Holding Players Accountable

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score
Penalties, players don’t care and then the coaches don’t care and it continues the next game and game after that. Now that is why we are home.

Aven8

Reaction score
Problem is this isnt a specific player or even position group committing penalties. This is all over the place. It's also poor clock management, not knowing to give the ball to the refs after a QB draw with seconds left, etc.

When people talk about a cultural issue I think this is what the result of that is. Especially when you have a a coaching staff with a DC that is running with their group, a OC that is leading their group, and a vet ST coach that oversees their group the HC is essentially responsible for managing players and culture.

I'm even a guy who has backed MM and still does. It's clear thought that he failed in this area, and ill put more blame on him than the players. Its a cultural thing....its a preparation thing.

Don’t forget that gem to start the 3rd quarter against SF when we committed two back to back presnap penalties at home……..:facepalm:

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
People say penalties are about discipline and I agree when they are presnap. All the other penalties however are caused when you’re just not good enough and you cheat. Connor Williams wasn’t good enough.

I'd like to see that stats on how many sacks/pressures Williams gave up. May just be a guy who'd rather hold than get beat for a sack.
PFF had him ranked 11th G in the league.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
Just like other teams. This notions we are special is a crook, we are no different that any other team out there. This past season I think penalties were way up but the notion no one cares? That is fan talk

I was putting that on the coaches, I know they're saying something but is it enough

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
You don’t need to fine players or make it punitive. Just bench them as soon as mental mistakes are becoming habitual… regardless of salary, position, or longevity. Be consistent. Could be for a series. Could be for multiple games depending on the issues and player.

State to the team, ownership, and media that you will bench players for sub par performance— and then stick to your word no matter who it is— and slowly and surely you will build a culture that respects the game and holds bad performance accountable for the sake of the team.

Right now— egos, salary, and the whims of a senile owner make performance decisions. And the product on the field shows it. Organizations reflect the culture and personality of their leader.

Ladies and Gentlemen I give you your Dallas Cowboys:

Suggestive.gif

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Hey fans, we often complain about problems on this team, these problems seem to haunt us every season. The excessive penalties we commit during games is horrendous and needs to be fixed.

My question is HOW do you fix this? With contracts and owners who may put pressure on coaches not to discipline, how do we fix such a problem?

In order to have a successful 2022 season, someone has to say enough is enough, I don't care who it is_________ can happen to you!! Please give your thoughts.....
you stop the GM/Owner from going to players directly at the slightest sight of disagreement or discord or unhappiness. you stop going into business with them. you stop your close friendship with players as the GM/Owner. you allow the coach to make all football related decisions. who plays. how much they play. what they need to do. you stop going to the sideline. you stop going to locker room after games and give a speech. let coaches manage the players, because that's their job.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
Letting players like Jaylon continue to start when they are obviously a liability sets bad precedence.
I thought that maybe when they finally started phasing him out & ultimately cut bait that maybe they were on the path to making players uncomfortable.
Not sitting Zeke when he clearly wasn't healthy or sitting Dak when he returned but was clearly off may not fall into "accountability" but would show that the decisions are being made based on what the player can \ is doing on the field.
They did bench players like CWill so I can't say they didn't "try".
Honestly, I think the best hope at this point is a player like Micah. Whose performance is good enough that when he speaks no player will even start down the excuses path. If we can get a couple more to join him in calling out issues, we might get back to a team that is afraid to lose.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They benched Williams and had to bring him back in. How are they going to make him more accountable?

OL depth is an issue across the league and the Cowboys might not be able to do any better than Williams and McGovern.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Depends on the penalties. Pre snap are from discipline, so that is on the players and coaching.
During play is mostly on the players, and are usually stupidity from the players. Like a penalty on the opposite side of the field. Or you know you are behind the player, but yet you push them in the back anyway. Again that can be coaching as well as just being stupid. Same for a PI, if you do not turn and look for the ball. How many times have we seen that. How many times has that been posted din a game thread.

Also....and.....:popcorn:.....how many penalties were bogus calls.....:muttley:
Had to post it, just to get the usuals riled up...you know, the refs are always right crowd....:lmao:
Need some off-season humor here.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
……and if you add the fantom and subjective penalties it’s hard to beat good teams. Roughing the passer, taunting, targeting, etc can be be purely subjective and it’s odd that 95% of us know that when these situations arise the Cowboys will predominantly found to be in the wrong…….the other 5% can donate money to the Referees Retirement Fund.

The refs! Oh lawd, the refs! They screw us always except the pre-snap penalties where it's obvious they aren't. And this is in a thread about holding players accountable to boot. Lol.

And it's phantom, not "fantom." Fantom is fandom of the Fanta girls as seen here so I get the slip. Lol.

glimmerman

Reaction score
Smith, Martin and Collins all healthy for the playoffs. And meh.

Not bums. I put it on coaching, Philbin at least, maybe Moore, and Nate agrees. Said they had them play passively to disguise run/pass. Waste of talent. Like Pollard.
These players have been coached to be aggressive blockers. Power blocking. This guy is changing the scheme to disguise run and pass is bs. Man block and run behind it. They were sending 4 rushers. This O-Line and RBs should have been eating there lunch. I am watching 2 line men blocking one rusher leaving a hole for the linebacker to dance through and wait for Elliot. They were moon walking into the backfield and waiting for the handoff. Blocking and scheme was a joke. Guy needs to go. They can’t execute the scheme and hold when beaten. The 49ers said after the game they knew when we were going to run because it’s the only time Moore used presnap motion. It’s the second time he got caught using a tell. First time was when he was using the same hand signals he used in college..

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
There is not much accountability on the team.
It's part of our dysfunctional culture.
It's all about entertainment, not winning.
Have to disagree being the Chiefs were the most penalized (137) franchise in 2018 & made it to the Superbowl.

By far a dysfunctional culture for KC.

kskboys

Reaction score
They benched Williams and had to bring him back in. How are they going to make him more accountable?

OL depth is an issue across the league and the Cowboys might not be able to do any better than Williams and McGovern.
It's an issue because it's now a passing league and pass blocking is much harder and takes a lot more out of you than run blocking. OL's are being asked to hold their blocks longer than ever.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hey fans, we often complain about problems on this team, these problems seem to haunt us every season. The excessive penalties we commit during games is horrendous and needs to be fixed.

My question is HOW do you fix this? With contracts and owners who may put pressure on coaches not to discipline, how do we fix such a problem?

In order to have a successful 2022 season, someone has to say enough is enough, I don't care who it is_________ can happen to you!! Please give your thoughts.....
Coogs, it’s very hard to hold anyone accountable in this organization. Because no one at the top is accountable for failure, it makes having any accountability anywhere in the organization extremely difficult. It’s organizational health 101- you want to make employees accountable? That starts with leadership at the top.