Hope Dak's a cerebral QB

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Irvin was on 105.3 the fan this morning. He said he played in the Pro Bowl under the 49ers West coast offense. He said it was extremely difficult to understand, but Aikman was so cerebral, he was able to understand it and simplify it for Irvin.

Think about the QBs McCarthy had under this offense.... Montana, Steve Young, Favre, and Rogers. They all had high QB IQs.

I think Dak will be just fine.

Favre was a physical talent who was very athletic but many people over the years have questions his brain power. I've never heard or read anyone say Favre was a cerebral QB. I've heard, read or saw that he had very strong arm and that he was great at running around in the backfield until he could unload it or just take off running, but if he was so cerebral he wouldn't have throw so many balls into double coverage and got picked, enough times for him to be the all time leader in picks for the league.

Zordon

Reaction score
Irvin was on 105.3 the fan this morning. He said he played in the Pro Bowl under the 49ers West coast offense. He said it was extremely difficult to understand, but Aikman was so cerebral, he was able to understand it and simplify it for Irvin.

Think about the QBs McCarthy had under this offense.... Montana, Steve Young, Favre, and Rogers. They all had high QB IQs.

I think Dak will be just fine.
Rich Gannon was on 105.3 a few days ago, he said Dak is going to have to live at the facility this offseason and be completely bought in to the new offense b/c the terminology is going to be completely different. This is another reason why McCarthy needed his guys in the assistant roles who were familiar with the WCO. There's going to be a lot of teaching going on over the next 6 months.

garyo1954

Reaction score
Wonderlic test:

"Ernie had $10 in cash, with which he purchased gum for $1.29, a candy bar for $1.49 and a beverage for $2.39. If he does not have to pay sales tax, how much change should he receive?"

Ain't nobody got time for that! Ernie ain't even gonna count his change!

ak47kaehu

Reaction score
I don't know if the Wonderlic Test is a good barometer or not but here are some scores.
Tony Romo 37
Aaron Rodgers 35
Steve Young 33
Quincy Carter 30
Troy Aikman 29
Dak Prescott 25
Brett Favre 22
Joe Montana 21
Make of it what you will;)
What was Garretts score? How did that translate to his play on the field and then later on his coaching?

Philmonroe

Reaction score
Dak received his bachelor's and master's degrees in a total of 5 years. He is more than plenty of smart enough.
I see we got another one that assumes anybody with a college degree no matter what its in is "smart enough" smh. He got them degrees that if he wasn't an athlete you'd be like he went to school for that stop it. Them degrees don't have jack expletive to do with playing football so I need people to stop this smart business when they aren't even related.

Flamma

Reaction score
I've never felt like Dak was breaking down defenses ar the line of scrimmage and exploiting weaknesses.

As an anointed hater of Dak, I actually have seen him do this on occasion. You can clearly see it. He audibles at the line and goes to a favorable target if it's not a run audible. The two recent one's I can remember was a slant to Cobb by the GL and the other was a deep route that he missed, but it was there.

This is the first year I've noticed pass audibles. Usually when he does that it's a run play. But then again I am not constantly paying attention.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Ryan Fitzpatrick - 48. Of course he went to Harvard

Wonderlic isn’t about “the higher the better you will be”

The wonderlic has an average for every position in the NFL. I believe QB is around 24 or 25 (might be higher)

If you are well below that, it is certainly a red flag. There will always be outliers.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
He's more cerebral than most of his haters on this board.
Yeah it’s funny. You have the same group of people that highlight every negative and dispute every positive then turn around and act as if they aren’t haters. I take a dump on Dak every chance I get but I don’t hate the guy. :laugh:

CowboysRule

Reaction score
Dak throws a pretty deep ball but I've never been very impressed with his shorter passes. He can get the ball to the receiver but he is regularly throwing it behind, high, low, etc. Not so much that the receiver can't catch it, but to the point where he makes an easy pass more difficult for the WR or they have to break stride thus limiting YAC. I just don't think a WCO best suites his strengths.

GMO415

Reaction score
I don't think any of his limitations are mental. So he'll know and understand the offense just fine. Whether he will be accurate with the football and show anticipation are the bigger questions. That is a staple for West Coast QBs that have been worth talking about.
True. The ball comes out fast and accuracy is paramount

GMO415

Reaction score
I don't know if the Wonderlic Test is a good barometer or not but here are some scores.
Tony Romo 37
Aaron Rodgers 35
Steve Young 33
Quincy Carter 30
Troy Aikman 29
Dak Prescott 25
Brett Favre 22
Joe Montana 21
Make of it what you will;)
Hahaha. Montana? The man went to Notre Dame..... you'd think he'd be smarter.

InTheZone

Reaction score
As long as Dak put's his thoughts in order presnap we'll be fine. It's when he snaps the ball and doesn't see what the whole world sees is when we have a problem.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
I see we got another one that assumes anybody with a college degree no matter what its in is "smart enough" smh. He got them degrees that if he wasn't an athlete you'd be like he went to school for that stop it. Them degrees don't have jack expletive to do with playing football so I need people to stop this smart business when they aren't even related.
Then research Dak's college and pro football accomplishments, Einstein, before opening your uninformed trap. Very simple.