HOF - Cliff Harris in; Drew Pearson not

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Drew's the only player from the All 70's Decade team not in the HOF? BS

And I know I don't need any more reasons to hate Jerry Jones, but he's left these classic cowboys who deserve HOF induction twisting in the wind. If the most powerful owner in all of sports can't lobby on behalf of Drew Pearson , something is very wrong. Jerry can do a LOT more than he's done to get Drew his long overdue yellow jacket starting with withholding media credentials from voters who refuse to put Drew on their ballot.

lurkercowboy

Reaction score
And I know I don't need any more reasons to hate Jerry Jones, but he's left these classic cowboys who deserve HOF induction twisting in the wind. If the most powerful owner in all of sports can't lobby on behalf of Drew Pearson , something is very wrong. Jerry can do a LOT more than he's done to get Drew his long overdue yellow jacket starting with withholding media credentials from voters who refuse to put Drew on their ballot.
Pearson is in the ROH. That is the highest honor Jones can bestow.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Pearson is in the ROH. That is the highest honor Jones can bestow.

Jerry is above all else a salesman. If he got behind this and talked about it as much as he loves to talk, it would raise Drew's profile higher amongst the national media and maybe encourage a few voters to wonder how he's on the all-decade team and not the HOF.

willia451

Reaction score
Drew is not in because he thinks he deserves to be and is very vocal about it.

I think he deserves to be in the HOF as well. Obviously so.

But his insistence and calling "Shame" rubs voters the wrong way. THEY are in charge of if anyone gets in or not. NOT the player, coach, or whomever.

And they are showing him that. It's a matter of ego and control. Just like anything else.

mahoneybill

Reaction score
Thrilled Cliff Harris made it. It’s a crime Drew didn’t. Pearson was a 4 time ALL PRO, 3 times a FIRST TEAMER, was a member of the ALL 70s team, played in 3 SBs, has one ring, and had the iconic “Hail Mary” play. I just don’t get why he’s not a HOFer.

Wow makes all 70"s team, 4 time all pro, undrafted free agent and didn't make it.

mahoneybill

Reaction score
Carmichael
All-Decade 70s (2nd team)
0 AP 1st team All Pro
4 Pro Bowls
12 Top 10 Seasons
0 rings

Pearson
All-Decade 70s (1st team)
3 AP 1st team All Pro
3 Pro Bowls
10 Top 10 Seasons
1 ring

Top 10 Seasons = receptions, yards, or TD

So the difference is 2 more top 10 seasons and 1 more pro bowl vs 3-0 for All Pro and 1st team all decade vs 2nd team , plus 1 SB ring to 0 . Something smells....

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
OH COOL, Bill was obviously one of my favorite players. A bill Bates throw back would be awesome.

I met him at a Cowboy game 2 years ago. He's the nicest guy and fit as a fiddle. He looks like he could lay some wood on special teams even in his 50's.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
Their contemporaries voted Pearson to the All-Pro 1st team three times and Carmichael never.

We're sitting here 40 years after the fact, thinking we know better.

Sure, I get it. But is that the Hall's entire criteria? Don't you start with career numbers and factor in all that other stuff later? I mean, don't get me wrong, I don't think there's a real answer and there's nothing written anywhere that I know of but I would think you'd start with the raw numbers and work your way onward from there. Just saying that I think the raw numbers would favor Carmichael to start that process and then who weights what how is anyone's guess after that.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
Sure, I get it. But is that the Hall's entire criteria? Don't you start with career numbers and factor in all that other stuff later? I mean, don't get me wrong, I don't think there's a real answer and there's nothing written anywhere that I know of but I would think you'd start with the raw numbers and work your way onward from there. Just saying that I think the raw numbers would favor Carmichael to start that process and then who weights what how is anyone's guess after that.
There are no established criteria. It's about winning over enough people in the room.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Jerry is above all else a salesman. If he got behind this and talked about it as much as he loves to talk, it would raise Drew's profile higher amongst the national media and maybe encourage a few voters to wonder how he's on the all-decade team and not the HOF.
That’s the ring of honor though. That’s basically saying he should be in the HOF.

Manster68

Reaction score
Hey! You are either a Hall of Famer or you're not.

This garbage of having to wait years and decades to get in should not be.

A Hall of Famer should stick out to you like a sore thumb while they are playing. They are the ones coordinators are specifically game planning for. Aaron Donald today comes to mind. Derrick Henry is making great strides towards that this season. Luke Kuechly garners HOF attention upon his retirement.

Drew Pearson should have been in the all in 1990.

Your true Hall of Famers are the first ballot ones.

Rayman70

Reaction score
I met him at a Cowboy game 2 years ago. He's the nicest guy and fit as a fiddle. He looks like he could lay some wood on special teams even in his 50's.
wow..cool story man! I would love to meet the guy. I admired his tenacity and versatility. Not to mention he played like 15 years.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Just going to throw this out there since Cliff Harris is getting a lot of attention.

If you're a Boys fan, and especially if you're too young to have watched the 70's dynasty, this is a great book about those years.

It's a fun read for all Cowboys fans. I wish more players from the 90's would write these books, but from everything I hear about the partying on that team, they may have to wait until people die.

tales-from-the-dallas-cowboys-sideline-9781613218907.jpg

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We need to get Drew Pearson in the HOF start Writing , Texting the committee keep pushing on Twitter & Facebook its how I helped
get Jerry Kramer in the Hall with his daughter !
:hammer:

KB1122

Reaction score
The thing that these guys have to overcome is that there's a pretty big backlog of Cowboys players. It could be Drew, but how is Chuck Howley not in the Hall of Fame? Or Ralph Neely? There were only 2 players on the 1970s All-Decade Team who didn't make it. And they were both Cowboys.

Edit: Looking it up, that last bit seems to be inaccurate. But it's not many.

Silverstar

Reaction score

DuncanIso

Reaction score
We need to get Drew Pearson in the HOF start Writing , Texting the committee keep pushing on Twitter & Facebook its how I helped
get Jerry Kramer in the Hall with his daughter !

even ChuckHowley can’t get in.

Good luck with that.