Twitter: Hip drop tackle banned

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
The NFLPA disagrees with you, it’s how players have tackled since football began. The players don’t want it changed, guess you never played defense. Just one more way to handicap the defense. The rule changes keep diluting the game to the point that why even have a D on the field it’s getting to the point where scores will be in the 40s every game.
Shut it, h.s. band player. I was All State two separate years. 1 on offense. The other on defense. YOU probably never played football. You're not taught to tackle that way. YouTube has many videos showing the proper way to tackle. The hip drop is not one of them.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
What do you think would happen to your legs if a 250 pound man threw the entire weight of his body onto the back of them? I think the players who use this technique know exactly what they are trying to do. But that's just my opinion, and I admit I'm being biased because of what happened to Pollard and Dak.
Agreed. They absolutely know what they are doing. Their intent is to injure. Don't let anyone fool you into thinking otherwise. Hip drop is not part of proper tackling.

DannyWestwood

Reaction score
Is it possible for the defensive player to avoid the hip drop tackle and still take the player down based on specific situations, angles, leverage, etc?

I think this is a huge gamble by the NFL. They believe viewers will stick with a game that is limiting the violent aspect that many of us love.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
No, but in some cases the players used it with the intent to injure. Take Pollard, for example. He was destroying the 9ers defense and they resorted to the only effective way to stop him. Dallas had a good chance of winning until that game changing tackle.
What, there's dirty play and players in the NFL????? Horrors! Surely not!

:thumbup:

Brax

Reaction score
Shut it, h.s. band player. I was All State two separate years. 1 on offense. The other on defense. YOU probably never played football. You're not taught to tackle that way. YouTube has many videos showing the proper way to tackle. The hip drop is not one of them.
You know better than the NFL players now. I know you never played ball because all you do is try and insult people. All state what, water boy. LOL.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Coaches definitely taught it. In high school you did whatever you could to tackle your opponent. I must’ve missed the days where coach said don’t hip drop after he taught it to us. Did you play football in Texas?
We definitely were not taught it when I was coming up in the 70's in Florida and we did not teach it when I was coaching kids in the 90's and 2000's. We were ALWAYS taught to hit and wrap. If coming in from the side or from behind you basically try to either grab him around the waist or the legs. We were never taught to grab anywhere at any time because good backs run out of arm (grab) tackles.

eromeopolk

Reaction score

You can't ban Hip Hop. It did not work in the 80's, or 90's. Go ahead and try. Hip Hop Hooray Hey Ho Hey.

Oh Hip Drop. Unless you eliminate all tackling below the waist, that ban ain't gonna work either.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
You know better than the NFL players now. I know you never played ball because all you do is try and insult people. All state what, water boy. LOL.
You're the one who started with the insults, Jack. Little high school band player trying to tell me what tackling is? Pfft. Stick to what you do best. Go play some bocce ball.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
What do you think would happen to your legs if a 250 pound man threw the entire weight of his body onto the back of them? I think the players who use this technique know exactly what they are trying to do. But that's just my opinion, and I admit I'm being biased because of what happened to Pollard and Dak.
I mean it's football. You do whatever it takes to make the tackle. The game is so fast I don't think you're thinking oh I'm gonna hurt this guy. I think you're thinking I need to make a play now and this guy is about to go off on me. I hate when guys get hurt from it but guys also get hurt from non contact injuries. NFL is just butting their head in something that shouldn't be changed IMO. Now it's going to add even more rules to the game. They should be simplifying the game not making it difficult.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Sure. The Clothesline Tackle as well. But, most players aren't trying to hurt other players. But, I have to say I think some are. That was a seriously questionable tackle of Romo by Avril in a preseason game.
Oh I'm sure Avril wanted to put a hit on Romo. These guys hit you so you don't get up. I for sure believe that. But a ACL injury out for next season? I Don't think that's the intent. You don't want a guy to have career ending injury or death on the field.

TrailBlazer

Reaction score
What a disaster this will be. Refs deciding games will be even worse. Fluke 15 yard penalties to decide games.

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
I'm sure teams will figure out a way, maybe just loosen your arms a bit and slid down to their legs, or something like that.

In any case, it's not like players were making hip drop tackles every other play.

Rules change, some aren't quick to catch on. Years ago, while one of my kids was in youth football and the coach was talking about tackling, one of the parents jumped and tried to tell the kids the way to tackle was like he did in school (which was probably 20 years before. Like putting your face directly into the runner's chest. Well of course these days kids are taught, rightly so, to hit with your shoulder pads, so as not to have sprained and broken necks on some skinny kid with a neck like a chicken bone.

Things change....
Guilty as charge, I did wear a neck brace for a week once in HS. You should have seen the other guy!

Last edited:

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
We definitely were not taught it when I was coming up in the 70's in Florida and we did not teach it when I was coaching kids in the 90's and 2000's. We were ALWAYS taught to hit and wrap. If coming in from the side or from behind you basically try to either grab him around the waist or the legs. We were never taught to grab anywhere at any time because good backs run out of arm (grab) tackles.
Bingo!

MarcusRock

Reaction score
No, but in some cases the players used it with the intent to injure. Take Pollard, for example. He was destroying the 9ers defense and they resorted to the only effective way to stop him. Dallas had a good chance of winning until that game changing tackle.
"Destroying" the defense to the tune of 6 rushes for 22 yards and 2 catches for 11 yards. Yep, no exaggeration going on here.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
I mean it's football. You do whatever it takes to make the tackle. The game is so fast I don't think you're thinking oh I'm gonna hurt this guy.
Exactly what a guy who refs stated. You're just trying to get a call right so you don't become the focus. But here, refs realize they've been scarred by the Cowboys since childhood and it's always front and center of everything they do, lol.