History, Perspective, Take A (two)Deep Breath - One Game

DOUBLE WING

Reaction score
This game was irrelevant to our chances for success this year. Nothing has changed - we can still run the ball, still have an elite o-line and an elite QB if we can keep him upright.

As long as we run the ball and control the clock and keep getting a solid effort from our defense, we'll be playing into late December.

The only thing that can really prevent that is our coaching staff tripping over their own feet.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
Yeah, there's plenty of time to establish yourself legit but for right now you lost to a bad team with a garbage QB at home with a chance to go up a game in the division.

I'm not about to shrug my shoulders about that. That was pathetic.

Agreed, mostly.

I don't know if I'd go as far as pathetic. This type of stuff happens in the NFL.

Dallas was not good, at all, in pretty much all phases of the game except running the ball. Which, as they have been all year, they were pretty much unstoppable at....except by their own play caller of course. But even then that's been a 1 game thing with him so lets hope it doesn't turn into a trend.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
Well we didn't know those teams were championship teams at those certain points either. Especially 92. I wasn't around in 71 or 77 but those were similar cases to 92. There was no championship DNA with either of those teams.

71 team had been to the Superbowl the year before. So, yeah, they had championship DNA in them. At least from the standpoint of they had been there before so they knew what it took to win and get to the big game.

77 was much the same as you had quite a few players from that team that were around for the Superbowl championship of 71 and that had been around for some championship game experience in between (Although they didn't win).

92 that team hadn't had any championship success of any kind. They hadn't played in any NFC Championship games, or Superbowls, so they didn't know anything other than they were a very good, very talented, young team on the rise. In fact if you listen to Michael Irvin talk about the 92 season he recalls that most people were talking about Dallas being a year away before they'd really contend for a Superbowl.

Of course zero of that has anything to do with this team. lol

mldardy

Reaction score
71 team had been to the Superbowl the year before. So, yeah, they had championship DNA in them. At least from the standpoint of they had been there before so they knew what it took to win and get to the big game.

77 was much the same as you had quite a few players from that team that were around for the Superbowl championship of 71 and that had been around for some championship game experience in between (Although they didn't win).

92 that team hadn't had any championship success of any kind. They hadn't played in any NFC Championship games, or Superbowls, so they didn't know anything other than they were a very good, very talented, young team on the rise. In fact if you listen to Michael Irvin talk about the 92 season he recalls that most people were talking about Dallas being a year away before they'd really contend for a Superbowl.

Of course zero of that has anything to do with this team. lol

Yeah that's true. I guess I was basing it on actual winning a championship DNA or at the certain time we lost those games that the OP mentioned did people think that those teams could win a Super Bowl. Also in this current NFL climate you really can't tell who is a Super Bowl contender right now. Give it until mid December at least before declaring us not a Super Bowl contender. Not you but the guy I originally responded to.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
Yeah that's true. I guess I was basing it on actual winning a championship DNA or at the certain time we lost those games that the OP mentioned did people think that those teams could win a Super Bowl. Also in this current NFL climate you really can't tell who is a Super Bowl contender right now. Give it until mid December at least before declaring us not a Super Bowl contender. Not you but the guy I originally responded to.

I hear ya.

In 77 they definitely had a team people believed could win it. In 71 they had a team people favored to win it and believed should win but given their big game losses at the time there were probably quite a few who questioned if they could ever win the big one.

In 92 I'm sure most saw them as a real contender but thought that they were a year away from being the team that you'd point at and say, yep that's the team we think is going to win it.

In fact if I remember correctly most experts thought that San Fran was going to beat us in the NFC Championship game and believed that they were the best team in football.

mldardy

Reaction score
I hear ya.

In 77 they definitely had a team people believed could win it. In 71 they had a team people favored to win it and believed should win but given their big game losses at the time there were probably quite a few who questioned if they could ever win the big one.

In 92 I'm sure most saw them as a real contender but thought that they were a year away from being the team that you'd point at and say, yep that's the team we think is going to win it.

