CFZ Hoping for Doomsday IV

gtb1943

Reaction score
D III had DL that was very good and deep. 1993= Haley of course, Lett and Maryland, but you had Tolbert and Hennings and Casillas as well. Lett was a HOF talent that let the junk get to him but at this time he was elite. Maryland was Pro Bowl level at his best. Caillas and Hennings were extremely strong and solid. Tolbert led them all with 7.5 sacks

To claim this D line is up to that level is to be sniffing LOTS OF GLUE.

GMO415

Reaction score
From the DC.com podcast shows they unanimously state this defense is a championship defense if everyone stays healthy. Most teams won't be able to just pose their will on them.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The Cowboys DL is far from great. Their starting 3 tech is just solid. Their NT is a promising rookie. Lawrence hasn't been an effective pass rusher in years.

The Eagles have a better DL. OL too.
No question the eagles have a better DL. I’m not as sure about their overall defense being better. Them adding Jalen Carter could be trouble- for the rest of the league or the eagles. He‘s unquestionably talented but his work and team ethics are certainly questionable.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No question the eagles have a better DL. I’m not as sure about their overall defense being better. Them adding Jalen Carter could be trouble- for the rest of the league or the eagles. He‘s unquestionably talented but his work and team ethics are certainly questionable.
Carter and Davis, both have questionable work ethics. This is boom or bust. When Dallas drafted a few players like this, holy hell breaks loose. But when the Eagles do it, they are geniuses.

Those 2 along with what seems the entire Georgia defense, I still think it back fires on them. Maybe it will just take a few years to settle in though as well. I could be wrong, but just do not see that making their defense elite right away. When it had it's issues anyway at times.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Carter and Davis, both have questionable work ethics. This is boom or bust. When Dallas drafted a few players like this, holy hell breaks loose. But when the Eagles do it, they are geniuses.

Those 2 along with what seems the entire Georgia defense, I still think it back fires on them. Maybe it will just take a few years to settle in though as well. I could be wrong, but just do not see that making their defense elite right away. When it had it's issues anyway at times.
Yea but the potential is probably off the charts . Imagine if we were adding that level of talent to our defense and what our optimistically hopeful aspirations would be .

And these two talents Egirls added to their already top 5 caliber defense could become the greatest defense in the league .

I’d also add with the Cowboys dysfunctional or toxic culture most of this era , we haven’t been a good place for problem off the field talent without the proper discipline in place .

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I think the Egirls are building a defense that can stifle the greater teams and Elite QB’s in AFC as they look to be in position to be on top of NFC for at least a couple years if not more.

In other words they are building to win the Super Bowl , not just get there.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
From the DC.com podcast shows they unanimously state this defense is a championship defense if everyone stays healthy. Most teams won't be able to just pose their will on them.
Unfortunately we are now in same division as the best team in NFC. And unless we can knock them off we will be on the road in playoffs again probably with a better record than any of our opponents except the Egirls.

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
The 2023 version of the Cowboys are still three and a half months away from the regular testing ground. But already it’s easy to see why there’s a buzz about the potential for this defense. With the additions of Stephon Gilmore and Mazi Smith, and another year of maturation for Micah Parsons, it’s not hard to be enthused about the possibilities of a true top shelf defense.

Could we be looking at another “Doomsday Defense”? As in “Doomsday IV”? We will know if/when the following criteria, which all three prior versions of Doomsday D’s met:
  • Winning an NFC championship
  • Winning a SB
  • Having at least 2 All Pros
With that criteria in mind, here are the prior gold standard Doomsday versions:
  • Doomsday I- 1966-74– Won 2 NFC Championships and one Lombardi. Perennial All Pro and HOFer Bob Lily was the anchor along with All Pros and HOFers Mel Renfro, and Chuck Howley and All Pro Lee Roy Jordan. Lily retired in 74 and so did Jordan and Howley, brining the end of the first Doomsday unit.
  • Doomsday II1975-82– Fueled by the great ‘75 “Dirty Dozen” draft, D-II won 3 NFC Championships, and a SB- this group was led by All Pros and HOFers Randy White and Cliff Harris, All Pro Harvey Martin, Pro Bowlers Too Tall Jones and Thomas “Hollywood“ Henderson.
  • Doomsday III1991-1996– 3 NFC Championships, 3 Lombardis. Led by HOFers and All Pros Charles Hailey and Deion Sanders, AllPro Darren Woodson, Russell Maryland, SB 30 MVP Larry Brown, along with James Washington.
The revered and time honored “Doomsday” title must be earned. This year’s talented D could be the beginning of a “Doomsday IV“. But we should never use that title until they win a bunch of playoff games like their predecessors.

