Hip drop tackles will be a topic of discussion amoung league officials next week

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
At some point I remember It used to be illegal it push the ball carrier from behind, for a first down or TD…I’m not sure whatever happened to that.
Rule was changed in 2015 to allow a ball carrier to be pushed from behind to gain additional yardage.

Flamma

Reaction score
Yeah, big hits are pretty much outlawed now.

Its like the posters that say Diggs should have laid out Kittle when he was bobbling the ball in the 49er playoff game.

Do you guys really think if Diggs would have blown up Kittle on that play that there would not have been a flag?

Pretty much any "big hit" to a receiver draws a flag nowadays, even if there is no contact to the head its is still ruled "hitting a defenseless receiver".
Absolutely. 100% flagged for roughing or whatever they would call it. Most likely a defenseless receiver. The game is soft now.

TexasBoys2288

Reaction score
Where are all the tough guys at that think everything is making the NFL wussified?

Thats right...youre fake and youre a coward.
Pretty much everyone born before 1980 is a tough guy/gal when compared to today. We were not raised by a TV set or computer games. We got out and played sports, raced cars, raised hell and my personal favorite - rode motorcycles like Evel Knievel. Sure, we broke a lot of bones, got knocked senseless every once in a while, and made trips to the hospital on occasion. But we lived life and had a blast doing it.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Yeah, big hits are pretty much outlawed now.

Its like the posters that say Diggs should have laid out Kittle when he was bobbling the ball in the 49er playoff game.

Do you guys really think if Diggs would have blown up Kittle on that play that there would not have been a flag?

Pretty much any "big hit" to a receiver draws a flag nowadays, even if there is no contact to the head its is still ruled "hitting a defenseless receiver".
There is a difference between football tackling and steer wrestling. It's long overdue steer wrestling gets permanently taken out of the game of football.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
I don’t think these tackles are done intentionally. But that’s how Elliot was hurt and Dak and Pollards legs broken.
Dak was a impact break, not falling on the ankle. Dont know about elliot, and pollard had a guy with his arms around his waist,
and he tried to keep running, when he should have just pulled his feet up and go down.
Mahomes had a guy fall or pushed into his leg.
The rb's need to just go down when someone has them by the waist.

If a defender grabs a rb, as he goes by , he is going to hang on and the fall is going to happen.
There is no way to avoid that .

acr731

Jerry learned to GM from Pee Wee Herman
Reaction score
The rb's need to just go down when someone has them by the waist.
RB's shouldn't have to give up just to avoid someone breaking their legs into 5 pieces.

The hip drop technique is designed to do one thing - to injure / maim the opposing athlete. And it works quite well, just ask Dak, Pollard, Mahomes, etc.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
I would argue that its sad Professionals cant figure out how to tackle up high without dropping their hips

Paid all that money, grown man, and you cant figure it out?

No one wants their leg snapped. If a play that increases the frequency of a leg being snapped and that play be removed without messing the game up...you do it.

Defenders should stop tackling up high, especially when trailing from behind. And...if they do...using every ounce of their weight to bring the ball carrier down without using their own legs to prevent an injury to the other player...is kinda barbaric.

There are guys tackling and reaching and pulling for the ball to cause fumbles....but they cant tackle and remember to do something else to prevent injuries? They can only multitask when it suits your argument, right? Convenient

I started playing football in the 7th grade and at every level I was taught to tackle by hitting from the waist down, preferably the hip to thigh area. I'll bet the pros were taught the same thing and now they are going to say that's wrong. The NFL has already embraced flag football with their joke of a Pro Bowl this past season. I would agree that they are moving to a flag football league but the NFL will fold from lack of followers before they could switch to that because of how they keep making changes like this.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
RB's shouldn't have to give up just to avoid someone breaking their legs into 5 pieces.