In fact if I remember correctly most experts thought that San Fran was going to beat us in the NFC Championship game and believed that they were the best team in football.
That's cool that you are able to remember those teams in the 70s.
92 is the only one I can remember and I knew we were good and were going to be around for a while but I never thought we would beat San Fran in San Fran. That to me is still my proudest, most satisfying, happiest moment I've ever had as a Cowboys fan. Mainly because I had become a Cowboys fan in the early 80s and suffered thru losing to the Niners and Commanders in those NFCCG and then the downward spiral in the mid to late 80s. Winning that game was so satisfying to exorcise the demons i just wish Montana had played in that game LOL and Haley or someone would have knocked him out of the game.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
I think the positive is that Dallas should have won the game, but the screwy fumbles keep doing this team in and it finally cost them. I think it will be a focus from here on out. Tough to get the point across about protecting the football when a team fumbles it away and still wins the game versus when the team fumbles the ball and it costs them the game.

And outside of the Eagles, I don't think we'll see a lot of the Haslett type of blitzing. I actually think the fix to the problem is fairly easy (adding more blockers more often, having Escobar run more routes and less Beasley. More Dunbar out of the backfield, etc).

It wasn't like the team was dominated or controlled throughout the entire game and lost.

What does concern me is that the pass defense appears to be getting figured out and losing Durant won't help issues any.

YR

VACowboy

Reaction score
This team has a dominant OL. They can run the ball on anybody. That's real and it's not going away. The problem last night was that Linehan seemed to forget this small detail at critical times.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This game was irrelevant to our chances for success this year. Nothing has changed - we can still run the ball, still have an elite o-line and an elite QB if we can keep him upright.

As long as we run the ball and control the clock and keep getting a solid effort from our defense, we'll be playing into late December.

The only thing that can really prevent that is our coaching staff tripping over their own feet.

Irrelevant?

Nonsense. It's one of 16. You need 10 or more to get in. 7-1 increases your chances over 6-2.

Not to mention the fact that it was a division game that could burn you in a tiebreaker.

I'm pretty sure every team will be playing into late December. It's when the playoffs start in January that we're worried about.

Dave_in-NC

Reaction score
Or, they will formulate a way to stop that blitz by screening them until they back up.

It was one game.

Against the team who historically blitzes Romo to no end. Did we make any adjustments for it this game?
I'm not saying the season is over because it isn't, but I lost a little faith in the staff to make adjustments.
They knew this was coming and did nothing even after it started.

rpntex

Reaction score
problem is last night they looked like I think we all thought they would look like. 6-2 and they will end up 8-8 and I truly believe that, this D is that bad

Really? Ths defense gave up 17 points in regulation. That is enough to win 95% of games in the NFL.

Cowboy4ever

Reaction score
Against the team who historically blitzes Romo to no end. Did we make any adjustments for it this game?
I'm not saying the season is over because it isn't, but I lost a little faith in the staff to make adjustments.

And what adjustments did you want the staff to make.. I am sure they told them to block the guys rushing. Other than that, what can the staff do? The QB calls the protections, the QB has to read it and make sure they are in the right play. The WR has to read it and make the adjustment to his route to be hot. The line has to see it and for sure the RB has to hit someone that comes free. There were breakdowns all over the place. Just not the Staff. Maybe they could have called more screens but you can only do that so many times. At some point, everyone has to work together and pick up the blitz. I do not like the fact that we didn't run any more in OT, I would have fed it Murray until they stuffed him and only passed as a last resort. But stupid mental mistakes from our best players, Romo on reading the D, Dez on dropping a TD and Murray fumbles is what cost the game, not the Staff.

DOUBLE WING

Reaction score
Irrelevant?

Nonsense. It's one of 16. You need 10 or more to get in. 7-1 increases your chances over 6-2.

Not to mention the fact that it was a division game that could burn you in a tiebreaker.

I'm pretty sure every team will be playing into late December. It's when the playoffs start in January that we're worried about.

