CFZ Hope vs Belief

Motorola

Reaction score
Question I’ve been pondering: Do I have faith in this team? My honest answer- No I do not. Second question- Do I have hope for this team? Yes I do.

And I will be thrilled if this team wins at least two playoff games this year and at least make it to an NFC championship game. But…until the Cowboys get the 27 year old monkey off their collective backs, it’s completely understandable why much of our fan base are not yet buying in. In fact, here’s a list of things I do believe strongly:
  • Until this team proves otherwise, they remain what they have been for quite a while. A good but not great team. I really hope they prove me wrong this coming January.
  • You can’t create believers until you’ve proven you’ve done something outside the norm. The norm for this team in the 21st century is to flirt with being good but folding when it matters most. They’ve done it over and over. Until they crack that glass wall, there won’t be much belief.
  • I don’t fault anyone who believes or doesn’t believe. It’s all part of being a Cowboys fan. But I can say emphatically that I believe this: You are what you have been until you prove it otherwise.
There’s a very fine line between faith and hope. I will believe this team is headed for greatness when they do it. That’s what the last 27 years have led me to believe. I still have hope. There are some signs for hope. But I will become a believer when it happens.
No matter which category you choose to be in this postseason ----
a) expect a one-and-done game performance
b) cautiously optimistic for a road wildcard tilt v. an inferior NFC South opponent (even if it's TB W/TB12)
c) first round bye or not - a divisional round game will be a reality
d) NFCCG is this team's destiny

All of us Cowboys Zone Members will be watching the first playoff game for Dallas

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I think it's pretty obvious who has hope and who has faith (or at least wants everyone else to believe they have faith). That said, I have faith that they have the talent, but I hope they take advantage of that talent when it counts.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think it's pretty obvious who has hope and who has faith (or at least wants everyone else to believe they have faith). That said, I have faith that they have the talent, but I hope they take advantage of that talent when it counts.
And regardless of anyone’s level of hope or belief or whatever…the Cowboys still have to prove themselves in the playoffs to gain the respect we all want. Respect IS earned by winning playoff games.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
And regardless of anyone’s level of hope or belief or whatever…the Cowboys still have to prove themselves in the playoffs to gain the respect we all want. Respect IS earned by winning playoff games.
Especially when you're the Dallas Cowboys, and haven't had much to brag about in a couple of (Wow, closer to a few now) decades.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I see faith as believing in what I cannot see but with what I have seen from this team this season leaves me only with hope that they will do what they did in the regular season, exceed my expectations.

The Cowboys are good when the NFC is not that good so they do have the opportunity to make some noise but they have to win two road games to get to the NFCCG, tall order for a team of inconsistencies.

I do not know what to expect from this team, they can still be that penalty machine and they are just not good enough to overcome that.

If you had told me they would lose their QB for 5 games, no way I see this team as a 12 win one. And because of that, I cannot string out that 26 years of futility because they have already given me a better season than I expected. I used to be that "Big Dance or Bust" fan because they spoiled me, I thought an extended season was just part of the deal.

Those 26 years of futility have been for a reason and that reason still remains.

JohnnyTheFox

Achilleslastand
Reaction score
Question I’ve been pondering: Do I have faith in this team? My honest answer- No I do not. Second question- Do I have hope for this team? Yes I do.

And I will be thrilled if this team wins at least two playoff games this year and at least make it to an NFC championship game. But…until the Cowboys get the 27 year old monkey off their collective backs, it’s completely understandable why much of our fan base are not yet buying in. In fact, here’s a list of things I do believe strongly:
  • Until this team proves otherwise, they remain what they have been for quite a while. A good but not great team. I really hope they prove me wrong this coming January.
  • You can’t create believers until you’ve proven you’ve done something outside the norm. The norm for this team in the 21st century is to flirt with being good but folding when it matters most. They’ve done it over and over. Until they crack that glass wall, there won’t be much belief.
  • I don’t fault anyone who believes or doesn’t believe. It’s all part of being a Cowboys fan. But I can say emphatically that I believe this: You are what you have been until you prove it otherwise.
There’s a very fine line between faith and hope. I will believe this team is headed for greatness when they do it. That’s what the last 27 years have led me to believe. I still have hope. There are some signs for hope. But I will become a believer when it happens.
Let me get this straight, so you're saying there's not a magical switch that can flip?

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I see faith as believing in what I cannot see but with what I have seen from this team this season leaves me only with hope that they will do what they did in the regular season, exceed my expectations.

The Cowboys are good when the NFC is not that good so they do have the opportunity to make some noise but they have to win two road games to get to the NFCCG, tall order for a team of inconsistencies.

I do not know what to expect from this team, they can still be that penalty machine and they are just not good enough to overcome that.

If you had told me they would lose their QB for 5 games, no way I see this team as a 12 win one. And because of that, I cannot string out that 26 years of futility because they have already given me a better season than I expected. I used to be that "Big Dance or Bust" fan because they spoiled me, I thought an extended season was just part of the deal.

Those 26 years of futility have been for a reason and that reason still remains.
They've kept the penalties down for the last 3 weeks, and it would have been even better if they didn't let Bossman Fathead suit up.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I’m reminded of the old sports saying, “Consistency is the habit of champions…and losers.” The way this team has played down the stretch this yr and last, we have shown to be neither. Good enough to get to the dance but unable to dance when they get there. Again, until we prove otherwise, why would we believe we are anything more than we’ve been the last 27?

I hope we can deliver. But as I said in the OP- You are what you have been- until proven otherwise.

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
Kinda the same
I don't think so.

When I quit smoking I made it a point to declare it to everyone in my circle. Aggressively declare it, in three inch headlines, to put pressure on myself to not fail.

I guarantee you that everyone had hope for me but not many believed it would happen.