Twitter: Hip drop tackle banned

Motorola

Reaction score
No, but in some cases the players used it with the intent to injure. Take Pollard, for example. He was destroying the 9ers defense and they resorted to the only effective way to stop him. Dallas had a good chance of winning until that game changing tackle.
Pollard had only 14 yards on 4 carries before he was injured in that game.

OriginalNameGuy

Reaction score
Good for the game. Players will have to learn proper form instead of this move which has hurt a few players over the years.

Hadenough

Reaction score
Might as well make this flag football. When these RBs and WRs aren't going down and your hanging on for life because you weren't in a good position to make a text book tackle.

Flamma

Reaction score
wonder how this will be enforced in real time, prob in the most nfl way as possible
If they try to ban the hip drop totally, they will obviously get it wrong a lot of the time. If they only make it a penalty when the defender comes into contact with the lower part of the players legs, that's much easier to get right because it's obvious.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This is a good move by the league. That tackle is even more dangerous than the horse collar tackle.

cguy610

Reaction score
The way some of you complain, you would think Aidan Hutchinson would not be able to tackle Dak without this rule.

BrassCowboy

Reaction score
The game today is like a franchise restaurant, it flourishes but way over-produced, not fresh and getting faker by the day.
It really is not as fun to watch anymore

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Yeah the horse collar and the hip drop are both bad techniques. I could see why a player like Roy Williams would use the horse collar because he was so damn strong he could break a ballcarrier in half with one hand. Much as I hated what it did to Roy I recognize and accept that it's better gone from the game. The hip drop is the opposite. It allows a smaller (weaker) player to use his body weight on the legs of the ballcarrier to bring him down. If this rule had been in place in 2020 we might not have lost Dak and in 2022 we might have had Pollard for the whole playoff game. So this is that rare case where a rule change might BENEFIT the Cowboys. Expect it to be repealed within two weeks if it ever helps us win a game.
I wonder what the total cost has been. Everytime I see a tackle like that, I'm waiting for an injury timeout.

BTW, League is definitely getting more friendly now for the scrambling QBs. Seen Dak taken down a lot with these. Always keep thinking he'll get hurt again.

FloridaRob

Reaction score
Players have no idea how to tackle anymore. Can't hit high around neck and head, can't hit low, now you can hit them in the middle but only at a certain angle. Where can you tackle? Let Steve Martin tell exactly where.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
I wonder what the total cost has been. Everytime I see a tackle like that, I'm waiting for an injury timeout.

BTW, League is definitely getting more friendly now for the scrambling QBs. Seen Dak taken down a lot with these. Always keep thinking he'll get hurt again.
See the video of Aidan Hutchinson posted above. He used it multiple times in that game to bring Dak down. The thing I like about this rule is that it makes the game safer for everybody. If nobody uses this tackling method yes stronger guys are going to gain extra yards. But it's not like there is going to be some rule to stop guys from getting stronger or teams from simply drafting stronger people. The horse collar penalized super strength in guys like Roy Williams.. This rule rewards strength which I am all for.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Looking at that tackle it’s looks like it’s going to be difficult to officiate. They’re saying the tackle will have to meet three points of emphasis. It’s going to result in some very costly penalties and possible fines. I would hate to play defense.

plasticman

Reaction score
Only a matter of time when they ban tackling altogether.......

Yes, the sport can be dangerous. It has always been. I played in games where kids got bones broken. Everyone that played the game understood the possibility. It is a physical game.

It's like banning speeding during the Indie 500.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We definitely were not taught it when I was coming up in the 70's in Florida and we did not teach it when I was coaching kids in the 90's and 2000's. We were ALWAYS taught to hit and wrap. If coming in from the side or from behind you basically try to either grab him around the waist or the legs. We were never taught to grab anywhere at any time because good backs run out of arm (grab) tackles.
I was playing a pickup game in 1982 uni of toledo....caught a kickoff started ru ning and someone from behond wrapped up right quick....like you say tied my legs. I told him helluva good ta kle. He says "yeah im on the team". So yes....proper coaching, at least back in the day.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Only a matter of time when they ban tackling altogether.......

Yes, the sport can be dangerous. It has always been. I played in games where kids got bones broken. Everyone that played the game understood the possibility. It is a physical game.

It's like banning speeding during the Indie 500.
KId on our 1982 team got s
A busted spleen.