CFZ Hoping for Doomsday IV

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
Yes bullet the possibilities are very intriguing it will be interesting to see if we can field a Hall of famer at every level like we used to have.
At this point Micah Parsons is our elite player and who the defense revolves around.
We're going to have to hope these young players get fast tracked to turn this into a true doomsday defense.

When I think of Doomsday I think of Randy White Harvey Martin Jethro Pugh and too tall Jones.
The buck stop there and so did most teams running games that was a dominant defensive line that we have yet to build the equal to
Many of us see we need to get stronger at DT.
We are close Jerry! Make a big move for a stud DT!

tunahelper

Reaction score
I wonder if we see Hankins at 1T and Mazi at 3T? Remember last year Quinn went with Hankins and Watkins inside.That would be a solid middle of the defense and clean up traffic for the linebackers.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Not at all...back then it meant aggressive with heart.

Exactly, and I think this defence is getting to that level of being aggressive with heart. If this defence is what I think it will be, this is going to be a ferocious defence on the level of the previous Doomsdays that we had. Hopefully, this will lead to a Lombardi coming our way.

Flamma

Reaction score
Its a very good one brewing my friend.
Just take a look at the Q influence and why this FO believes in Q and his quick build scheme.
He just turned probably the final page in a very short turnaround, and take a look at his depth and sit back and watch this last harvest totally accentuate and possibly complete this D.
Not many teams D can compare... Q has his guys now to run a very physical and aggressive D.
Oh I see what he's doing, and the pieces we're getting. I'm hopeful. After all, he's the last one to have a truly elite defense in the last decade plus.

Screw The Hall

Reaction score
I wonder if we see Hankins at 1T and Mazi at 3T? Remember last year Quinn went with Hankins and Watkins inside.That would be a solid middle of the defense and clean up traffic for the linebackers.
I think in obvious running downs, especially against run heavy teams (like Philly), that's exactly what they'll do. The goal should be to put Philly in obvious passing downs, then see if Hurts can beat you throwing the football.

blueblood70

Reaction score
The 2023 version of the Cowboys are still three and a half months away from the regular testing ground. But already it’s easy to see why there’s a buzz about the potential for this defense. With the additions of Stephon Gilmore and Mazi Smith, and another year of maturation for Micah Parsons, it’s not hard to be enthused about the possibilities of a true top shelf defense.

Could we be looking at another “Doomsday Defense”? As in “Doomsday IV”? We will know if/when the following criteria, which all three prior versions of Doomsday D’s met:
  • Winning an NFC championship
  • Winning a SB
  • Having at least 2 All Pros
With that criteria in mind, here are the prior gold standard Doomsday versions:
  • Doomsday I- 1966-74– Won 2 NFC Championships and one Lombardi. Perennial All Pro and HOFer Bob Lily was the anchor along with All Pros and HOFers Mel Renfro, and Chuck Howley and All Pro Lee Roy Jordan. Lily retired in 74 and so did Jordan and Howley, brining the end of the first Doomsday unit.
  • Doomsday II1975-82– Fueled by the great ‘75 “Dirty Dozen” draft, D-II won 3 NFC Championships, and a SB- this group was led by All Pros and HOFers Randy White and Cliff Harris, All Pro Harvey Martin, Pro Bowlers Too Tall Jones and Thomas “Hollywood“ Henderson.
  • Doomsday III1991-1996– 3 NFC Championships, 3 Lombardis. Led by HOFers and All Pros Charles Hailey and Deion Sanders, AllPro Darren Woodson, Russell Maryland, SB 30 MVP Larry Brown, along with James Washington.
The revered and time honored “Doomsday” title must be earned. This year’s talented D could be the beginning of a “Doomsday IV“. But we should never use that title until they win a bunch of playoff games like their predecessors.

Here’s hoping we get a “Doomsday IV” back in Big D starting in 2023.
they dont need a name just get it done in the playoffs. i mean if you want label you have to make those pays lie Diggs missed ie hit on kittles or that INT would have changed that game,. Offense was the issue but if you want a championship d label lie the 85 bears/2k ravens/dallas doomsday you must make all those plays. But did Dallas 90s teams have name or did they just go out and get it done as group? no names needed but the D could use some help those 90s teams like the ravens and bears team RAN the ball at will they had an identity they shortened the game on offense and this team has lost the last 3 playoff games because the OL and run game wasn't doing their part. it will always be a team game and that type of complimentary run the ball with physical offense and the D does the rest, that what wins the big games. people forget those named Ds had an offense that helped them play less series.

everyone mocks those labels like romo or dak friendly when they incorporate and dominate run game but umm Riger and TRoy both had the same type of offense in their biggest years.. those OLs and run games were string physical and made it easier to play offense and defense.. you all act lie thats a new concept, its not and its not saying your qbs weak and needs help, its complimentary ball.

KC used this concept inthe 2nd half and won the game they were behind all game until they switched it up. eagles all of sudden couldn't run and lost.

Last edited:

Flamma

Reaction score
Doomsday III1991-1996– 3 NFC Championships, 3 Lombardis. Led by HOFers and All Pros Charles Hailey and Deion Sanders, AllPro Darren Woodson, Russell Maryland, SB 30 MVP Larry Brown, along with James Washington.
I wasn't able to watch Doomsday I. Too young. Doomsday two was wicked. I now go back and watch many of those games at work on you tube. I still remember a lot of those games. But can we really call the 90s Cowboys D Doomsday? I know they were really good. Exceptional at times. In my personal opinion, they were a more balanced team. An exceptional offense with a really good defense. I'm just not sure they rose to the level of Doomsday. What are your thoughts on it?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
The offseason and training camp is a time for renewed optimism and hope .

But defining Doomsday comes with #1 Rankings, stuffing the run game and playing for championships . None of which this defense has aspired to .

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I wasn't able to watch Doomsday I. Too young. Doomsday two was wicked. I now go back and watch many of those games at work on you tube. I still remember a lot of those games. But can we really call the 90s Cowboys D Doomsday? I know they were really good. Exceptional at times. In my personal opinion, they were a more balanced team. An exceptional offense with a really good defense. I'm just not sure they rose to the level of Doomsday. What are your thoughts on it?
I think we can call the 90’s defense Doomsday. At least early on . In 1992 Cowboys had the #1 Defense.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
If the Cowboys can become the #1 defense or Doomsday then we can hold our offense and more particular our QB if it falters more accountable if we still come up short in the playoffs

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Our original Doomsday still holds record for lowest scoring playoff game in NFL history . 5-0 over Detroit in 1970 playoffs .

And of course the only Super Bowl a team didn’t give up a TD. 24-3 in SB VI.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
The top sign this defense is becoming top caliber is if we begin stuffing the running game.

That’s been this defenses greatest weakness which was exploited in recent playoff losses this era.

Until we can shut down the run we will never be considered a great defense .

Diehardblues

Reaction score
The defense was night and day from Nolan to Quinn. And improved in year two. No reason it will not be even better in year three.
The biggest concerns are injuries.

Last year is a good example. Once both our starting CB’s went down our defense wasn’t as dominating as it was early on . And then Parsons had some lingering injury issues as well.

Most of all we must shut down the running game .

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Quite comical to say Dallas must win a championship or the defense can't earn "Doomsday IV" moniker....when Doomsday I was recognized and appreciated when the Cowboys weren't even a good winning team overall, and the defense wasn't even ranked #1

In 1964, sports writer Gary Cartwright of the Dallas Morning News coined the phrase "Doomsday Defense". That team went 5-8-1.

Here were the initial win-loss records for Doomsday 1:
1964: 5-8-1
1965: 7-7
1966: 10-3-1...playoff loss to Packers
1967: 9-5...championship loss to Packers
1968: 12-2...playoff loss to Browns
1969: 11-2-1...playoff loss to Browns

Numerous years in this stretch Dallas wasn't even in the top 3 of defenses in points allowed.

The ability of fans here to nostalgically "polish history" is pretty funny sometimes.

I say if Dallas is top 5 in each:
-Points allowed
-Sacks
-Turnovers

It's Doomsday IV, even if they don't go to the playoffs.
One key stat you are missing and the basis for how defenses are historically measured. Total yards.

I’d agree that defense became Doomsday before 1966. Well done .

Diehardblues

Reaction score
They're not good enough along the DL to be in consideration.
And that is probably where any comparisons to former Doomsdays is flawed. Based at least on what we have seen thus far this DL doesn’t measure up at all.

TexasHillbilly

Reaction score
The D is gonna suck.

Just a little reverse psychology. Think the worst, hope for the best. :laugh:

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You conveniently left off the best player from either team when you described the Cowboy's DL and as a team's 2nd best DE Tank is about as good as it gets, but overall, I do agree that Philly has a better DL and a much better OL. It can also be said that no other team in the league is better across both lines than Philly, so it's hard to knock Dallas for that.
I was listing the reasons why they aren't great. I didn't conveniently leave out anything.