I'm not talking about from a record standpoint. Of course they hurt their playoff chances by losing. What I'm saying is that what I saw last night doesn't change my opinion of how successful the team can be.

dallasdave

Reaction score
1971 - October 17th

Dallas Cowboys @ New Orleans Saints

Final: New Orleans Saints - 24 - - Dallas Cowboys - 14

Regular Season Record:

New - Orleans Saints - 4-8-2

Dallas Cowboys - 11-3

Divisional play-offs: December 25th

Dallas Cowboys 20 - Minnesota Vikings 12

Conference Championship: January 2nd

Dallas Cowboys 14 - San Francisco 49ers 3

Super Bowl: January 16th

Dallas Cowboys 24 Miami Dolphins 3

1971 World Champions: Dallas Cowboys

+++

1977 - November 14th

St. Louis Cardinals @ Dallas Cowboys
Final: St. Louis Cardinals - 24 - - Dallas Cowboys - 17

Regular Season Record:

St. Louisa Cardinals - 7-7

Dallas Cowboys - 12-2

Divisional play-offs: December 26th

Dallas Cowboys 37 - Chicago Bears 7

Conference Championship: January 1st

Dallas Cowboys 23 Minnesota Vikings 6

Super Bowl: January 15th

Dallas Cowboys 27 Denver Broncos 10

1977 World Champions: Dallas Cowboys

+++

1992 - November 15th

Dallas Cowboys @ Los Angeles Rams

FInal: Los Angeles Rams - 27 - - Dallas Cowboys - 23

Regular Season Record:

Los Angeles Rams - 6-10

Dallas Cowboys - 13 - 3

Divisional play-offs: January 10th

Dallas Cowboys 34 - Philadelphia Eagles 10

Dallas Cowboys 30 San Francisco 49ers 20

Dallas Cowboys 52 - Buffalo Bills - 17

1992 World Champions: Dallas Cowboys

+++

1993 - September 6th
Dallas Cowboys vs Washington Commanders

Final: Washington Commanders 38 - Dallas Cowboys 16

Regular Season Record:
Washington Commanders - 4-12
Dallas Cowboys - 12-4

Divisional play-offs: January 16th

Dallas Cowboys 27 Green Bay Packers 17

Conference Championship: January 23rd
Dallas Cowboys 38 San Francisco 49ers 21

Super Bowl: January 30th

Dallas Cowboys - 30 Buffalo Bills 13

1993 World Champions: Dallas Cowboys

+++

1995 - October 1st

Final: Washington Commanders 27 Dallas Cowboys 23

Regular Season Record:

Washington Commanders - 6-10
Dallas Cowboys - 12-4

Divisional Play-offs: January 7th

Dallas Cowboys 30 Philadelphia Eagles 11

Conference Championship: January 14th

Dallas Cowboys 38 Green Bay Packers 27

Super Bowl: January 28th

Dallas Cowboys 27 Pittsburgh Steelers - 17

1995 World Champions: Dallas Cowboys

It's one freakin' game

Keep your eye on the prize

Great stuff and helps put things in
1971 - October 17th

Dallas Cowboys @ New Orleans Saints

Final: New Orleans Saints - 24 - - Dallas Cowboys - 14

Regular Season Record:

New - Orleans Saints - 4-8-2

Dallas Cowboys - 11-3

Divisional play-offs: December 25th

Dallas Cowboys 20 - Minnesota Vikings 12

Conference Championship: January 2nd

Dallas Cowboys 14 - San Francisco 49ers 3

Super Bowl: January 16th

Dallas Cowboys 24 Miami Dolphins 3

1971 World Champions: Dallas Cowboys

+++

1977 - November 14th

St. Louis Cardinals @ Dallas Cowboys
Final: St. Louis Cardinals - 24 - - Dallas Cowboys - 17

Regular Season Record:

St. Louisa Cardinals - 7-7

Dallas Cowboys - 12-2

Divisional play-offs: December 26th

Dallas Cowboys 37 - Chicago Bears 7

Conference Championship: January 1st

Dallas Cowboys 23 Minnesota Vikings 6

Dallas Cowboys 27 Denver Broncos 10

1977 World Champions: Dallas Cowboys

+++

1992 - November 15th

Dallas Cowboys @ Los Angeles Rams

FInal: Los Angeles Rams - 27 - - Dallas Cowboys - 23

Regular Season Record:

