CFZ Hope vs Belief

rambo2

Reaction score
Question I’ve been pondering: Do I have faith in this team? My honest answer- No I do not. Second question- Do I have hope for this team? Yes I do.

And I will be thrilled if this team wins at least two playoff games this year and at least make it to an NFC championship game. But…until the Cowboys get the 27 year old monkey off their collective backs, it’s completely understandable why much of our fan base are not yet buying in. In fact, here’s a list of things I do believe strongly:
  • Until this team proves otherwise, they remain what they have been for quite a while. A good but not great team. I really hope they prove me wrong this coming January.
  • You can’t create believers until you’ve proven you’ve done something outside the norm. The norm for this team in the 21st century is to flirt with being good but folding when it matters most. They’ve done it over and over. Until they crack that glass wall, there won’t be much belief.
  • I don’t fault anyone who believes or doesn’t believe. It’s all part of being a Cowboys fan. But I can say emphatically that I believe this: You are what you have been until you prove it otherwise.
There’s a very fine line between faith and hope. I will believe this team is headed for greatness when they do it. That’s what the last 27 years have led me to believe. I still have hope. There are some signs for hope. But I will become a believer when it happens.
There is a good chance that they win the two playoff games or more. They are certainly good enough to do that.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
I have hope, I do not have faith. The defense right now is not where we need it. Maybe we can go on a magical run where it all comes together ala the Giants of years back but I’m not expecting it. I would have more faith with Burrow or Mahomes or Allen or Brady running the show but that’s for another day. Dak will have to be A+++ once we get into the tournament, can he do it? We are about to find out very soon!
Sounds bout right

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Question I’ve been pondering: Do I have faith in this team? My honest answer- No I do not. Second question- Do I have hope for this team? Yes I do.

And I will be thrilled if this team wins at least two playoff games this year and at least make it to an NFC championship game. But…until the Cowboys get the 27 year old monkey off their collective backs, it’s completely understandable why much of our fan base are not yet buying in. In fact, here’s a list of things I do believe strongly:
  • Until this team proves otherwise, they remain what they have been for quite a while. A good but not great team. I really hope they prove me wrong this coming January.
  • You can’t create believers until you’ve proven you’ve done something outside the norm. The norm for this team in the 21st century is to flirt with being good but folding when it matters most. They’ve done it over and over. Until they crack that glass wall, there won’t be much belief.
  • I don’t fault anyone who believes or doesn’t believe. It’s all part of being a Cowboys fan. But I can say emphatically that I believe this: You are what you have been until you prove it otherwise.
There’s a very fine line between faith and hope. I will believe this team is headed for greatness when they do it. That’s what the last 27 years have led me to believe. I still have hope. There are some signs for hope. But I will become a believer when it happens.

Great post!!!

I would also add that hope and faith are very different in terms of time.

Faith, at a basic level, is the belief that something exists without any scientific proof to verify it. Not to get into any discussion about it, but religion obviously is at the heart of faith and is about the present.

Hope, on the other hand, is more about the future, not the present. You typically hope in terms of an event or a sequence of events happening at a future date. Whether you hope to get a new promotion or for the Cowboys to win multiple playoff games, these events are happening in the future.

So the bottom line is that faith is not required for hope. I can have little to no faith about something as of today, but still have hope that changes in the future. Ergo, in terms of sports, I can have no faith that the Cowboys as of today are going to win anything but I can still hope that they win in the future.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Great post!!!

I would also add that hope and faith are very different in terms of time.

Faith, at a basic level, is the belief that something exists without any scientific proof to verify it. Not to get into any discussion about it, but religion obviously is at the heart of faith and is about the present.

Hope, on the other hand, is more about the future, not the present. You typically hope in terms of an event or a sequence of events happening at a future date. Whether you hope to get a new promotion or for the Cowboys to win multiple playoff games, these events are happening in the future.

So the bottom line is that faith is not required for hope. I can have little to no faith about something as of today, but still have hope that changes in the future. Ergo, in terms of sports, I can have no faith that the Cowboys as of today are going to win anything but I can still hope that they win in the future.
Well said!

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I think there’s some truth in there, rose colored glasses, etc, but I don’t see how the haters that complain constantly throughout every game, nitpicking every play, calling players garbage and wanting starters cut is some search for improvement. Even coaches wait till after the games to critique. Too many fans just want to complain and find fault even with good plays and scores.
If I were a psychiatrist, which I'm not, I'd say some people react that way to distance themselves from the mistakes, and show that it's not their fault we have players on our team who screw up.

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
From Miracle on 34th street. (1947 version)

"Faith is believing in something when common sense tells you not to."

I think we should have more of a Jack Reacher attitude.

"Hope for the best, plan for the worst."

GMO415

Reaction score

Bullet, I have Faith.

Here's why, I see a cultural change in this team. I don't see your 27 year typical "out for self" players. I see a group of men bonded for one goal, and that's a SB.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Bullet, I have Faith.

Here's why, I see a cultural change in this team. I don't see your 27 year typical "out for self" players. I see a group of men bonded for one goal, and that's a SB.
There is that. Maybe we should stop watching the games and just watch Sounds from the Sidelines. :grin:

Captain43Crash

Reaction score

Faith is a much higher level of confidence.

We all can hope: Every fan base, of a team that makes the playoffs, has hope their team will win the Super Bowl.

Only a few fan bases, of a team that makes the playoffs, has faith their team will win the Super Bowl.

I have more than hope, but less than faith, for the team in general, that we will win the Super Bowl. I wish I didn’t have to say this, but I don’t have faith in our O line or D line. Can they be stout enough at the point of attack? I hope so!!

Last edited:

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Faith is a much higher level of confidence.

We all can hope: Every fan base, of a team that makes the playoffs, has hope their team will win the Super Bowl.

Only a few fan bases, of a team that makes the playoffs, has faith their team will win the Super Bowl.
Faith is a blind belief, usually stemming from a lack of factual information, and we've seen plenty of people here who base their beliefs on a lack of factual information.

blueblood70

Reaction score
i just watch one game at time..its a football season and will enjoy watch games a one off with no expectations. leave it there..

sure lets hope for a playoff run but its sports and not in our control. Why stress about it. like all these ridiculous post game comments nitpicking wins. waste of time. its a win. move on to the next one

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Care to explain this further?
OUR faith or belief or whatever you want to call it in this team means nothing. Just like all of those in here that are divorced. Did they have "Faith," in their ex-wife????? Didnt seem to help much, did it?