Hip Hop Music Thread

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score
ahhh, we're starting to see repost of project pat...
of all the artist that i was introduced too (kinda, already knew him), I appreciate him possibly the most.
vivid.

Think what makes Pat feel special without the talent is the authenticity to his "stories" and the reason for his unquestioned street cred/royalty. Real stints add legitimacy to his "rap" compared to most trying to embrace that genre and why gang rap is such a dying breed as a result. You don't need street cred for mainstream success anymore. His authenticity comes through by even acknowledging the small time/pettiness of the majority of his crimes committed (taking a charge at 17 but not let in on the crackhouse profits promised by his older partner during his 2 year absence, etc.). You don't want to glamorize that lifestyle, but do want to hear it from the horses mouth instead of "chain swanging" wanna bes.

I think that is what makes him an inner city idol (90's more so) and why he got that people's champ level of respect in all UG rap circles (some mainstream acknowledgment too but not much success in that regard).

Last edited:

kimrose

Reaction score
His Parents are/were educators, If I'm not mistaken.... The route he took was unique. If you ever get a chance watch his "Inside Actors Studio"
Its over an hour, but its worth the listen... intelligent indeed.

hxxps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOUThF2jKo4 (wont embed because of language)

Thank you, Ron. I just watched the whole thing. It was fantastic! I do wish they hadn't have edited out all the stuff they did, though, the movie clips and such, and who knows what. lol. But good grief, this is the most animated I think I have ever seen James Lipton. lol. He loves Dave! And Dave really brought it out in him, didn't he?? lol. And honestly, who the hell doesn't want to spend almost 2 hours with Dave Chappelle, especially after just watching the Cowboys go in the toilet??? I really can't think of a better way to spend my night. Thanks. He was the medicine I needed. I am smiling big. :D

He made me laugh. He made me think. He made me love him even more. <3
:starspin:

RonSpringsdaman20

Hold The Door!
Reaction score
Thank you, Ron. I just watched the whole thing. It was fantastic! I do wish they hadn't have edited out all the stuff they did, though, the movie clips and such, and who knows what. lol. But good grief, this is the most animated I think I have ever seen James Lipton. lol. He loves Dave! And Dave really brought it out in him, didn't he?? lol. And honestly, who the hell doesn't want to spend almost 2 hours with Dave Chappelle, especially after just watching the Cowboys go in the toilet??? I really can't think of a better way to spend my night. Thanks. He was the medicine I needed. I am smiling big. :D

He made me laugh. He made me think. He made me love him even more. <3
:starspin:
Happy You enjoyed. Brings a lot of subtext to what made him, him.... And yes James liked him. So much that he let him host an episode. Im sure that will show up on the side next to the original link.

kimrose

Reaction score
I didn't get to notice the side links. My son was anxious to show me his videos he made on his new drone today and another video, the making of the Rosenrot video by Rammstein, one of my favorite songs and videos, it is German. And it was also awesome. One you might appreciate. They are really tough dudes. Making the video in as cold as 1 degree temps, in the mountains of Europe. Ouch! So tomorrow I will go back and look for that video of Dave hosting Inside The Actor's Studio. I'm sure it will be a trip. lol. Thanks for the heads up. Can't wait. :D

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score
What Year is this Big Star?
Tryna place the similarities flow wise.

97-2000 (DJ Zirk and 2 Thick)

Mostly Criminal Mane, Tini Mane, Primo, Skinny Pimp, and Tom Skee Mask. 8Ball has a track on there to give his support to UG, etc. Skinny Pimp was deftly the biggest name compared to the others.

Last edited:

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score
Same folks doing the production. Always liked Criminal Manne and catchy slow/speed up flow to em.

Last edited:

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score
Some newer(ish) Project Pat (2013 Mix Tape)

"Bare Face Rob Em" Project Pat - Clean Version

Last edited:

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score
Criminal E and Underground Sam 1997
track : "Straighten it out"
- Definitely more sociologically themed (low IQ doesn't accompany stupid behaviors in a lot of circumstances; smart/generally self educated "thugs"). Memphis' version of Goodie Mob out of Decatur/ATL.

Last edited:

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score
That song didn't get much play unfortunately. If it came out 15 years earlier it would have. Crazy that song has been out 5 years now.

I think the reason songs like these don't get much play even with the obv $ backing is the content gets a little "too real" and younger Rap fans (and that is not to say their music is worse; perspective) would prefer songs with the thug aura but w/out having to look at the "other side" of what this means; glamorizing the ghetto/the grind, hustlin, pimpin etc. which have all have various meaning based off of the concept of the song. This is esp true of most mainstream successes who have left behind story telling or "message" songs a long time ago.

Of course this is all subjective on my part admittedly, etc.

Last edited: