Hollywood Henderson Celebrates 40 Years of Sobriety

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Lawrence Taylor loved his number 56 and took a set for himself.
He returned kickoffs as a rookie, as he had 9.5 speed in the 100.

He used to rebel against Tom Landry's rigid defense schemes and free lance on his own and make tackles no one else could make.

He was not your typical underprivileged Black kid back then raised by a mother. He had a good family, both parents and he was a good student, even in college. He had the most athletic ability at LB until Micah came.

I will always remember the NFC playoff game on the road against the Rams, a close low scoring game, when Hollywood picked off Vince Ferragamo and took it to the house and dunked the ball over the crossbar!!!! Wow!!!!!! He broke the game open.
9.5 speed in the 100 would be faster than Usain Bolt. I don’t think so. Not even close.

shabazz

Reaction score
A member of the Dallas Cowboys' Super Bowl teams in 1976, 1978 and 1979, Henderson pleaded no contest to four charges stemming from a November abduction and sexual assault on a 17-year-old quadriplegic and her 15-year-old girlfriend. He also pleaded no contest to charges he offered the girls $10,000 to testify he had not molested them.

wow…….how soon we forget. They were Children for Gods sake.

Staubacher

Reaction score
A member of the Dallas Cowboys' Super Bowl teams in 1976, 1978 and 1979, Henderson pleaded no contest to four charges stemming from a November abduction and sexual assault on a 17-year-old quadriplegic and her 15-year-old girlfriend. He also pleaded no contest to charges he offered the girls $10,000 to testify he had not molested them.

wow…….how soon we forget. They were Children for Gods sake.
He should still be in jail for that

Beaker42

Reaction score
This is a great article on Thomas Henderson. I highly encourage everyone to read the entire piece. He talks about many things including Richard Pryor, befriending notorious Charles Manson “family” member Charles “Tex” Watson in prison and dating Anita Pointer of the Pointer Sisters!

Hollywood Henderson Celebrates 40 Years of Sobriety With Harrowing Tales, and Some Funny Ones With Richard Pryor, Too​

Thomas 'Hollywood' Henderson's cocaine- and alcohol-fueled binges cost him his NFL career, and he didn't expect to live to 40; instead he literally won the lottery

Published 11/16/23
Christian Red

The answer to the question is delivered in the third person.

“Thomas Henderson is doing fine,” the former Dallas Cowboys linebacker nicknamed “Hollywood” told The Messenger in a recent phone interview from his Florida home, which coincided with his 40th anniversary of sobriety.

Henderson, 70 now, says he is 30 years older than the age he thought he would reach before death.

“I am positive I wouldn’t have made 40-years-old at the rate of my addiction,” said Henderson. “Whenever I reach an anniversary, I really count the days after that, because I have to be reminded that recovery from drug abuse, from alcohol abuse, is a one-day-at-a-time …”

He pauses, and doesn’t provide an end to the sentence. Those references to substance abuse hark back to the Hollywood Henderson era of hard living, a stretch that includes his professional football playing days as a member of “America’s Team,” the Dallas Cowboys.

Read here: https://themessenger.com/sports/hol...ryor?utm_source=onsite&utm_medium=latest_news

Hollywood Henderson was fired by the Dallas Cowboys and
spent 28 months in prison before he got sober. He still is.
Way to go, Hollywood!!! So proud of you.

:starspin::thumbup::starspin:

gtb1943

Reaction score
Hollywood and Duane Thomas
Two players who could have been HOF
Hollywood especially; could have been LT before LT

cowboyed

Reaction score
Henderson always seemed to have a rabbit's foot. The guy won a $28 million dollar Texas lottery when he was still football playing eligible.

Boyzmamacita

CowBabe Up!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It was November 19, 1979 when Landry cut him. I remember because it was my birthday then and it's my birthday now. I was 17 and cried like a baby because I liked Hollywood that much. I didn't understand addiction. I thought Landry was being mean. In retrospect, Landry cutting him may have been the first step to saving his life, although Hollywood didn't know it at the time. I'm glad they reconciled years later and I'm glad that Hollywood is still with us. God bless him.

As far as the child molestation, I hope those girls went on to have productive lives and I'm sorry that drugs had such a demonic effect on Hollywood. The good thing is he is dedicating his life to help others overcome it.

shabazz

Reaction score
As far as the child molestation, I hope those girls went on to have productive lives and I'm sorry that drugs had such a demonic effect on Hollywood.
Tens of millions of people are using Illegal drugs everyday without sexually abusing children.

Funny how some people give him a pass because he’s an ex-football player.

Hes a scumbag and destroyed the lives of children. Shame on anybody excusing it on drugs or alcohol

I wonder how “forgiving” these same people would be if it was THEIR daughters……

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Tens of millions of people are using Illegal drugs everyday without sexually abusing children.

Hes a scumbag and destroyed the lives of children. Shame on anybody excusing it on drugs or alcohol

I guess I missed that one. Didn't realize he was accused of that. Only one I remembered from late 70's, early 80's with some serious accusations was Rafael Septien.

Staubacher

Reaction score
It was November 19, 1979 when Landry cut him. I remember because it was my birthday then and it's my birthday now. I was 17 and cried like a baby because I liked Hollywood that much. I didn't understand addiction. I thought Landry was being mean. In retrospect, Landry cutting him may have been the first step to saving his life, although Hollywood didn't know it at the time. I'm glad they reconciled years later and I'm glad that Hollywood is still with us. God bless him.

As far as the child molestation, I hope those girls went on to have productive lives and I'm sorry that drugs had such a demonic effect on Hollywood. The good thing is he is dedicating his life to help others overcome it.
Most molested children struggle for the rest of their lives. But yeah hurray for Hollywood

erod

Reaction score
Henderson always seemed to have a rabbit's foot. The guy won a $28 million dollar Texas lottery when he was still football playing eligible.
He won the lottery TWICE.

Which begs the question, how much did he spend playing the lottery?

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Wasnt it Dean Martin that said he felt sorry for people that dont drink? Something about where those people wake up, thats as good as they will feel all day. lol

Always has to be in moderation under control though.

Boyzmamacita

CowBabe Up!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I never mentioned forgiveness.