Holding Players Accountable

fivetwos

Reaction score
you stop the GM/Owner from going to players directly at the slightest sight of disagreement or discord or unhappiness. you stop going into business with them. you stop your close friendship with players as the GM/Owner. you allow the coach to make all football related decisions. who plays. how much they play. what they need to do. you stop going to the sideline. you stop going to locker room after games and give a speech. let coaches manage the players, because that's their job.
One of the few things that hasn't slipped out of Jerry's mouth has been his desire to coach the team (although the next five years of his yapping ought to get interesting).

He figures he can have a DC and OC and the other guy is just a scapegoat.

I really don't think Sean Payton would agree to that set up, and just maybe when Jerry steps back a bit they give a little more control to someone he trusts.

That's my current blind faith anyway.

75boyz

Reaction score
The 3 highest chain of command members of these dysfunctional Cowboys are the culture setters.
GM, HC and QB.

All 3 are failing at both accountability AND their regular jobs.

The rest of the team falls in line with the examples these 3 are setting.

And another year fades away.

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score
Draft players that are disciplined and football smart. Sign FAs that are the same. We don't have many that fall in this category.

This is the best solution on this matter.. You acquire players whether through draft or FA who have self pride, hard workers, learn from their mistakes, and desire to beat the man in front of them...and above all else, football smart. That way you don't have to babysit them or get on them every time they screw up and do the same freaking mistakes over and over. Not to belittle the point, but the 90's line was generally not highly drafted or considered highly talented, but each one of them was hard nosed, nasty, and had the desire to want to beat the man in front. That made most of them Pro Bowlers when it was an honor to be in the Pro Bowl. Right now we have a wimpy OL. Fits the culture at the moment.

Dre11

Reaction score
People always says it's coaching,
McCarthy didn't have these penalty issues in Green Bay. It's about the players.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
Lol.. you know this how? You have no idea what done behind closed door. You don't know what fines are given or what they do to punish players for mistakes.
My Friend, I have been observing this Team for the last 26 years and the results of this culture are as plain as the nose on your face.

Dre11

Reaction score
My Friend, I have been observing this Team for the last 26 years and the results of this culture are as plain as the nose on your face.

That's doesn't mean it's accountability issues. The team hasn't gotten to the championship game, but it's not like all the saeaons for 26 years were bad. Nobody knows why they haven't broke through, but it could simply be that they have gotten the right group of players together to break through.

ShortRound

Reaction score
Hey fans, we often complain about problems on this team, these problems seem to haunt us every season. The excessive penalties we commit during games is horrendous and needs to be fixed.

My question is HOW do you fix this? With contracts and owners who may put pressure on coaches not to discipline, how do we fix such a problem?

In order to have a successful 2022 season, someone has to say enough is enough, I don't care who it is_________ can happen to you!! Please give your thoughts.....

Zeke was on the field hurt, even though it was obvious that Pollard was playing better.
Until Jerry stops calling the shots based on payroll and actual play on the field (Let the coaches make the calls) we're doomed.

We have no accountability.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
That's doesn't mean it's accountability issues. The team hasn't gotten to the championship game, but it's not like all the saeaons for 26 years were bad. Nobody knows why they haven't broke through, but it could simply be that they have gotten the right group of players together to break through.
Thanks for sharing your perspective.
Bottom line, we all can only therorize on what this teams problems are.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The pre-snap penalties are not on coaching but some of the holding calls are because protecting the QB against injury or a strip sack is better than losing 15 yards.

What did we used to see when a player got a penalty? Off to the sideline for at least a play but that was when teams had deeper OL's and could rotate. Now, they can take the chance the backup OL can't protect the QB.

Williams catches a lot of heat and if they were going to make him a project player, they should have had a better OLC for him. He has gotten stronger with that coach but he hasn't gotten better with his OLC.

Biadasz should be thankful that Williams draws so much attention because he's inconsistent with his primary job, getting the ball to the QB in the same place every time so he can keep his eyes on the receivers. Just that short period of time the QB has to look at the ball is valuable time lost downfield.

I would like to know two things about coaching on the offense. How much time do they spend in a hike drill with Biadasz to get consistency and dependability? It's not enough.

And the second thing is how much time do they spend with the QB/WR's with the crossers and slant because the QB could use some skills honing on that, just like his predecessor. Maybe they could take some time form the come back's that do nothing for YAC and spend more time with patterns headed down the field?

What are the odds that this QB and the one before him would have the same exact weakness to their game? Throwing behind WR's on crossers/slants.

MapleLeaf

Maple Leaf
Reaction score
People say penalties are about discipline and I agree when they are presnap. All the other penalties however are caused when you’re just not good enough and you cheat. Connor Williams wasn’t good enough.

I agree when penalties are part of the competition that creates the advantage.

But Dallas was in the top of the league in pre-snap penalties.

We had situational errors that caused us to be on the wrong side of timeouts, and play outcomes.

This year shows that something was wrong in the week to week approach the team took. We were rolling on teams early in the season who were just getting started, but when the league got up to speed our team started losing traction - even thought we were relatively healthy.

You could not have written a better script for the team. Players injured early coming back later in the season. A weak division to beat the snot out of. Talented roster up and down. A fantastic practice facility, a great stadium.

What are we suppose to expect? What happened this year?

We love this team as fans, but you have to admit this was a poor season. It was well below, not only the standards of someone with rose-coloured fandom glasses, but any other impartial fan would have said there is something wrong with your team.

MapleLeaf

Maple Leaf
Reaction score
This offseason I am ready for a new experiment.

A new level of mgmt in the organization called a GM where the players don't sign their contracts in front of Jerry or Stephen.

In fact, they don't even get to see the owner or his family. Their entire loyalty to is dedicated to a staff member who could be bounced at any minute just like them.

If you wanted an accountability model how's that for size? Everyone is bounced out once you don't meet the minimum bar for football excellence.

Just my two cents for 2022.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
One of the few things that hasn't slipped out of Jerry's mouth has been his desire to coach the team (although the next five years of his yapping ought to get interesting).

He figures he can have a DC and OC and the other guy is just a scapegoat.

I really don't think Sean Payton would agree to that set up, and just maybe when Jerry steps back a bit they give a little more control to someone he trusts.

That's my current blind faith anyway.
Payton May agree, but it would take a huge pay check and it would be for money reasons only. Jerry ran Parcells out of town. he runs everyone worth their dollar out of town

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
The 49ers said after the game they knew when we were going to run because it’s the only time Moore used presnap motion. It’s the second time he got caught using a tell. First time was when he was using the same hand signals he used in college..

Nice facts. Didn't remember hearing either.

kskboys

Reaction score
This is the best solution on this matter.. You acquire players whether through draft or FA who have self pride, hard workers, learn from their mistakes, and desire to beat the man in front of them...and above all else, football smart. That way you don't have to babysit them or get on them every time they screw up and do the same freaking mistakes over and over. Not to belittle the point, but the 90's line was generally not highly drafted or considered highly talented, but each one of them was hard nosed, nasty, and had the desire to want to beat the man in front. That made most of them Pro Bowlers when it was an honor to be in the Pro Bowl. Right now we have a wimpy OL. Fits the culture at the moment.
They were considered highly talented.

eromeopolk

Reaction score
Hey fans, we often complain about problems on this team, these problems seem to haunt us every season. The excessive penalties we commit during games is horrendous and needs to be fixed.

My question is HOW do you fix this? With contracts and owners who may put pressure on coaches not to discipline, how do we fix such a problem?

In order to have a successful 2022 season, someone has to say enough is enough, I don't care who it is_________ can happen to you!! Please give your thoughts.....
The person that is supposed to hold players accountable on a football team is call the Head Coach. Cowboys have not had a Head Coach since the real Head Coach (Jerry Jones) ran Bill Parcells out of Dallas. Prior to that they only had 2 Head Coaches named Tom Landry and Jimmy Johnson.

Players will and can never be held accountable by the GM and President of the team. Even Al Davis was smart enough to hire Head Coaches and let them be the HEAD coach (see Madden, Gruden, Flores, and Shell). Their tenures would not last because of Al but the players knew on the field the HC was not Al Davis. Just win baby!

plymkr

Reaction score
That's fine but the penalties at bad moments during games, it's like nobody cares
Kind of like in the playoffs when our defense needs a stop in order to give our offense one last grasp and Randy Gregory just tackles an offensive lineman for no reason. That type of undisciplined play costs us games.

But it's cool to the Cowboys. Jerry is making money and Gregory social media is active. That's the bottom line for this generation of Cowboys.