Honestly who's upset with the NT and Safety position

waving monkey

Reaction score
I know a lot of members on here kept preaching how this could finally be the year these 2 positions would be addressed and of course we got nothing. Yeah, don't consider a 6th rounder in a weak draft a solution either. Who here is still furious over this?
maybe they accomplished the safety void by drafting long CB to convert to safety

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Moehrig was simply the best of a very average rookie class of safeties. It's not like the Cowboys missed out on Darren Woodson by not getting him.
So that's what my opinion is.....I'd rather go into next years draft looking for FS and DT than this one.....I did not like this draft at all for those positions....I liked Moehrig because he represented value in the 2nd round but he was not a elite safety by any means and to me he doesn't have the ceiling of one either.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
For me to have address safety or DT....I needed to know if what I'm drafting is better than what I currently have? And if Kazee is healthy.....I don't sees the point in wasting a 2nd rounder on Moehrig.

btcutter

Reaction score
So you’re not even willing to give this picks a chance? Damn that’s pretty dumb.

Perhaps I am just not as optimistic as you to depend on a 6th round pick who’s chances of making this team based on statistics is less than 50% at best let alone become a significant contributor to the D. I’ll be ecstatic if I am proven wrong.

Turk

Reaction score
I disagree. They never looked. Dontario Poe was the first +320 I remember signed as a FA. The Landry Flex, Jimmy Johnson Attack 4-3, Parcells 3-4, Phillips 3-4, and Tampa 2 never called for big +320 pound DTs.

If that is what you want, fat tree trunk guys, they are not hard to find. Remember Vince Wolfork, Shaun Rodgers, Poe, were a freak athletes that just happen to be +320. Remember Ratliff, Hatcher, Canty, and Spears were all 285-310 on 6-4 to 6-6 frames out of College. Tony Casillas and Chad Hennings were not +320 pound run stoppers.

Name me the +320 DT on the Legion of Boom? Nobody, closest was Red Bryant and he was a freak athlete 6-4-318 pounds running a 4.90 40yd time.
It is easier and simpler to find big trashcans full of dirt. You can have two or three of them at the same expense of one of those elite guys and they will get the job done.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Perhaps I am just not as optimistic as you to depend on a 6th round pick who’s chances of making this team based on statistics is less than 50% at best let alone become a significant contributor to the D. I’ll be ecstatic if I am proven wrong.
Dude every team has 6th round picks. I guess the draft should stop at five the way you think.

John813

Reaction score
A big NT plugger is a dying breed. The ones that can be fat eat blocks and actually disrupt things are taken way higher.
Vea Vita was the last big heavy that was supposed to be a force and not a plug and he went in the 1st.

We drafted a nt, signed Urban and brought back Woods.

Safety they actually signed a ballhawk with a catch, he got injured last year.

Turk

Reaction score
A big NT plugger is a dying breed. The ones that can be fat eat blocks and actually disrupt things are taken way higher.
Vea Vita was the last big heavy that was supposed to be a force and not a plug and he went in the 1st.

We drafted a nt, signed Urban and brought back Woods.

Safety they actually signed a ballhawk with a catch, he got injured last year.
wrong. Everyone is so in love with pass rush that guys like Bohannon are dropped way down from where they would have been say 10-15 years ago.

kskboys

Reaction score
I disagree. They never looked. Dontario Poe was the first +320 I remember signed as a FA. The Landry Flex, Jimmy Johnson Attack 4-3, Parcells 3-4, Phillips 3-4, and Tampa 2 never called for big +320 pound DTs.

If that is what you want, fat tree trunk guys, they are not hard to find. Remember Vince Wolfork, Shaun Rodgers, Poe, were a freak athletes that just happen to be +320. Remember Ratliff, Hatcher, Canty, and Spears were all 285-310 on 6-4 to 6-6 frames out of College. Tony Casillas and Chad Hennings were not +320 pound run stoppers.

Name me the +320 DT on the Legion of Boom? Nobody, closest was Red Bryant and he was a freak athlete 6-4-318 pounds running a 4.90 40yd time.
Jesse Williams 325
Bryant 323
Mebane 311

I'm really not understanding your obsession w/ the exact weight of 320.

btcutter

Reaction score
Dude every team has 6th round picks. I guess the draft should stop at five the way you think.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/dal/draft.htm

History will teach you that overwhelming majority of players picked after 5th round don’t stick around the league very long. Even fewer makes any impact in their 1st year. There will always be the exceptions and every team will continue to hope they catch lightning in a bottle.

You may not know that the draft used to be 12 rounds until 1993 then reduced to 7 rounds since.

btcutter

Reaction score

NFL Draft hit rate by Round
Round 1 Hit Rate
  • Round 1: 55%
  • Round 2: 51%
  • Round 3: 38%
  • Round 4: 29%
  • Round 5: 29%
  • Round 6: 19%
  • Round 7: 14%

cowboyec

Reaction score
i'm only upset with my self for actually thinking they would draft a safety when i knew damn well they wouldn't.
i love the DT picks.
osa,ucla...long *** arms and a motor that has no off switch...strong as hell...this bruin squated 717lbs.
bohanna,ky...big *** grizzly that eats running backs and can penetrate.

but stephen seems to have 1 or 2 safety targets.
if they go off the board...he shuts that idea and we'll try her again next year.
just wish he understood there are more than just 1 or 2 in every draft.

cowboyec

Reaction score
As long as we stay injury free i like pairing of kazee and donovan wilson at safety. At 1T they beefed up with bohannon who will be the biggest d lineman in the room day 1. I expect him to split time with a woods from the jump
correct on both accounts...(you usually are.)

DanA

Reaction score
Just hearing Steven Jones joke....we've had no luck with safety. I was just think nah.....you *******, there were three expected to go 25-40 and you missed them because you were unwilling to trade. Nobody to blame but themselves and their miss evaluation of the importance of safety yet again.

TheSkaven

Last Man Standing
Reaction score
I know a lot of members on here kept preaching how this could finally be the year these 2 positions would be addressed and of course we got nothing. Yeah, don't consider a 6th rounder in a weak draft a solution either. Who here is still furious over this?

“Big Bo” Bohanna is a 357 monster that’s going to stand right over the center.

Im upset about not grabbing a safety - and really they should have traded up a few picks for Moehrig. But this was a weak draft class for DT, so I’m fine with sitting this one out.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
i'm only upset with my self for actually thinking they would draft a safety when i knew damn well they wouldn't.
i love the DT picks.
osa,ucla...long *** arms and a motor that has no off switch...strong as hell...this bruin squated 717lbs.
bohanna,ky...big *** grizzly that eats running backs and can penetrate.

but stephen seems to have 1 or 2 safety targets.
if they go off the board...he shuts that idea and we'll try her again next year.
just wish he understood there are more than just 1 or 2 in every draft.
I actually really like the dt picks. I think osa can take reps from hill and gallimore at 3t immediately and big bo will get reps at 1T.

In terms of safety after moehrig, grant, holland, then possibly deablo. I wasnt a big fan of anyone. After the osa pick i knew safety was probably not an option this draft