow: