Hook 'Em Horns vs. Roll Tide Game Thread

DFWJC

Reaction score
InmanRoshi;3207199 said:
He better get used to it, because he'll be expected to play hurt in the pros when there's no structural damage and x-rays come back negative and his fill in is 1/8 for -4 yards and 1 INT.

Mack Brown coddling time is officially over.

Those comments are insanely idiotic. I was going say you are an idiot, but i don't know you.

jimmy40

Reaction score
InmanRoshi;3207227 said:
If they miss the entire game, it's usually because they want to do tests and further evaluate the injury so no more structural damage can be done that could worsen the injury.

Colt had his x-rays in the lockerroom ... negative.
too bad there are no other tests to run, maybe one day there will be something besides x-rays.

joseephuss

Reaction score
Kangaroo;3207159 said:
I think Gilbert struggles is more a coaching issue he looked unprepared to play this game in any fashion.

He started 1/10 the coaches should had worked some early screens to the wr to get his confidence built up. It did not help that Texas could not run the ball either to take the pressure off the young QB.

Saying all that the kid threw what 4 pics and had a fumble typical Mac Brown team

Two of those pics were on the receivers. And one came very late in the game on a desperation drive.

There were just too many factors in the entire situation to jump to any conclusion that Gilbert will be a good or bad qb. Any back up would struggle on that stage. How do you prepare a back up for the biggest game of the year when they always get limited reps in practice? He did make some good early throws that were just dropped by his receivers. I believe he had four drops in those first ten passes. That ain't good.

jimmy40;3207187 said:
and somehow managed to squeeze in 45 wins.:rolleyes:

David Greene held the record before that and never played a down in the NFL. Being a good college QB is not a guarantee that he will be a good NFL QB. And shoulder issues are shoulder issues.

joseephuss

Reaction score
InmanRoshi;3207227 said:
If they miss the entire game, it's usually because they want to do tests and further evaluate the injury so no more structural damage can be done that could worsen the injury. Colt had his x-rays in the lockerroom ... negative.

Maybe he was too hurt to play. I'm just saying in the pros he'll be expected to do everything possible on the sidelines to get back in the game, because all of his teammates (and opponents) will be at 70%-80% health and playing with injuries themselves.

It still comes down to the decision of the coaches and the medical staff. The player has some input, but he is not the final authority whether it was last night or in the NFL.

jimmy40

Reaction score
joseephuss;3207239 said:
Two of those pics were on the receivers. And one came very late in the game on a desperation drive.

There were just too many factors in the entire situation to jump to any conclusion that Gilbert will be a good or bad qb. Any back up would struggle on that stage. How do you prepare a back up for the biggest game of the year when they always get limited reps in practice? He did make some good early throws that were just dropped by his receivers. I believe he had four drops in those first ten passes. That ain't good.

David Greene held the record before that and never played a down in the NFL. Being a good college QB is not a guarantee that he will be a good NFL QB. And shoulder issues are shoulder issues.

are you talking about the injury after the Heard? a&m hit?

DFWJC

Reaction score
Beast_from_East;3206956 said:
Some observations....

a. Congrats to Alabama on winning the BCS Championship. However, I still believe that a playoff system is needed to determine a true champion. Who would not like to see Alabama vs. Boise in a match up next week for a winner take all???

b. Sabin is a POS for running the score up. He clearly was scared that his repuation or image or whatever would be hurt if he only won by a little bit. Thus, running up the score makes it look like Alabama won by more than they actually did, total bushleage move by Sabin.

c. Gilbert did a hell of a job for a freshman coming off the bench cold. He has a bright future ahead of him with UT.

d. It was a dam shame McCoy got hurt, the game might have really been different. I agree with some of the posters here that the image portrayed tonight (be if fair or unfair) was that McCoy was more concerned about his NFL future than playing for a national title. Now I am not saying this was the case, I am just saying that is how it looked and I really wonder if some scouts are going to hold it against him. I would have loved for Colt to show some sack and at least try to play a couple of snaps in the 2nd half. If the ball only goes 5 yards or is wildly inaccurate, then sit him down.
Good post parts a through c.

Part d and any possible consideration that McCoy is not the absolute ultimate team player and is not tough was WAY out of line. That guy was completely devastated and without his faith may have been a total basket case having to watch his lifetime dream go up in smoke before the game had hardly even begun. I can't imagine how painful that must be...and to utterly ehlpless to do anything about it.

Biggems

White and Nerdy
Reaction score
StylisticS;3206939 said:
Is that 20 counting the TD that Malcolm dropped? He really needed to step up tonight and he didn't. He has alot of talent but wow. If he caught that pass, it's 14-13 two plays after Richardson's big run. Instead, it led to an interception the very next play.

i totally forgot about that play good call.

no, i was counting the 2 fgs in the first half and the 2 tds to shipley. since bama would have had 17, texas kicks the PAT instead of going for two.

oh well, both teams made some silly mistakes last night. in the end, UT made the most crucial mistakes and it cost them the game.

joseephuss

Reaction score
jimmy40;3207262 said:
are you talking about the injury after the Heard? a&m hit?

As a freshman he got a stinger at KSU. That one was not completely healed going into the A&M game the following week, so it got re-aggravated.

