CFZ Hoping for Doomsday IV

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The 2023 version of the Cowboys are still three and a half months away from the regular testing ground. But already it’s easy to see why there’s a buzz about the potential for this defense. With the additions of Stephon Gilmore and Mazi Smith, and another year of maturation for Micah Parsons, it’s not hard to be enthused about the possibilities of a true top shelf defense.

Could we be looking at another “Doomsday Defense”? As in “Doomsday IV”? We will know if/when the following criteria, which all three prior versions of Doomsday D’s met:
  • Winning an NFC championship
  • Winning a SB
  • Having at least 2 All Pros
With that criteria in mind, here are the prior gold standard Doomsday versions:
  • Doomsday I- 1966-74– Won 2 NFC Championships and one Lombardi. Perennial All Pro and HOFer Bob Lily was the anchor along with All Pros and HOFers Mel Renfro, and Chuck Howley and All Pro Lee Roy Jordan. Lily retired in 74 and so did Jordan and Howley, brining the end of the first Doomsday unit.
  • Doomsday II1975-82– Fueled by the great ‘75 “Dirty Dozen” draft, D-II won 3 NFC Championships, and a SB- this group was led by All Pros and HOFers Randy White and Cliff Harris, All Pro Harvey Martin, Pro Bowlers Too Tall Jones and Thomas “Hollywood“ Henderson.
  • Doomsday III1991-1996– 3 NFC Championships, 3 Lombardis. Led by HOFers and All Pros Charles Hailey and Deion Sanders, AllPro Darren Woodson, Russell Maryland, SB 30 MVP Larry Brown, along with James Washington.
The revered and time honored “Doomsday” title must be earned. This year’s talented D could be the beginning of a “Doomsday IV“. But we should never use that title until they win a bunch of playoff games like their predecessors.

Here’s hoping we get a “Doomsday IV” back in Big D starting in 2023.

817Gill

Reaction score
Sure hope so. I mean they have the right stuff - on paper.

But how many times has it looked like the D was going to dominate that way, but didn't?
lol who the heck felt like the defense was gonna dominate before 2021?

Besides the 2007ish Parcells defenses, this franchise has largely ignored defense post Jimmy Johnson. Heck, we just drafted our first DT since the 80’s. Our defense being good consistently is a very new feeling that got here when DQ did.

Very very few times in the last 20 years has it looked like the defense was about to dominate. Very few times.

JohnBoy

Reaction score
'Zactly. But because of that, maybe - just maybe - this is their year?

It does feel to me like a better D from last season, combined with a better O from last season, might just get it done...

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
The 2023 version of the Cowboys are still three and a half months away from the regular testing ground. But already it’s easy to see why there’s a buzz about the potential for this defense. With the additions of Stephon Gilmore and Mazi Smith, and another year of maturation for Micah Parsons, it’s not hard to be enthused about the possibilities of a true top shelf defense.

Could we be looking at another “Doomsday Defense”? As in “Doomsday IV”? We will know if/when the following criteria, which all three prior versions of Doomsday D’s met:
  • Winning a SB
  • Doomsday I- 1966-74– Won 2 NFC Championships and one Lombardi. Perennial All Pro and HOFer Bob Lily was the anchor along with All Pros and HOFers Mel Renfro, and Chuck Howley and All Pro Lee Roy Jordan. Lily retired in 74 and so did Jordan and Howley, brining the end of the first Doomsday unit.
  • Doomsday II1975-82– Fueled by the great ‘75 “Dirty Dozen” draft, D-II won 3 NFC Championships, and a SB- this group was led by All Pros and HOFers Randy White and Cliff Harris, All Pro Harvey Martin, Pro Bowlers Too Tall Jones and Thomas “Hollywood“ Henderson.
  • Doomsday III1991-1996– 3 NFC Championships, 3 Lombardis. Led by HOFers and All Pros Charles Hailey and Deion Sanders, AllPro Darren Woodson, Russell Maryland, SB 30 MVP Larry Brown, along with James Washington.
The revered and time honored “Doomsday” title must be earned. This year’s talented D could be the beginning of a “Doomsday IV“. But we should never use that title until they win a bunch of playoff games like their predecessors.

There is a bit more to be enthused about, let's not forget about the possible maturation of..
Sam Williams
Muk
Clark
Armstrong
Harper

Motorola

Reaction score

• Winning a SB

We have a "Doomsday I" member, that was a Super Bowl MVP; he will be inducted into the HOF with his presenter being a former teammate and "Doomsday I" member --- and HOFer.
And don't forget the other elite \outstanding Cowboys defender who will also be immortarlized in Canton this summer.
Cowboys FO - fly the training camp squad in to witness in person the honor Chuck Howley and DeMarcus Ware will receive for playing with The Star on their helmets.
And no doubt see other Cowboys Legends and or/ HOFers there.

Last edited:

CCBoy

Reaction score

• Winning a SB

Wait, didn't two comparison periods contain Bob Lilly and Randy White...? :thumbup: :starspin:

Flamma

Reaction score
Doomsday I- (1966-74) Bob Lily retired after the 74 season.
Doomsday II- (1975-82) Randy White‘s first season was ‘75- the year after Lily retired.
If I'm not mistaken, wasn't Randy White drafted using the pick we got from Denver in a trade for Morton?

I'd just be happy if we have a good defense. We rarely see dominant defenses anymore. But I'll hope for Doomsday.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
If I'm not mistaken, wasn't Randy White drafted using the pick we got from Denver in a trade for Morton?

I'd just be happy if we have a good defense. We rarely see dominant defenses anymore. But I'll hope for Doomsday.
Its a very good one brewing my friend.
Just take a look at the Q influence and why this FO believes in Q and his quick build scheme.
He just turned probably the final page in a very short turnaround, and take a look at his depth and sit back and watch this last harvest totally accentuate and possibly complete this D.
Not many teams D can compare... Q has his guys now to run a very physical and aggressive D.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Armstrong? Harper? Wut?
You dont think Armstrong is a player that has been elevating his game each year?
Maybe not at your desired instant pace, but I see development and progression.
You think Cox can hold off Harper, maybe Harper is another bust, but DO can float there if need be, keep in mind that as of now DO is playing behind Clark on paper pre camp.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The Cowboys DL is far from great. Their starting 3 tech is just solid. Their NT is a promising rookie. Lawrence hasn't been an effective pass rusher in years.

The Eagles have a better DL. OL too.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I was excited when we drafted Bland as well brother Risen.
I'd move those goal posts too.

I dont think Devin Harper's own mother is excited about his maturation. It's just you and Rockport.

Blackrain

Reaction score
Yes bullet the possibilities are very intriguing it will be interesting to see if we can field a Hall of famer at every level like we used to have.
At this point Micah Parsons is our elite player and who the defense revolves around.
We're going to have to hope these young players get fast tracked to turn this into a true doomsday defense.

When I think of Doomsday I think of Randy White Harvey Martin Jethro Pugh and too tall Jones.
The buck stop there and so did most teams running games that was a dominant defensive line that we have yet to build the equal to