Hip Hop Music Thread

kimrose

Reaction score
I was wrong and you're correct that Lord Infamous was DJ Paul's half brother as well. Feel a little ashamed I didn't know that tbh. :D I always knew of Juicy and Pat being related, but didn't know of the other half. So thanks for the schooling Kim:)

This link confirms your initial and correct belief:
http://www.riverfronttimes.com/musi...hes-bringing-his-dead-brothers-casket-on-tour

Now BigStar, you know I could never school you on nothing! lol. I just remember when my son heard he had died, we looked up a bunch of articles about him, trying to figure out how he died. Some of the websites were more underground, but they had a lot of information, they were true 36 fans I guess, and knew a whole lot about them. But, you never know what to believe anymore, so I figured they must have been wrong.

They told how sad it was when he died. He had been sick with a stroke or two and heart problems I think. He was at his mamma's house. His mom and sister (I think, could have been wife maybe?) were going shopping and Ricky (LI) had said he was feeling really tired. They wanted him to go lay down, but he said he was just gonna stay sitting at the kitchen table a little longer and go lay down in a little while. He put his head on the table, and that is where they left him. When they got home an hour or however long later, Ricky was still at the table with his head down. He was dead. That is heartbreaking to me. :(

Yeah, I remember they did that with the casket. An awesome tribute for a fallen founding member, friend and brother. :starspin:

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
Tupac is the best and it's not that close. Smart lyrics that can tell a story or just talk s*** well.

Ice Cube and Rakim are also great. Both Big Boi and Andre from Outcast not far behind.

RonSpringsdaman20

Hold The Door!
Reaction score
Tupac is the best and it's not that close. Smart lyrics that can tell a story or just talk s*** well.

Ice Cube and Rakim are also great. Both Big Boi and Andre from Outcast not far behind.

Opinions....
All Good..
With All respect, this thread has moved so far away from debating....
share the tracks that you like most.

mldardy

Reaction score
Well no. Pac was very good no doubt but his flow was not always the best. So yeah it's not close in that Pac is not close to being the best. One of them, probably?

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
Opinions....
All Good..
With All respect, this thread has moved so far away from debating....
share the tracks that you like most.

There's too many Tupac. But Branda's got a baby, Only God can Judge me, 2pocalypse now...etc.

Ice Cube: Ghetto Bird, Really Doe.

Rakim Peace, Paid in full

kimrose

Reaction score
Not sure this actually fits here, but I'm gonna drop it like a turd anyhow.

I don't know why, but this really reminds me of Justin Timberlake on SNL. :laugh:

I know this is a satire song, lol, but it just goes to prove that with a nice, groovy R&B music set, you can literally sing about anything. :p

Keep posting, Sam. Your videos in this thread are always entertaining, unique, and most welcomed, sir. ;)

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
If it reminds you of Justin Timberlake, then it has the wrong impact. I would never want to abuse people by making them think of him. :thumbdown:

RonSpringsdaman20

Hold The Door!
Reaction score
Totally forgot about this until Large Professor (bow down) spun this at a art gallery I was at 1 week ago....

Ed Just Flexing.. Brooklyn Jam 4sho....

Special Ed
Taxing

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score
Totally forgot about this until Large Professor (bow down) spun this at a art gallery I was at 1 week ago....

Ed Just Flexing.. Brooklyn Jam 4sho....

Special Ed
Taxing

The 90s had such smarter rappers in comparison, esp in home of where it started; NY. I'm definitely guilty of this as well as I've embraced knucklehead gang bangers/cliks too during that time frame while neglecting this type of great music. When it comes to meaningful/intelligent/similes/smooth rap, you definitely have to give it to NY as the tops.

RonSpringsdaman20

Hold The Door!
Reaction score
The 90s had such smarter rappers in comparison, esp in home of where it started; NY. I'm definitely guilty of this as well as I've embraced knucklehead gang bangers/cliks too during that time frame while neglecting this type of great music. When it comes to meaningful/intelligent/similes/smooth rap, you definitely have to give it to NY as the tops.

NY, as wild as it was, had so much access to culture.... So much to learn, and encode to rhyme form (when it was speaking strictly to inner city youths).... From the 5 percenters giving knowlege, to the influence of great artist like Basquiat (who himself was influenced by the street artist, as he was one)..... there was just so much to see and absorb.... NY developed a lot of eloquent poets...

Eventually lowest common denominator caught up to the art as it evolved into popular music (like most pop music)... As far as other states, they encoded for their climates... and most (not all) evolved after the NWA... giving the blueprint of shock value of telling tales of poor inner city youths, which needed to be expressed..... unfortunately, there wasn't much counter balance, and this became the norm of popular rap music instead of the exception.

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score
NY, as wild as it was, had so much access to culture.... So much to learn, and encode to rhyme form (when it was speaking strictly to inner city youths).... From the 5 percenters giving knowlege, to the influence of great artist like Basquiat (who himself was influenced by the street artist, as he was one)..... there was just so much to see and absorb.... NY developed a lot of eloquent poets...

Eventually lowest common denominator caught up to the art as it evolved into popular music (like most pop music)... As far as other states, they encoded for their climates... and most (not all) evolved after the NWA... giving the blueprint of shock value of telling tales of poor inner city youths, which needed to be expressed..... unfortunately, there wasn't much counter balance, and this became the norm of popular rap music instead of the exception.

Been awhile since I've seen that reference (5 percenters;)) and agree about the variety and fundamental access to great artists even outside of the genre. You called it on the South and what I call aggro songs (just how tough you are basically) and then the thug specific tales to that hood/region. Never really gave that influence to NWA for that initially, but you're on point on the time frame this seemed to have occurred around the country. Great post as always Springs

RonSpringsdaman20

Hold The Door!
Reaction score
Been awhile since I've seen that reference (5 percenters;)) and agree about the variety and fundamental access to great artists even outside of the genre. You called it on the South and what I call aggro songs (just how tough you are basically) and then the thug specific tales to that hood/region. Never really gave that influence to NWA for that initially, but you're on point on the time frame this seemed to have occurred around the country. Great post as always Springs

Building on the 5 percenter influence...
A little Brand Nubian

Don't Let It Go To Your Head

All For One

What Goes Around/ 360 (Grand Puba)

Love Me Or Leave Me Alone

Wake Up

cml750

Reaction score
Is hip-hop actually music????:huh: Admittedly, I am an old fuddy-duddy, but I do not see any redeeming qualities in hip-hop music or alternative music. I swore I would not be this way when I got older in my younger days but music was good when I was younger. I actually listen to AM talk radio(a huge insight to my political views) mostly these days but when I do listen to music, I end up listening to classic rock or classic country. I do not care for hardly any of the new age music no matter the genre.

Last edited: