Hollywood Henderson Celebrates 40 Years of Sobriety

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
His two books, Out Of Control and In Control, are great reads. Henderson was really in the pits of addiction, and the likelihood of emerging from a hole that deep is not high. It took a lot of strength and commitment to be able to enter recovery and remain there. The jail stint really helped straighten him out. Good on him.
Exactly, I read both of those books. Still have them in my library.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
The man had coke in his pants during the Super Bowl!
He actually had it in a Vicks inhaler. He emptied the Vicks stuff and put cocaine inside and sniffed it on the sidelines telling others it was just for a cold he said he had.

ologan

Reaction score
This is a great article on Thomas Henderson. I highly encourage everyone to read the entire piece. He talks about many things including Richard Pryor, befriending notorious Charles Manson “family” member Charles “Tex” Watson in prison and dating Anita Pointer of the Pointer Sisters!

Hollywood Henderson Celebrates 40 Years of Sobriety With Harrowing Tales, and Some Funny Ones With Richard Pryor, Too​

Thomas 'Hollywood' Henderson's cocaine- and alcohol-fueled binges cost him his NFL career, and he didn't expect to live to 40; instead he literally won the lottery

Published 11/16/23
Christian Red

The answer to the question is delivered in the third person.

“Thomas Henderson is doing fine,” the former Dallas Cowboys linebacker nicknamed “Hollywood” told The Messenger in a recent phone interview from his Florida home, which coincided with his 40th anniversary of sobriety.

Henderson, 70 now, says he is 30 years older than the age he thought he would reach before death.

“I am positive I wouldn’t have made 40-years-old at the rate of my addiction,” said Henderson. “Whenever I reach an anniversary, I really count the days after that, because I have to be reminded that recovery from drug abuse, from alcohol abuse, is a one-day-at-a-time …”

He pauses, and doesn’t provide an end to the sentence. Those references to substance abuse hark back to the Hollywood Henderson era of hard living, a stretch that includes his professional football playing days as a member of “America’s Team,” the Dallas Cowboys.

Read here: https://themessenger.com/sports/hol...ryor?utm_source=onsite&utm_medium=latest_news

Hollywood Henderson was fired by the Dallas Cowboys and
spent 28 months in prison before he got sober. He still is.
Proud of you, Thomas. I’m 10 months and 20 days behind you, but who’s counting!

bigE79

Reaction score
This is a great article on Thomas Henderson. I highly encourage everyone to read the entire piece. He talks about many things including Richard Pryor, befriending notorious Charles Manson “family” member Charles “Tex” Watson in prison and dating Anita Pointer of the Pointer Sisters!

Hollywood Henderson Celebrates 40 Years of Sobriety With Harrowing Tales, and Some Funny Ones With Richard Pryor, Too​

Thomas 'Hollywood' Henderson's cocaine- and alcohol-fueled binges cost him his NFL career, and he didn't expect to live to 40; instead he literally won the lottery

Published 11/16/23
Christian Red

“Thomas Henderson is doing fine,” the former Dallas Cowboys linebacker nicknamed “Hollywood” told The Messenger in a recent phone interview from his Florida home, which coincided with his 40th anniversary of sobriety.

Henderson, 70 now, says he is 30 years older than the age he thought he would reach before death.

“I am positive I wouldn’t have made 40-years-old at the rate of my addiction,” said Henderson. “Whenever I reach an anniversary, I really count the days after that, because I have to be reminded that recovery from drug abuse, from alcohol abuse, is a one-day-at-a-time …”

He pauses, and doesn’t provide an end to the sentence. Those references to substance abuse hark back to the Hollywood Henderson era of hard living, a stretch that includes his professional football playing days as a member of “America’s Team,” the Dallas Cowboys.

Read here: https://themessenger.com/sports/hol...ryor?utm_source=onsite&utm_medium=latest_news

Damn,what could have been a hof career flushed right down the drain..I still remember him mugging for the camera when we were getting killed by the red skins,I believe Coach cut him the following week... very sad..but very happy he's doing good,still one of my favorites regardless.

eromeopolk

Reaction score

Published 11/16/23
Christian Red

40 years sober and winning the lottery twice while sober. God's Plan.

ArtClink

Reaction score

Published 11/16/23
Christian Red

I love HH warts and all. What an amazing ride of ups and downs. I will forever remember his KO return to start Super Bowl X! Returned it past midfield and Steeler nation was shocked! We were the wc team to appear in a SB, the dirty dozen rookies!! What a great time to be a Cowboys fan!!

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score

Published 11/16/23
Christian Red

Congratulations !

Glad he got and stayed clean!

Loved how he would spike the ball over the goal post after an interception return for a TD.

NorthoftheRedRiver

Reaction score
I remember his play and all that team drama when it went bad for him. I'm very glad to hear that he straightened his life out. Well done, sir.

SFloridaCowboy

Reaction score
Lawrence Taylor loved his number 56 and took a set for himself.
He returned kickoffs as a rookie, as he had 9.5 speed in the 100.

He used to rebel against Tom Landry's rigid defense schemes and free lance on his own and make tackles no one else could make.

He was not your typical underprivileged Black kid back then raised by a mother. He had a good family, both parents and he was a good student, even in college. He had the most athletic ability at LB until Micah came.

I will always remember the NFC playoff game on the road against the Rams, a close low scoring game, when Hollywood picked off Vince Ferragamo and took it to the house and dunked the ball over the crossbar!!!! Wow!!!!!! He broke the game open.

TexasBoys2288

Reaction score
Won 28 million in the lottery in 2000. I think he started a charity with it

Id like to see Scorsese do a bio pic on him before he retires or dies
I'm pretty sure he won the lottery twice. I may be wrong, but I think it was him trying to evade the cops in Austin, exited the interstate and actually pulled into the Police station parking garage.

BoysForLife

Reaction score
Grace of God

Not saying this to be funny or judgemental but by rights this guy should have been dead decades ago. He would probably say the same thing if you asked him

He's literally a walking miracle. Never give up. I'm glad he's sharing his testimony and experiences to try and help others