Twitter: Hill: Linehan and Marinelli get contract extensions

tm1119

Reaction score
We ranked 5th in points allowed last year 19.1 ppg

id say that's pretty damn good

And Somehow that horrendous pass rush we supposedly have had 36 sacks last season, good for 13th in the league and more than the NYG who went out and spent a billion FA dollars to buy their pass rush last year

The defense lacks talent and impact players for sure, but marinelli does a hell of a job getting these guys to play collectively and fly to the ball every sunday

I just question how much of the lack of talent has to do with Rod preferring "his guys" over actual talent. His insistence to use guys like Jack Crawford and Hayden over and over and over again is what kills me. That and his scheme is very limiting and vanilla. I'm tired of passing on talented players in the draft because they are too big, not twitchy enough, etc...his scheme isn't versatile enough to accommodate any kind of "hybrid" player or anyone that doesn't meet a specific criteria he is looking for.

fishspill

Reaction score
In Rod We Trust.

Probably good to do it now. After next season the calls to can one or both might be loud if the season goes south.

slick325

Reaction score
I just question how much of the lack of talent has to do with Rod preferring "his guys" over actual talent. His insistence to use guys like Jack Crawford and Hayden over and over and over again is what kills me. That and his scheme is very limiting and vanilla. I'm tired of passing on talented players in the draft because they are too big, not twitchy enough, etc...his scheme isn't versatile enough to accommodate any kind of "hybrid" player or anyone that doesn't meet a specific criteria he is looking for.

Valid argument tm1119...although I am not against them giving him the extension. I do see your point and have my questions about that very thing as well.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Linehan is surely deserves. His work with Dak cannot be understated. All you had to do is watch the draft video and you could tell how much he wanted Dak.

Marinelli? I get some of the angst among the fan base but considering the talent he has had to work with, he has done an admirable job. I do not think he deserves job stability at this point but I am guessing we are going to make a sizable investment in his scheme during the draft so I get it.

The defense was better than it deserved to be talentwise. We have one star-caliber player in Sean Lee and multiple starters we need to upgrade, including those who left in free agency.

If this year's FA is any indication, though, Marinelli's not going to be given any more to work with unless we do well in the draft and Jaylon Smith turns out to be what we hope he can be.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I get the angst.

But keep in mind if T. McClain had actually played the first two years of his 3 year deal in Dallas Hayden's time would have been shorted by a year.

The same kinda thing with J Crawford... Between Hardy's issues, Lawrence's issues and Gregory's issues... That's what kept J Crawford on the roster for two seasons.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Linehan is surely deserves. His work with Dak cannot be understated. All you had to do is watch the draft video and you could tell how much he wanted Dak.

Marinelli? I get some of the angst among the fan base but considering the talent he has had to work with, he has done an admirable job. I do not think he deserves job stability at this point but I am guessing we are going to make a sizable investment in his scheme during the draft so I get it.

One of my pet peeves with fans complaining about coaches is that they very rarely adjust for the quality of the players when assessing the coaching job getting done. I've mentioned many times John Wooden saying his own best season coaching was on a sub-.500 team. You want to see progression, and you want to see bad players getting better. Marinelli's accomplished both of those things in Dallas. You can also tell from hearing anybody in the organization talk about him that players and staff and administration all love him. He's doing something right.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
I just wonder how much talent it takes to make these "genius" coaches live up to the reputations.

pugilist

Stick N Move
Reaction score
good signings, now if they ever extend the ginger clapping idiot I'll lose my mind

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score

The Cowboys have signed coordinators Scott Linehan, Rod Marinelli and Rich Bisaccia to extensions, according to multiple sources. The Cowboys did not want their coaches to go into 2017 into a lame-duck situation.

Todd Archer, ESPN Staff Writer
----

Whew, that would just be awful if they were "lame ducks".

Doomsday101

Reaction score
One of my pet peeves with fans complaining about coaches is that they very rarely adjust for the quality of the players when assessing the coaching job getting done. I've mentioned many times John Wooden saying his own best season coaching was on a sub-.500 team. You want to see progression, and you want to see bad players getting better. Marinelli's accomplished both of those things in Dallas. You can also tell from hearing anybody in the organization talk about him that players and staff and administration all love him. He's doing something right.

I agree. I think one reason Dallas plays a lot of bend but don't break is because of the lack of talent. Heading into the season some of the critics here said offense would need to score 30 a game to win considering the defense yet that defense ranked 5th in points allowed. People want to see more aggression from the defense well to do that you need talent

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
good signings, now if they ever extend the ginger clapping idiot I'll lose my mind

They're probably lining up the coordinator deals to match Jason's. That way, we can extend them all at once if the team keeps getting better.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I agree. I think one reason Dallas plays a lot of bend but don't break is because of the lack of talent. Heading into the season some of the critics here said offense would need to score 30 a game to win considering the defense yet that defense ranked 5th in points allowed. People want to see more aggression from the defense well to do that you need talent

It was startling how well the defense played in the regular season last year. And equally unsurprising that it came back to bite us in the playoffs. You just have to look where the money and the quality draft picks are getting spent. Factor in that the three highest recent defensive picks have been out of the lineup (Lawrence: back, Gregory: drugs, Jaylon: injury), and it's kind of astonishing we were able to put together the season we did on a defensive points-allowed basis. Like remarkable.

You have to listen to the nickname jokes and the complaints about an extension and shake your head. And I'm not a *huge* fan of Marinelli's. I like him just fine, and think he's a good fit for this staff. I also want to see him put together a defense when given more talented players to see how he really stacks up to the guys I think are the best coordinators in the league. But there's no denying he's done good work with very little so far here in Dallas.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The Cowboys have signed coordinators Scott Linehan, Rod Marinelli and Rich Bisaccia to extensions, according to multiple sources. The Cowboys did not want their coaches to go into 2017 into a lame-duck situation.

Todd Archer, ESPN Staff Writer
----

Whew, that would just be awful if they were "lame ducks".

Hey, by all indications, Jerry's got money to burn baby! He's rolling in it from all of these relocations. So he can afford to throw some at these coaches and still fire them and take the loss without having to think twice about it. No cap on coaching costs.

Cebrin

Reaction score
I get wanting stability, but I'd like to see us actually have a good defense under Marinelli for an entire season before he gets an extension.

You can't coach a turd to tackle. At some point we got to start putting actual talent outside of Sean Lee on that side of the ball. Not to say we don't have a couple of up comers, but our team as a whole is lopsided.