Twitter: Hitchens to KC Chiefs

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
That is a crazy contract for Hitchens. Good solid player, but there are a number of lbs that could fill in for far less.

Agreed. Hitchens is a very good player but not a superstar. The Cowboys can find a replacement over the first three rounds of the draft and pick up a cheap veteran for depth purposes. Most of the time Sean Lee and Jaylon Smith will be the only LB's on the field anyway; I just hope they can stay healthy.

aria

Reaction score
You guys do realize the salary cap has increased something like 30% over the past few years? These contracts that seem high now for certain players will become the norm. Look at Norwell, even for a pro bowler he’s just set the record for a guard. Look at Cousins. Wait until AR. Players aren’t going to get any cheaper. If we hope to improve by not spending a lot of money it better be through the draft or trades.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It’s a matter of degree, he was a JAG+, but not worth retaining at half that price.

He's not a JAG+, or 'superJAG' or whatever those terms are supposed to me. 'Just A Guy' refers to guys you can get off the street, as the name implies. JAGs don't get $27MM deals, and then hit FA again at 28.

Hitchens is an above-average starting quality ILB who can play any position in a pinch. He's a valuable commodity. Market on him would have been a minimum $6-7MM minimum, based on his production already. He got a premium to that because of inflation the Chiefs obviously think his arrow is still pointing up.

It's time to put the stupid mischaracterization of the guy to rest. He's not a backup role player. He's legit.

Doomsay

Reaction score
He's not a JAG+, or 'superJAG' or whatever those terms are supposed to me. 'Just A Guy' refers to guys you can get off the street, as the name implies. JAGs don't get $27MM deals, and then hit FA again at 28.

Hitchens is an above-average starting quality ILB who can play any position in a pinch. He's a valuable commodity. Market on him would have been a minimum $6-7MM minimum, based on his production already. He got a premium to that because of inflation the Chiefs obviously think his arrow is still pointing up.

It's time to put the stupid mischaracterization of the guy to rest. He's not a backup role player. He's legit.
he’s a JAG+ who will get torched in coverage. Wish we could have kept him at a reasonable price = less than half.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

I would call him a "good" linebacker. But a playmaker, a pro bowl type linebacker? Not so much. Definitely not worth 9million per year.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Every player in dallas = average.

When they leave, they are all called elite. Carr, Claiborne, Church, Hitchens etc

LOL.........Yep, and EVERY player on every other team sucks. Yet if the Cowboys sign them, they are the answer to our prayers. LOL

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
he’s a JAG+ who will get torched in coverage. Wish we could have kept him at a reasonable price = less than half.

JAG+ isn't a thing, and if it were, nobody would want them for 3/$27MM. I think your evaluation is off.

And I wish we could keep everybody at a fraction of their market too, but that's not the way it works. Football teams would be easier to build if you didn't have to get paid commensurate with your production.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Church and Carr were at least doable. This is just way too much for a good player that will never reach Pro-Bowl level IMO.

Sad part is you never know. On a good defense with great coaching he could possibly make a pro bowl once possibly. But in Dallas, where the defense is a joke he cant get that berth for his good play. Dallas is the black hole for NFL players.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I would call him a "good" linebacker. But a playmaker, a pro bowl type linebacker? Not so much. Definitely not worth 9million per year.

I agree. I wouldn't have paid the $9MM either. But it sucks that we have a philosophy of starving the defense of talent, letting good players who play multiple positions walk at the age of 25, and don't participate in FA to replace the losses. If guys like Damien Wilson were panning out, it'd be another story, but they aren't. We've got one LB we can count on, assuming he stays healthy right now, and we're going to have to devote half a draft to restocking that position again. It's frustrating.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I agree. I wouldn't have paid the $9MM either. But it sucks that we have a philosophy of starving the defense of talent, letting good players who play multiple positions walk at the age of 25, and don't participate in FA to replace the losses. If guys like Damien Wilson were panning out, it'd be another story, but they aren't. We've got one LB we can count on, assuming he stays healthy right now, and we're going to have to devote half a draft to restocking that position again. It's frustrating.

I agree buddy. This entire franchise is like watching the titanic sink slowly over and over again.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I agree buddy. This entire franchise is like watching the titanic sink slowly over and over again.

We don't agree on everything, but we're on the same page about the defense. I'm so sick of watching us trot out Demarcus Lawrence, a bag of spares, and sometimes Sean Lee if your lucky. Get some damn players who can play, lock up the impact ones, and stop spending premium picks on long shots and trying to cover up holes with other people's trouble children. ******.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score

3rd highest paid player in the league at his position worthy? I don't think so.

Doomsay

Reaction score
JAG+ isn't a thing, and if it were, nobody would want them for 3/$27MM. I think your evaluation is off.

And I wish we could keep everybody at a fraction of their market too, but that's not the way it works. Football teams would be easier to build if you didn't have to get paid commensurate with your production.

Really, tell me Jason sage how it really works? You’ve been supporting Jerry and Jason for the better part of a decade, no need for administering lessons on your behalf.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Really, tell me Jason sage how it really works? You’ve been supporting Jerry and Jason for the better part of a decade, no need for administering lessons on your behalf.

Lol! I don't actually support Jerry, as Jerry's done a lot to hurt this franchise. But that won't stop you from pretending otherwise.

I *do* support Jason and don't back off of that just because guys want to discount everything positive and pretend the issues with the roster are issues with the coach.

But we both know those are attempts to distract from the thread topic. The topic of the thread is Anthony Hitchens, and his $27MM dollars.

A guy many of you thought was a wasted pick before he ever stepped on a field for no reason other than you wanted someone else and felt like complaining.

A guy who even now--when he's signed a deal to be the 3rd highest ILB in the entire league next season--you want to pretend is the equivalent of any player available off the street when he so completely and obviously and extravagantly isn't.