CFZ Hoping for Doomsday IV

CCBoy

Reaction score
While it hasn't been a pressing issue by any means to this point, contract extension talks around Trevon Diggs, CeeDee Lamb, Micah Parsons and Dak Prescott have been slowly starting to generate some interest.

"That group, we feel really good about," Jones said on the topic of re-signing each long-term. "I feel like as we move forward, it'll all be about timing, but we feel good that we can work within the parameters of the cap and make those types of things happen."

https://www.dallascowboys.com/news/jones-on-4-extensions-not-daunting-it-s-doable

Two defensive top stars as well as two offensive top stars is pretty big...

Contracts

plasticman

Reaction score
Very good discussion. Thanks for opening points up.

The Cowboys were caught by the creation of free agency and the change of a salary cap...then, That coupled with star player injuries, but older players, hurt longevity during the five year dynasty then.

Today, Stephen has grudgingly held back until salary cap and it's projections remain a team strength and very flexible. Match this with long contracts for star players, and the media influxes in NFL league revenues makes this problem even more manageable from year to year. I can see a 5-8 year window of very competitive opportunity. Then the 'gods' of football have to be dealt with, and the importance of depth critical.

Dallas has pretty good depth, and is past having to invest in defensive end pressures and a rotation there. For now.

For now, fast is the adjective for the offense.
I have to admit that the franchise management has improved greatly in the area of the salary cap and distribution. The result is the improvement in depth that you noted. The defense seems to have enough depth to compensate for a "fair share" of possible injury issues with the exception of CB depth.

I guess you can't have everything and if Kelvin Joseph and/or Nashton Wright can turn the early part of their careers around then even CB depth is no longer a concern.

In the next few seasons there are going to be challenges, in particular, the contracts of Diggs and Parsons. In the past, too many large contracts destroyed depth. It seemed as though the backup to each starter was some undrafted free agent with a minimum wage contract. Today, many of the defensive starters are backed up by young draft picks with the potential to challenge for the starting position.

Generally speaking, the depth of most NFL teams are not as high quality as the pre-21st century due to the salary cap and free agency and so another element to maintaining a dominant defense has to do with injuries. The Cowboys defense had a normal amount of injuries over the past two seasons, around 16%, and that has really helped.

We saw what injuries could do to a defense in 2020 when starters missed 39% of Cowboys games. This was not just attributed to covid. the Cowboys started that season without three of their four projected starters on the D-line.

CCBoy

Reaction score
I have to admit that the franchise management has improved greatly in the area of the salary cap and distribution. The result is the improvement in depth that you noted. The defense seems to have enough depth to compensate for a "fair share" of possible injury issues with the exception of CB depth.

I guess you can't have everything and if Kelvin Joseph and/or Nashton Wright can turn the early part of their careers around then even CB depth is no longer a concern.

In the next few seasons there are going to be challenges, in particular, the contracts of Diggs and Parsons. In the past, too many large contracts destroyed depth. It seemed as though the backup to each starter was some undrafted free agent with a minimum wage contract. Today, many of the defensive starters are backed up by young draft picks with the potential to challenge for the starting position.

Generally speaking, the depth of most NFL teams are not as high quality as the pre-21st century due to the salary cap and free agency and so another element to maintaining a dominant defense has to do with injuries. The Cowboys defense had a normal amount of injuries over the past two seasons, around 16%, and that has really helped.

We saw what injuries could do to a defense in 2020 when starters missed 39% of Cowboys games. This was not just attributed to covid. the Cowboys started that season without three of their four projected starters on the D-line.
My guess is that we shall see how close Stephen gets his Father, Jerry, to fully functional and again on top of the picture for Dallas.

I'm thinking there is enough partially proven CB talent, if it continues to grow, to fill out injury concerns with some shown talent.

Me, I want a good power runner and strong linebacker...right now.

Last edited:

Flamma

Reaction score
On paper, this is their best defense since 95. They have improved the last 2 years and now in year 3 with Quinn this defense looks ready to take another step. Can’t wait to see how they play.
I would love that. They don't need to be the '86 Giants. The '95 Cowboys is good enough for me. Hell, even the '96 Cowboys were a good defense.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I would love that. They don't need to be the '86 Giants. The '95 Cowboys is good enough for me. Hell, even the '96 Cowboys were a good defense.
Well, along with that top 5 caliber defense we had we also had a top 5 offense with a dominating running game , ball control offense and QB which as we saw when we had a pounding running attack with Murray and with Elliott early on it aided the defense.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
My guess is that we shall see how close Stephen gets his Father, Jerry, to fully functional and again on top of the picture for Dallas.

I'm thinking there is enough partially proven CB talent, if it continues to grow, to fill out injury concerns with some shown talent.

Me, I want a good power runner and strong linebacker...right now.
Yep but we don’t have a power runner right now. And I’m not sure how we expect to pound the rock with Pollard who is more of a finesse speed back.

I am concerned a RB by Committee could fail terribly. And place too much pressure on Prescott and passing game . Which won’t help the defense .

Manster68

Reaction score
This Cowboys defense might have the best group of corners I have seen the team have. They also might have the best group of safeties. They also may have the best group of DE's. The DT's of the 90's were better by a fair amount but if Mazi works out, this might be the second best group since most of the teams of the past 30 years or so sucked.

Only LB kind of sticks out as a "meh" group and that's assuming Parsons is primarily an edge rusher.

Regardless, the defense has a boatload of depth and quality combined with an elite coordinator. Should be really a special team as long as they can stay healthy.
The greatest secondary was from the 1971 Super Bowl VI team.
There were 3 Hall of Famers in Mel Renfro, Herb Adderley, and Cliff Harris.
The other Safety, Cornell Green, was the guy Landry used to blanket Warfield in the Super Bowl. The former basketball player - Go figure.
You also had a young Charlie Waters and Mark Washington on the bench.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
The greatest secondary was from the 1971 Super Bowl VI team.
There were 3 Hall of Famers in Mel Renfro, Herb Adderley, and Cliff Harris.
The other Safety, Cornell Green, was the guy Landry used to blanket Warfield in the Super Bowl. The former basketball player - Go figure.
You also had a young Charlie Waters and Mark Washington on the bench.
Yep

Throw in Lilly and Howley for a total of 5 HOFamers on that defense . With several other All Pro like Cornell Green, George Andre and Lee Roy Jordan .

I’d argue until the cows come home that the Original Doomsday not only had the most talent but was the greatest.