Here’s hoping we get a “Doomsday IV” back in Big D starting in 2023.
The D is the strength of this team— no question. They improved in their biggest areas of weakness: run defense up the middle, and #2 corner.

Lots of pass rush and takeaways the last 2 years. Underrated area of optimism?: An improved, efficient, ball control offense.

Last year the D dealt with an offense that struggled to consistently move the chains and turned the ball over far too much.

What might this D be able to accomplish if it is paired with an offense that eats up clock and allows them to play with a lead, rest for longer in between series, and play fewer snaps overall?

gtb1943

Reaction score
The D is the strength of this team— no question. They improved in their biggest areas of weakness: run defense up the middle, and #2 corner.

Lots of pass rush and takeaways the last 2 years. Underrated area of optimism?: An improved, efficient, ball control offense.

Last year the D dealt with an offense that struggled to consistently move the chains and turned the ball over far too much.

What might this D be able to accomplish if it is paired with an offense that eats up clock and allows them to play with a lead, rest for longer in between series, and play fewer snaps overall?
Only the very best of D's can win it all without at least a competent O. During its peak the Raven's D only won a single Lombardi.
The Great Bears D also only 1. The Bucs D of the early 2000's a single SB. SO even when you have a GREAT D you need an O that can at least assist.
Now to be blunt our D is not anywhere NEAR any of them; nor is it likely to be anytime soon. BUT on the other hand we have a better O than any of those teams had as well.

GMO415

Reaction score
Unfortunately we are now in same division as the best team in NFC. And unless we can knock them off we will be on the road in playoffs again probably with a better record than any of our opponents except the Egirls.
Did you see the iggles schedule? They're not winning the NFCE again. Every week it's the other team's SB.

Iggles should standby to standby.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If the e-girls win the division again back to back, it will be the first time the NFCE has had a back to back winner in nearly two decades. Is this ’23 version of Filly going to make history in the East this year? I have my doubts. Hurts is a good QB, but vastly overrated IMO. If he faces a lot of 3rd and longs he’s below average.

The Filly bunch is good and I respect what they’ve done. But are they”historic”? I have serious doubts.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
If the e-girls win the division again back to back, it will be the first time the NFCE has had a back to back winner in nearly two decades. Is this ’23 version of Filly going to make history in the East this year? I have my doubts. Hurts is a good QB, but vastly overrated IMO. If he faces a lot of 3rd and longs he’s below average.

The Filly bunch is good and I respect what they’ve done. But are they”historic”? I have serious doubts.
I wouldn’t define winning our division in back to back seasons as “ historic “. It’s been done many times . Just not in recent years.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Did you see the iggles schedule? They're not winning the NFCE again. Every week it's the other team's SB.

Iggles should standby to standby.
It wouldnt have even been close last year if Hurts doesn’t go down. Our schedule is brutal as well.

Always a possibility we can upset them but we will be underdogs. We could possibly be best two teams in NFC this year but unfortunately one will be on the road in the playoffs.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Here’s a little trivia for you :

What the best record for a Wild Card team in the playoffs?

Try it without looking up . Lol

Last edited:

gtb1943

Reaction score
Here’s a little trivia for you :

What the best record for a Wild Card team in the playoffs?

Try it without looking up . Lol
If I remember right, back in the 80's when New Orleans had a fine D they had like a 12-4 record but could not win the division. anyway that is my shot without looking it up

Diehardblues

Reaction score
This is the next issue Jethro should begin with NFL. Have the playoffs based on records not divisions . Like the NBA did a few years ago.

That way a team with better record isn’t on the road against lesser record teams .

Winning division would still be a qualifier for playoffs but not determine seedings.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
If I remember right, back in the 80's when New Orleans had a fine D they had like a 12-4 record but could not win the division. anyway that is my shot without looking it up
That’s one of several 12-4 teams who were wild cards.

I’ll give a hint . There are two 3 loss teams who went in as Wild Cards.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Cowboys could become first team in NFL history to be a Wild Card in consecutive seasons with 12 wins or more.

Now that would be “ historic” .

And I think could drive serious discussions about adjusting seedings.