CFZ Hoping for Doomsday IV

doomsday9084

Reaction score
This Cowboys defense might have the best group of corners I have seen the team have. They also might have the best group of safeties. They also may have the best group of DE's. The DT's of the 90's were better by a fair amount but if Mazi works out, this might be the second best group since most of the teams of the past 30 years or so sucked.

Only LB kind of sticks out as a "meh" group and that's assuming Parsons is primarily an edge rusher.

Regardless, the defense has a boatload of depth and quality combined with an elite coordinator. Should be really a special team as long as they can stay healthy.

T-RO

Reaction score
Quite comical to say Dallas must win a championship or the defense can't earn "Doomsday IV" moniker....when Doomsday I was recognized and appreciated when the Cowboys weren't even a good winning team overall, and the defense wasn't even ranked #1

In 1964, sports writer Gary Cartwright of the Dallas Morning News coined the phrase "Doomsday Defense". That team went 5-8-1.

Here were the initial win-loss records for Doomsday 1:
1964: 5-8-1
1965: 7-7
1966: 10-3-1...playoff loss to Packers
1967: 9-5...championship loss to Packers
1968: 12-2...playoff loss to Browns
1969: 11-2-1...playoff loss to Browns

Numerous years in this stretch Dallas wasn't even in the top 3 of defenses in points allowed.

The ability of fans here to nostalgically "polish history" is pretty funny sometimes.

I say if Dallas is top 5 in each:
-Points allowed
-Sacks
-Turnovers

It's Doomsday IV, even if they don't go to the playoffs.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
The 2023 version of the Cowboys are still three and a half months away from the regular testing ground. But already it’s easy to see why there’s a buzz about the potential for this defense. With the additions of Stephon Gilmore and Mazi Smith, and another year of maturation for Micah Parsons, it’s not hard to be enthused about the possibilities of a true top shelf defense.

Could we be looking at another “Doomsday Defense”? As in “Doomsday IV”? We will know if/when the following criteria, which all three prior versions of Doomsday D’s met:
  • Winning an NFC championship
  • Winning a SB
  • Having at least 2 All Pros
With that criteria in mind, here are the prior gold standard Doomsday versions:
  • Doomsday I- 1966-74– Won 2 NFC Championships and one Lombardi. Perennial All Pro and HOFer Bob Lily was the anchor along with All Pros and HOFers Mel Renfro, and Chuck Howley and All Pro Lee Roy Jordan. Lily retired in 74 and so did Jordan and Howley, brining the end of the first Doomsday unit.
  • Doomsday II1975-82– Fueled by the great ‘75 “Dirty Dozen” draft, D-II won 3 NFC Championships, and a SB- this group was led by All Pros and HOFers Randy White and Cliff Harris, All Pro Harvey Martin, Pro Bowlers Too Tall Jones and Thomas “Hollywood“ Henderson.
  • Doomsday III1991-1996– 3 NFC Championships, 3 Lombardis. Led by HOFers and All Pros Charles Hailey and Deion Sanders, AllPro Darren Woodson, Russell Maryland, SB 30 MVP Larry Brown, along with James Washington.
The revered and time honored “Doomsday” title must be earned. This year’s talented D could be the beginning of a “Doomsday IV“. But we should never use that title until they win a bunch of playoff games like their predecessors.

Here’s hoping we get a “Doomsday IV” back in Big D starting in 2023.

I'd very much enjoy seeing that.

CCBoy

Reaction score
This Cowboys defense might have the best group of corners I have seen the team have. They also might have the best group of safeties. They also may have the best group of DE's. The DT's of the 90's were better by a fair amount but if Mazi works out, this might be the second best group since most of the teams of the past 30 years or so sucked.

Only LB kind of sticks out as a "meh" group and that's assuming Parsons is primarily an edge rusher.

Regardless, the defense has a boatload of depth and quality combined with an elite coordinator. Should be really a special team as long as they can stay healthy.
That says sacks and turn-overs.

CCBoy

Reaction score

There has been a lot added to the linebacker positional group over the past three seasons. Time to get them all coached up.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The 2023 version of the Cowboys are still three and a half months away from the regular testing ground. But already it’s easy to see why there’s a buzz about the potential for this defense. With the additions of Stephon Gilmore and Mazi Smith, and another year of maturation for Micah Parsons, it’s not hard to be enthused about the possibilities of a true top shelf defense.
:bow:

In Dan Quinn I trust.

T-RO

Reaction score
The defense was night and day from Nolan to Quinn. And improved in year two. No reason it will not be even better in year three.
On paper I absolutely agree.

-They didn't lose any major pieces
-The only guy who might be fading from age is perhaps Tank
-Clark, Williams, Bland should only be better in their second season
-Added Gilmore (huge addition), Mazi & Overshown

Health will be key, as always. But this should be a top five defense.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I'm really wondering if Dan Quinn and Brian Schottenheimer will compare with Dave Wannestedt and Norv Turner under Jimmy Johnson.

If that ends up happening (which I can see with Schotty), then this team is going to be truly special. I'm excited to see how this team develops

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
We’ve been hoping for another Doomsday for many years. Looked promising the first half of the last season, despite our issues against the run until our pass rush fell off. We have to get better against the run and maintain a steady pass rush throughout the season if we’re ever going to have another Doomsday. We can’t be coughing up two and three score leads, and laying an egg against a rookie QB. Our defense still has a ways to go.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Any nickname with a sequel is lame and corny. If they are good enough they need to blaze their own trail
Oh, the bite of their heads and pee down the nubbers...

but aggressive and with heart still remains.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Quinn spent much of the season testing players to find strengths and weaknesses in their game.
Come playoff time he dialed up plays showcasing everybody's best and it showed. This year I see the defense starting off rock solid and becoming elite.

Of course this is somewhat predicated on the offense not doing 3 and outs all game.

But I think we'll be name worthy before it's all said and done.

Screw The Hall

Reaction score
The Cowboys DL is far from great. Their starting 3 tech is just solid. Their NT is a promising rookie. Lawrence hasn't been an effective pass rusher in years.

The Eagles have a better DL. OL too.
You conveniently left off the best player from either team when you described the Cowboy's DL and as a team's 2nd best DE Tank is about as good as it gets, but overall, I do agree that Philly has a better DL and a much better OL. It can also be said that no other team in the league is better across both lines than Philly, so it's hard to knock Dallas for that.

T-RO

Reaction score
Such a stupid nickname. As bad as hotboys
Bite ya lip.

"Doomsday Defense" is Million times better. There was a lotta thought in the 60's about a "Doomsday Machine". Showed up in this timeless Star Trek episode. The planet crusher. The galaxy eater.

star_trek_doomsday_machine_by_gustvoc_dd3l4ae-fullview.jpg

And the theme is sure relevant today. Anyone doubting AI and robotics won't kill us simply isn't paying attention. Doomsday tech way more lethal than nukes.