He hurt his shoulder again as a sophomore. This time it was not hurt enough to miss any playing time, but he did hurt it.

Now you have this injury.

I am not saying his arm is going to fall off or anything like that, but he has hurt it three different times. NFL teams keep an eye out for those types of things. Sam Bradford is going to have his shoulder questioned as well.

joseephuss

Reaction score
Biggems;3207276 said:
i totally forgot about that play good call.

no, i was counting the 2 fgs in the first half and the 2 tds to shipley. since bama would have had 17, texas kicks the PAT instead of going for two.

oh well, both teams made some silly mistakes last night. in the end, UT made the most crucial mistakes and it cost them the game.

They lost 4 points because Shipley failed to get lined up correctly on Gilbert's early QB sneak. They had to settle for a FG. Plus had the TD stood they would have been kicking from the 45 instead of the 30 because of the Bama unsportsmanlike penalty. The recovered the kick off on the Bama 30. It is possible if things played out the same way that the ball is on the 15 instead of the 30.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Just to keep going on this, I'm still with Inman and Rainman. Something about the whole Colt thing just smells a little. I'm not saying he's a total dog or quitter or anything like that, but why did it take that long to come to a decision? Why did his dad have to go back and talk to him for so long? Usually if a guy can't play, he takes his pads off and puts on a sling or whatever -- he doesn't keep his uniform on and go stand on the sideline without even trying to throw.

I mean, come on. They even said his NFL future had something to do with it. And somehow that doesn't sit right when you're talking about the national championship with only a very inexperienced backup behind you.

I don't care much one way or another as I'm not a fan of either team, but I do bet you his teammates were questioning it.

jimmy40

Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;3207432 said:
Just to keep going on this, I'm still with Inman and Rainman. Something about the whole Colt thing just smells a little. I'm not saying he's a total dog or quitter or anything like that, but why did it take that long to come to a decision? Why did his dad have to go back and talk to him for so long? Usually if a guy can't play, he takes his pads off and puts on a sling or whatever -- he doesn't keep his uniform on and go stand on the sideline without even trying to throw.

I mean, come on. They even said his NFL future had something to do with it. And somehow that doesn't sit right when you're talking about the national championship with only a very inexperienced backup behind you.

I don't care much one way or another as I'm not a fan of either team, but I do bet you his teammates were questioning it.
How do you know he didn't try to throw? California's a big state.

joseephuss

Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;3207432 said:

Who is they? The sideline reporters or the booth announcers? It sounded as if they were just speculating to me.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
joseephuss;3207542 said:
Who is they? The sideline reporters or the booth announcers? It sounded as if they were just speculating to me.

The sideline reporter said it, right? And she said it as if she were told that by the UT people, not just guessing.

Edit, just saw the thread by jimmy that he couldn't throw at all. So good, that clears that up. IMO they could have just told us that on the telecast.

Kangaroo

Reaction score
joseephuss;3207239 said:

To clarify i never said the kid would be good or bad I felt sorry for him and I think the coaching staff did not help him out in a tough spot. The dropped passes and int because of wr is typical Mac Brown teams.

I am not even a UT fan I did not go to any of these big schools I went to a D1aa school I have no loyalty to any of the D1 schools.

Just to clarify my stance

DFWJC

Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;3207668 said:
The sideline reporter said it, right? And she said it as if she were told that by the UT people, not just guessing.

Edit, just saw the thread by jimmy that he couldn't throw at all. So good, that clears that up. IMO they could have just told us that on the telecast.
Agreed.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
I don't have any stake in it, but I watched the game with Longhorn fans and they were pretty pissed at Colt. The prognosis leaking out is he suffered a "pinched nerve" and he'll be totally fine in a couple of days. So maybe he couldn't throw the football and I'm completely wrong but either way ABC really didn't do him any favors with their coverage. Plus his draft stock has to take a pretty significant hit. I don't know how you draft a QB who's throwing arm goes numb for hours from routine hits with a Day 1 pick. I can't imagine a more disappointing way for him to end his collegiate career over his last two games when you combine this with his awful performance against Nebraska.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Exactly IR, and I found it funny that the other "Colt Couldn't Throw" thread article kept saying that Colt *never* gets hurt and he just happened to right now at the worst time. What? I don't even watch many UT games and he's been hurt many times over the last few years. Not that it's his fault, but still, it's hardly a shock that he got hurt, either.

Concord

Mr. Buckeye
Reaction score
InmanRoshi;3207924 said:
I don't have any stake in it, but I watched the game with Longhorn fans and they were pretty pissed at Colt. The prognosis leaking out is he suffered a "pinched nerve" and he'll be totally fine in a couple of days. So maybe he couldn't throw the football and I'm completely wrong but either way ABC really didn't do him any favors with their coverage. Plus his draft stock has to take a pretty significant hit. I don't know how you draft a QB who's throwing arm goes numb for hours from routine hits with a Day 1 pick. I can't imagine a more disappointing way for him to end his collegiate career over his last two games when you combine this with his awful performance against Nebraska.

Well...he's got his NFL future to think about.

:rolleyes:

I couldn't believe what I was hearing.