Highest graded QBs vs the blitz

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
You nailed it, well done.

No matter what one thinks about Rush as a QB, it's hard to dispute how quickly he processes the defense. Easy to see he's a student of the game. He just wasn't blessed with the natural abilities to ever be elite in my opinion. Too bad because he has the head for it.

I never want to see any player injured, but I think most of us didn't realize Rush's football IQ. The guy has really put in work just to stay in the league. I'll always root for guys like that.

Exactly, it's like the reasoning people use for a disability, the person improves other area's to offset what's lacking. With Rush, he know's he's not running so he processes. In Dak's case he's previously relied on his legs to offset a lesser talent in reading progression....since the ankle and calf injury he's stuck on the line of scrimmage and appears (well to me) to panic and he acknowledges it's not his best talent.

If Dak get's back his running game it's going to open up a lot for him.

khiladi

Reaction score
Exactly, it's like the reasoning people use for a disability, the person improves other area's to offset what's lacking. With Rush, he know's he's not running so he processes. In Dak's case he's previously relied on his legs to offset a lesser talent in reading progression....since the ankle and calf injury he's stuck on the line of scrimmage and appears (well to me) to panic and he acknowledges it's not his best talent.

If Dak get's back his running game it's going to open up a lot for him.

Except for the last sentence that I don’t agree with, good analysts. Though I would argue that Rush processes fast, which is why he doesn’t bother to run. Facts are, that’s the QBs main role, to process quickly and throw, it isn’t to run and make plays. The latter is primarily a reactionary trait as a QB. Great QBs possess the ability to process, with the physical talents. QBs that rely on running, because they don’t profess fast, are never great and they peak. Randall Cunningham was better in ever respect than Dak in terms of throwing as well as running. He still wasn’t a threat to win the SB.

nyc-cowboy

Reaction score
So just blitz Mahomes and Herbert and not Cooper Rush?

Think it’s got something to do with our o-line pass protection?
Its got to do with a lot of things, QB recognizing the blitz, WR cutting off his route and the O-line and RB picking it up.

That both Dak and Cooper do well versus the blitz may indicate that the offense overall is well coached at picking up the blitz...

Did I just compliment the offensive coaching staff...

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Actually he was just predicting your next posts in case of a loss with Dak at the helm.

If they win then it's all Dak of course.

Man this is getting so tiresome. All this bickering should be muted until the play offs begin. Then we'll see what our QB(s) is/are made of.
I've never credit "all Dak" with wins. If anything, I always say it depends on the Oline. Besides, there are only a handful of Dak supporters left on this forum. The overwhelming majority of you are Dak haters. Now you know how the few of us feel with the constant daily bashing towards Dak since last season. Welcome to the club. If I can muster all the hate, no one from the other side should be complaining.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
.....stats are numbers you come up with to be anything you want them to be. Poor Cooper. He is being hailed so high, I hope the fall isn't a crash.

You would think just being a ginger would be enough humiliation for God.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Except for the last sentence that I don’t agree with, good analysts. Though I would argue that Rush processes fast, which is why he doesn’t bother to run. Facts are, that’s the QBs main role, to process quickly and throw, it isn’t to run and make plays. The latter is primarily a reactionary trait as a QB. Great QBs possess the ability to process, with the physical talents. QBs that rely on running, because they don’t profess fast, are never great and they peak. Randall Cunningham was better in ever respect than Dak in terms of throwing as well as running. He still wasn’t a threat to win the SB.

I think focusing on the 49ers/Bronco's blueprint where teams with just sit back on Cover 2/4 knowing that we arent rolling with a running play and decide to challenge Dak's accuracy (as with my much used Jimmie Ward signature). If Dak runs it may improve field coverage, but as you say it'll come down to whether he can can process/progress and have the confidence in his arm to throw to anything other than a wide open receiver.

On balance I think a lot of the issues fall into the last category....receivers are open, though not enough for Dak to comfortably find them...it's like him taking hittable pitches in a vane hope that he gets a wide open receiver (ala HR).

RodeoJake

Reaction score
According to PFF.
Take it for what it's worth.

e064c45f3d4ccdc1ff75db6821f0a97e.jpg

All well and good, but Rush doesn't fill me with as much confidence as he does for some around here. I'd have a heck of a lot more confidence in Dak if he played under center more and followed a similar game plan as Rush.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
All well and good, but Rush doesn't fill me with as much confidence as he does for some around here. I'd have a heck of a lot more confidence in Dak if he played under center more and followed a similar game plan as Rush.

Well i'd agree, but the reason Rush can play this game is that he's got the confidence to once in a while pull out the CeeDee TD, or the pass play on short down to Noah early on in the Bengals game. If you dont make the Defense think you've got that in your pocket then the Offense becomes predictable.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Are we saying Rush is better at handling the blitz than Dak? It's kind of a small sample size for Rush. lol

Dude Dak's passer rating against the blitz last year was in the 100s.. He was so good at it teams basically quit doing it.. Let's not get knotted up with this recency bias stuff.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Everything is always getting twisted.

Rush has the third highest QB rating this year after 3 games against the blitz in the NFL.

That's what it says.

It doesn't say he is better than any QB on that list, or any other QB in the NFL.

Through 6 games last season Dak I am pretty sure Dak had the HIGHEST passer rating against the blitz.. He was so good that teams had to find another way to beat him that didn't involve blitzing. Which turned out to be fake blitz, rush four and drop 7 ... Stacking the line and showing fake blitz gets Dak to audible to a pass and a 3 man pattern against 7 in coverage. Advantage defense..

Hardline

Reaction score
Dude Dak's passer rating against the blitz last year was in the 100s.. He was so good at it teams basically quit doing it.. Let's not get knotted up with this recency bias stuff.
What's his passer rating against cover 2 defenses?

EversonIWasAYoungBoy

Reaction score
Is this just against the blitz or against pressure?

If it’s just against the blitz I would think this is more of the line and Zeke’s ability to pick it up.

I’m not a zeke fan, but he’s one of the best at picking up the blitz

RonnieT24

Reaction score
What's his passer rating against cover 2 defenses?

I don't know.. I have not seen those stats.. What I do know is that his passer rating over the last 10 games of last season was in the mid 90's.. which .. ahem.. is better than what Rush is doing this year.. So Dak's "slump" numbers are better than Rush's "OMG let's make him the starter" numbers..

Just take a moment and allow that to sink in..

Hardline

Reaction score
I don't know.. I have not seen those stats.. What I do know is that his passer rating over the last 10 games of last season was in the mid 90's.. which .. ahem.. is better than what Rush is doing this year.. So Dak's "slump" numbers are better than Rush's "OMG let's make him the starter" numbers..

Just take a moment and allow that to sink in..
You forgot to add the win- loss stat. You can try to talk up Dak as much as you want but the results are as plain as day. We wouldn't have beaten the Bengals with Dak. Maybe he beats the Giants.

FanofJerry

Reaction score
No one wants to put their name on the Trevor Lawrence question. Looks like a found a flaw in the Matrix.

nate dizzle

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Only a traitorous loser with a personal agenda would wish for the team to suddenly start playing bad again with the changing of the guard.
Who said anything about wishing for anything. Try harder. Your name calling is as weak as your strawman.