Hook 'Em Horns vs. Roll Tide Game Thread

Doomsday101

Reaction score
ConcordCowboy;3206882 said:
If for some reason Phillips got fired...

Would you support Jerry hiring this man?

image_5727612.jpg

It is hard to say what kind of coach Mac Brown would be, one thing for certain his teams do not quite and do a good job of keeping composer. Being a head coach is not always about the X's and O's heck Jimmy Johnson did not call the offense or the defense he managed the team.

Having said that Mac has it made at Texas why would he want to go to the dog eat dog world of the NFL?

Concord

Mr. Buckeye
Reaction score
Beast_from_East;3206956 said:
c. Gilbert did a hell of a job for a freshman coming off the bench cold. He has a bright future ahead of him with UT.

Romo 2 Austin;3207127 said:
Gilbert sucks, our future is not bright.

OK which is it?

Doomsday101

Reaction score
ConcordCowboy;3206882 said:
If for some reason Phillips got fired...

Would you support Jerry hiring this man?

image_5727612.jpg

It is hard to say what kind of coach Mac Brown would be, one thing for certain his teams do not quite and do a good job of keeping composure. Being a head coach is not always about the X's and O's heck Jimmy Johnson did not call the offense or the defense he managed the team

Having said that Mac has it made at Texas why would he want to go to the dog eat dog world of the NFL?

jman

Reaction score
Romo 2 Austin;3207137 said:
Anyone that can throw a pick 6 in the form of a shovel pass, sucks and should be neutered

Doesn't help that it hit Tre' Newton in the hands and he couldn't hold on to it.

Garrett Gilbert may not be the answer, but I wouldn't throw him under the bus for that play.

The other INT's...two words...true freshman.

joseephuss

Reaction score
Romo 2 Austin;3207137 said:
Anyone that can throw a pick 6 in the form of a shovel pass, sucks and should be neutered

The running back is the guy who screwed up that play. He popped the ball up in the air. Texas should have just kneeled the ball anyway and gone into the half to settle down. Poor decision by the coaches.

Everyone said that Texas would struggle to put up points on Bama's defense with Colt at QB. A true freshman with very little reps was able to come in and throw two TDs. That is the sign of something good.

I didn't realize people were questioning McCoy's dedication. That is absurd. It was reported that he was pissed off that the coaches would not let him go back into the game. I do, however think his draft status drops. This is the third time he has hurt his shoulder in some fashion in college. It doesn't make him a wuss, but there is something about his shoulder that is prone to injury. Whatever round you projected him to go in has now been dropped a round.

Bama played a good game and took advantage of the situation of facing a back up QB. They adjusted their game plan so as not to hurt themselves. They realized they could lose if they tried to do too much passing and stuck to a good, strong running game. They over powered Texas at times running the ball. Other times they changed the blocking and look just enough to force Texas to take very poor angles.

I don't think Saban ran up the score. They just kept running the ball and had success do so. I think that late in the game the Texas defense had been spent. It was a pretty emotional night for them since they lost their QB at the beginning of the game.

Good win for Bama.

Kangaroo

Reaction score
I think Gilbert struggles is more a coaching issue he looked unprepared to play this game in any fashion.

He started 1/10 the coaches should had worked some early screens to the wr to get his confidence built up. It did not help that Texas could not run the ball either to take the pressure off the young QB.

Saying all that the kid threw what 4 pics and had a fumble typical Mac Brown team

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
Beast_from_East;3206956 said:
I would have loved for Colt to show some sack and at least try to play a couple of snaps in the 2nd half. If the ball only goes 5 yards or is wildly inaccurate, then sit him down.

Or even just try to throw a few passes on the sidelines to test out the arm.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
InmanRoshi;3207172 said:

I'm sure they tested his range of motion as they had him in the x-ray room and locker room. I have no doubts if Colt could have played he would have played. His main reason for coming back this year was to get the National Championship.

jimmy40

Reaction score
joseephuss;3207157 said:
I didn't realize people were questioning McCoy's dedication. That is absurd. It was reported that he was pissed off that the coaches would not let him go back into the game. I do, however think his draft status drops. This is the third time he has hurt his shoulder in some fashion in college. It doesn't make him a wuss, but there is something about his shoulder that is prone to injury. Whatever round you projected him to go in has now been dropped a round.
and somehow managed to squeeze in 45 wins.:rolleyes:

jimmy40

Reaction score
InmanRoshi;3207172 said:
I think I heard McCoy say he wanted to do that on the sidelines instead of the dressing room so you'd be satisfied.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
jimmy40;3207191 said:
I think I heard McCoy say he wanted to do that on the sidelines instead of the dressing room so you'd be satisfied.

He better get used to it, because he'll be expected to play hurt in the pros when there's no structural damage and x-rays come back negative and his fill in is 1/8 for -4 yards and 1 INT.

Mack Brown coddling time is officially over.

jimmy40

Reaction score
InmanRoshi;3207199 said:
He better get used to it, because he'll be expected to play hurt in the pros when there's no structural damage and x-rays come back negative and his fill in is 1/8 for -4 yards and 1 INT.

yep, NFL players never leave a game and come back the next week.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
jimmy40;3207215 said:

Yep, and they never leave a game and try to work things out on the sidelines to see if they can give it a go before they shut it down either.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
InmanRoshi;3207199 said:

x-rays were neg they also listed it as a sprained shoulder. I think if Colt could have played he would have played.

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
Give the kid a break his arm was numb. How are you supposed to throw the ball when your arm is numb. Hopefully he doesn't have nerve damage.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Yeagermeister;3207222 said:
Give the kid a break his arm was numb. How are you supposed to throw the ball when your arm is numb. Hopefully he doesn't have nerve damage.

I agree. I think this is stupid for anyone to question Colts situation without knowing the facts.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
jimmy40;3207215 said:

If they miss the entire game, it's usually because they want to do tests and further evaluate the injury so no more structural damage can be done that could worsen the injury. Colt had his x-rays in the lockerroom ... negative.

Maybe he was too hurt to play. I'm just saying in the pros he'll be expected to do everything possible on the sidelines to get back in the game, because all of his teammates (and opponents) will be at 70%-80% health and playing with injuries themselves.

jimmy40

Reaction score
InmanRoshi;3207217 said:
Yep, and they never leave a game and try to work things out on the sidelines to see if they can give it a go before they shut it down either.
He tried to work it out under the stands, sorry they didn't check with you on what location they were supposed to use.