Los Angeles Rams - 6-10

Dallas Cowboys - 13 - 3

Divisional play-offs: January 10th

Dallas Cowboys 34 - Philadelphia Eagles 10

Dallas Cowboys 30 San Francisco 49ers 20

Dallas Cowboys 52 - Buffalo Bills - 17

1992 World Champions: Dallas Cowboys

+++

1993 - September 6th

Final: Washington Commanders 38 - Dallas Cowboys 16

Regular Season Record:
Washington Commanders - 4-12
Dallas Cowboys - 12-4

Divisional play-offs: January 16th

Dallas Cowboys 27 Green Bay Packers 17

Conference Championship: January 23rd
Dallas Cowboys 38 San Francisco 49ers 21

Super Bowl: January 30th

Dallas Cowboys - 30 Buffalo Bills 13

1993 World Champions: Dallas Cowboys

+++

1995 - October 1st

Final:
Washington Commanders 27 Dallas Cowboys 23

Regular Season Record:

Washington Commanders - 6-10
Dallas Cowboys - 12-4

Divisional Play-offs: January 7th

Dallas Cowboys 30 Philadelphia Eagles 11

Conference Championship: January 14th

Dallas Cowboys 38 Green Bay Packers 27

Super Bowl: January 28th

Dallas Cowboys 27 Pittsburgh Steelers - 17

1995 World Champions: Dallas Cowboys

It's one freakin' game

Keep your eye on the prize
Good post helps keep the long term goal the main goal. The info is great and helps heal the wound opened last night and even puts a Band-Aid on the wound.

Dave_in-NC

Reaction score
And what adjustments did you want the staff to make.. I am sure they told them to block the guys rushing. Other than that, what can the staff do? The QB calls the protections, the QB has to read it and make sure they are in the right play. The WR has to read it and make the adjustment to his route to be hot. The line has to see it and for sure the RB has to hit someone that comes free. There were breakdowns all over the place. Just not the Staff. Maybe they could have called more screens but you can only do that so many times. At some point, everyone has to work together and pick up the blitz. I do not like the fact that we didn't run any more in OT, I would have fed it Murray until they stuffed him and only passed as a last resort. But stupid mental mistakes from our best players, Romo on reading the D, Dez on dropping a TD and Murray fumbles is what cost the game, not the Staff.

They staff should have prepared the team for what they were going to face. Sure the players need to execute but the coaches need to coach also.
If not make some one a team captain and get rid of the coaches. The Dallas Cowboys as a whole were very un prepared for that game.
It starts with the coaches.

Staubacher

Reaction score

To be fair if Murray doesn't fumble and Dez catches the TD we put up 24-28 points. Not bad against a defense that gives us trouble and certainly enough to win.

Cowboy4ever

Reaction score
They staff should have prepared the team for what they were going to face. Sure the players need to execute but the coaches need to coach also.
If not make some one a team captain and get rid of the coaches. The Dallas Cowboys as a whole were very un prepared for that game.
It starts with the coaches.

I am going to use the words of our Center to disagree:

“There were some different things but things that we were prepared for and things we should have picked up,” he said. “I think it comes down to the whole system. There is not one guy who is really responsible for it. It’s a group thing and we just have to get better. That’s an issue we have to look at tomorrow and see if we come up with it.”

It sounds like they were prepared just didn't execute. I am not saying the staff was flawless, not by a long shot, but they aren't on the field, all they can do is put the players in a position to be successful, its up to the players to make it happen.

It was a bad game by all involved. The players didn't execute, the coaches didn't do as good as they could/should have. Hopefully, they all learn something and come out next week and recapture the mojo.

TheSkaven

Last Man Standing
Reaction score
Deep - you forgot the best counter-example -

November 5, 1989

Dallas Cowboys 13 (1-15)
Washington Commanders 3 (10-6)

It's Cowboys-Commanders. These things happen.