CFZ Hope vs Belief

CowboysLakerBamaFan

Reaction score
I don't think so.

When I quit smoking I made it a point to declare it to everyone in my circle. Aggressively declare it, in three inch headlines, to put pressure on myself to not fail.

I guarantee you that everyone had hope for me but not many believed it would happen.

I hope you don't revert to smoking

Buzzbait

Reaction score
After the circus during the last couple of decades, I have neither.

No hope? I understand why no faith in this team. I don't trust this team without seeing it happen, No hope? I wouldn't even watch a team if I didn't even have hope for their success. That's just me. I hope the Cowboys win 1 or 2 playoff games. I don't trust that they will, just hope.

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
I’m glad all the fans and media are doubting this team. Motivation for the coaches and players.
I think it is less about motivation and more about overconfidence.

If someone is constantly told they are great eventually they are going to believe it. Once you start thinking you're all that it's easy to lose your edge.

Buzzbait

Reaction score
No matter which category you choose to be in this postseason ----
a) expect a one-and-done game performance
b) cautiously optimistic for a road wildcard tilt v. an inferior NFC South opponent (even if it's TB W/TB12)
c) first round bye or not - a divisional round game will be a reality
d) NFCCG is this team's destiny

All of us Cowboys Zone Members will be watching the first playoff game for Dallas
I believe Dallas has the talent to at least win the 1st round, but doing it is another matter. They're so inconsistent you can't count on anything, but there's always hope. ;)
Truthfully I hope they don't qualify for a 1st round bye. The Cowboys typically do not respond well to time off, whether it's a 1st round bye or a mid season bye. When they get a bye they seem to get lazy and rusty. :confused:

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score

If someone is constantly told they are great eventually they are going to believe it. Once you start thinking you're all that it's easy to lose your edge.
True

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Then explain my posting career.

Aven8

Reaction score
Question I’ve been pondering: Do I have faith in this team? My honest answer- No I do not. Second question- Do I have hope for this team? Yes I do.

And I will be thrilled if this team wins at least two playoff games this year and at least make it to an NFC championship game. But…until the Cowboys get the 27 year old monkey off their collective backs, it’s completely understandable why much of our fan base are not yet buying in. In fact, here’s a list of things I do believe strongly:
  • Until this team proves otherwise, they remain what they have been for quite a while. A good but not great team. I really hope they prove me wrong this coming January.
  • You can’t create believers until you’ve proven you’ve done something outside the norm. The norm for this team in the 21st century is to flirt with being good but folding when it matters most. They’ve done it over and over. Until they crack that glass wall, there won’t be much belief.
  • I don’t fault anyone who believes or doesn’t believe. It’s all part of being a Cowboys fan. But I can say emphatically that I believe this: You are what you have been until you prove it otherwise.
There’s a very fine line between faith and hope. I will believe this team is headed for greatness when they do it. That’s what the last 27 years have led me to believe. I still have hope. There are some signs for hope. But I will become a believer when it happens.

My faith I have Bob is unlike previous years this team hasn’t laid that clunker all season except for the very first one. We’ve lost two OT games where we led by 14 in the second half, and 17 in the second half. And of course Philly where our backup threw three picks only to almost comeback and win if only for a defensive stop.

My hope is that this team is ready for it all. Outside of SF who scares me….we can do this. They just have to play their game.

nyc-cowboy

Reaction score
And this is the exact culture that Jerry brings to this team and why they can't get to the next level.

Its the opposite of what guys like Jimmy and Bill instill in their players and team.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
Absolutely. Playoff wins (plural) create faith!
I have to admit, I’m left with hope right now, but a month ago when it appeared we finally had a decent defense, one that not only got sacks and turnovers but also was getting stops deep in the opponents end, I had real hope that with a really good defense, this team was ready to get to the NFC championship game.

That’s gone. Now I can only hope that the defense finds something besides the bend but don’t break up and down the field. This defense is now incapable of playing complimentary football. It’s too much pressure on the offense. You just can’t find success in the playoffs if you need to score 30 points against good teams every week, especially when the field position is constantly flipping because the defense can’t get off the field. I’m not saying the offense is perfect, but they are good enough to play complimentary football. I’ve lost my faith as the defense has crumbled because the offense is unlikely to carry the team to a deep run by out scoring teams with good defenses.

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
And this is the exact culture that Jerry brings to this team and why they can't get to the next level.

Its the opposite of what guys like Jimmy and Bill instill in their players and team.
You got that right.

It also speaks to the haters vs homers mindset here at the Zone. Haters are generally the type of people who are always looking to get better while homers are content with celebrating the greatness.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
You got that right.

It also speaks to the haters vs homers mindset here at the Zone. Haters are generally the type of people who are always looking to get better while homers are content with celebrating the greatness.
I think there’s some truth in there, rose colored glasses, etc, but I don’t see how the haters that complain constantly throughout every game, nitpicking every play, calling players garbage and wanting starters cut is some search for improvement. Even coaches wait till after the games to critique. Too many fans just want to complain and find fault even with good plays and scores.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Question I’ve been pondering: Do I have faith in this team? My honest answer- No I do not. Second question- Do I have hope for this team? Yes I do.

And I will be thrilled if this team wins at least two playoff games this year and at least make it to an NFC championship game. But…until the Cowboys get the 27 year old monkey off their collective backs, it’s completely understandable why much of our fan base are not yet buying in. In fact, here’s a list of things I do believe strongly:
  • Until this team proves otherwise, they remain what they have been for quite a while. A good but not great team. I really hope they prove me wrong this coming January.
  • You can’t create believers until you’ve proven you’ve done something outside the norm. The norm for this team in the 21st century is to flirt with being good but folding when it matters most. They’ve done it over and over. Until they crack that glass wall, there won’t be much belief.
  • I don’t fault anyone who believes or doesn’t believe. It’s all part of being a Cowboys fan. But I can say emphatically that I believe this: You are what you have been until you prove it otherwise.
There’s a very fine line between faith and hope. I will believe this team is headed for greatness when they do it. That’s what the last 27 years have led me to believe. I still have hope. There are some signs for hope. But I will become a believer when it happens.
I hear what you’re saying . But I’m a little torn on belief.

There’s many things in this world we believe or want to believe in without any prior evidence or proof.

Each roster is different every year. I’m not sure some of these guys should carry the torch from what has happened the last 27 years. That burden rest on Jethro and his Son. And if we want to hold accountability for lack of belief or hope for last 27 years and rolling. It’s all on our dysfunctional leadership.

We can place some burden on Prescott and key players who have been here for several years. But how do we hold guys like Parsons and others responsible for our lack of belief . Some weren’t even born 27 years ago.

Ultimately I think we can believe without any prior results to support our belief. Once you have history or evidence then there’s no need for belief. You know you can do it.

Belief is more about the confidence of striving to achieve it. Trust, faith or confidence in someone doesn’t need prior history.

Now if you want to believe this franchise because of our ownership doesn’t deserve to believed in then I’m all aboard. But this roster hasn’t been a part of all of that. I think we can believe that they can do it regardless if they ever do or not.

shabazz

Reaction score

Two great illustrative words Bob…..I would add a 3rd, Trust. As fans do we trust them to do differently than the last quarter century in the playoffs. I would add the words spoken by Ronaldus Magnus when commenting on the Evil Empire in the 80s, “Doveryay, no proveryay”…..trust, but with verification.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
The Biblical definition of faith:

"The substance of things hoped for and the evidence of things not seen"

So hope is partly required to have faith
Right. Belief isn’t necessarily based on any evidence or prior history it can be done .

Look at all of the things we believe in without any evidence . Just hope and prayer .