The hip drop technique is designed to do one thing - to injure / maim the opposing athlete. And it works quite well, just ask Dak, Pollard, Mahomes, etc.
I disagree, and like I already said, that isnt how dak got hurt, that was impact break. Mahomes a player got shoved into him.
on pollard, as he runs by you, you grab him, and his momentum will pull you off your feet, and your falling and holding on.
you have to land on the foot just right to do that ankle turn.And I dont think it is intentional, it all happens very fast.

acr731

Reaction score
I disagree, and like I already said, that isnt how dak got hurt, that was impact break. Mahomes a player got shoved into him.
on pollard, as he runs by you, you grab him, and his momentum will pull you off your feet, and your falling and holding on.
you have to land on the foot just right to do that ankle turn.And I dont think it is intentional, it all happens very fast.
I'm not sure what you are looking at, but I clearly see the 9ers defender launch his weight onto the back of Pollard's leg... and yes, I think it was intentional. The game was essentially over the moment that happened. Eliminating Pollard meant an easier game and I don't doubt for a second that wasn't on the minds of the 9ers defenders. Dak wasn't going to beat them - everyone knew that.

Same thing with Dak's injury - the defender launched himself and landed on Dak's ankle...

You have your opinion, I have mine. We'll just leave it there.

Last edited:

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Mahomes a player got shoved into him.
Just for clarification, your opinion is that a shove contributed to Patrick Mahomes' injury? In my opinion, Orlando Brown applied zero force behind his hands when he laid them on Arden Key's back.

ToaUDm6.gif
RSyNvZc.gif

ceXKIOJ.gif
qBETkt4.gif

Redline360

Reaction score
Now I am one of those who thinks this league has gone soft will all these rules and misses the days of hard smash mouth defense. Don't get me wrong i'm all about player safety in general however I have been saying for the longest time not just on this forum that this type of tackling should have been gone LONG time ago. So many snapped ankles, legs, and tore up knees this way. Majority of these tackles can be avoided if you watch them in slow motion. Its dirty tackle and simple in my book. Of course there will be situations that just happen so fast its not always going to be that simple.

The play that injured Pollard if you watch the slow motion the defender deliberately swung his leg and hips out to drop all his weight at once. He could have easily continued to drive through the tackle with little to no effort.

They won't ban this but they will keep the beyond ridiculous rules that protect the quarterback. Accidently slap the helmet of a QB trying to jump and swat the ball out of the air. Or your hand simply glazes off the helmet trying to make a tackle and god forbid you land with all your weight on the quarterback rushing full speed. He's wearing a FN helmet ffs.

CB0711

Reaction score
The tackle that I have seen…where the Defender grabs the player around the waist then puts all his weight in a downward motion looks barbaric, and I’m surprised all players aren’t injured on that play. Kind of reminds me of the horse collar, but lower.

acr731

Reaction score
Just for clarification, your opinion is that a shove contributed to Patrick Mahomes' injury? In my opinion, Orlando Brown applied zero force behind his hands when he laid them on Arden Key's back.

ToaUDm6.gif
RSyNvZc.gif

ceXKIOJ.gif
qBETkt4.gif
You can also see #49 bring his left knee up and plant his leg on Mahomes' ankle. It looked like an intentional act to me. #49 knew exactly what he was doing.

Last edited:

acr731

Reaction score
The tackle that I have seen…where the Defender grabs the player around the waist then puts all his weight in a downward motion looks barbaric, and I’m surprised all players aren’t injured on that play. Kind of reminds me of the horse collar, but lower.
It's worse than a horse collar in that the defender is throwing his weight onto the back of the legs.

TexasBoys2288

Reaction score

They can break my legs into 5 pieces for 15 million dollars. Put me in coach, I'm ready to play.

DandyDon52

Reaction score

ToaUDm6.gif
RSyNvZc.gif

ceXKIOJ.gif
qBETkt4.gif
well that does look intentional lol. He was looking at where he was landing.
good video display!

players can protect themselves by just getting their feet off the ground and going down. not easy to do, would have to train yourself mentally.